The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
FamilyMike

Maybe found my new project

New guy here and am just getting addicted to looking at everyone's projects. I may be able to pick up a 54 five window for less than 850. It is complete with a non running six cylinder but less the grille. Anyone know how these six cylinders are? They easy to get going again....depending ofcourse on what is wrong. How hard or easy is it to swap a 8 cyl into this or would it be just the same work to convert to an s10 frame?
FamilyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
MrTucker

Re: Maybe found my new project

There are about 8 billion of these trucks out there, so the aftermarket is huge. The inline 6's are even more numerous (especially the 235), so again, parts are no problem. There are plenty of guys out there running hopped up I6's, but you're going to get the best bang for your buck from a 350, in my opinion. Pick up a LMC, Brother's, Classic Trucks, etc, catalog and you'll find everything you'll ever need to convert to a v8. Also, do some searching around on this site and read the numerous S10 conversions and you'll quickly find out just how easy and inexpensive those builds can be.

If your engine turns and isn't siezed - it should be no problem to get it running again. These engines are pretty bullet proof and 9 times out of 10 you can get them running again, but a full rebuild (at least a new set of gaskets) is never a waste of time or money. Or - check out craigslist or ebay. I've seen so many running I6's for sale for just a few hundred bucks.

Either way you choose to go, these trucks are pretty cheap to build, depending on what your overall goal is. I've seen guys build solid daily drivers for just a few grand.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

'54s are the bestest! With that you can swap in a 235 all the way up to '62 if you just drill the front mount holes! Grilles are a little less common for that year but they are out there (I've got 3 and always buy them when I can!)

S10s are OK but you run into fun there, too. Some stuff fits great, others take a bit. In the end you'll have something that rides better than an old truck. A Dakota is a winner if you need a frame swap as well.

Do what you want, its your truck!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
FamilyMike

I am just nervous about the whole frame swap thing. I hear good and bad about both the AD kits and s10 swaps and I actually never heard about the Dakota swaps. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew. LOL Decisions, decisions. I mean, I am not going cross country or anything but just to tool around locally. Not sure if it would be worth restoring with originally stuff. I guess would be a wash anyway one would look at it. I am going to try to get out where the truck is to get some other pics and get a real good look at it this week. Time will tell. LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
LEEVON

If you just want to tool around town, rebuild the stock suspension and get a later inline 6 paired with a 5 speed. You'll be cruisin cheap and easy! If your motor doesn't come alive (which it should they're like tractors, can't kill 'em) you can pick up another for next to nothing. Had a guy try to sell me a tuned up and running 235 for $100 last weekend. V8 swaps look pretty simple, the biggest issue is the steering shaft fighting the exhaust from what I can tell. Pick up a running sbc on Craigslist, rattle can it, add some old school touches and go!

Last edited by LEEVON; 03-30-2010 at 11:12 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Since I've been around here I've seen a lot of different builds and ideas. Your I6 and straight axle will work just fine for what you're saying you want to do. Like what was said earlier you could find a later 6 and a 5 speed; that would be a good combo. If you compare prices on all the different possible ways to build your truck up you will find that every way is about the same cost give or take a few hundred dollars. Honestly for one of my next builds I'm going to use the original frame and just update the breaks to disk front and hop up the engine a bit.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Bigblue29
Thanks 'til you're better paid

Welcome! I have a '50 and run a 235 I6 out of a '61 c10. I love it.
Attached Images

1950 Chevy AD 3100 pickup
2000 GMC Sierra

1970 Jeepster Commando
Bigblue29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
MrTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMike View Post
I am just nervous about the whole frame swap thing. I hear good and bad about both the AD kits and s10 swaps and I actually never heard about the Dakota swaps...
It depends on what skills you have, for the S10 swap. The body mounts can be done using the original S10 body mounts, but will need some custom fab work for the radiator support, the bed and the running boards. The AD swap kit is good, but the EZ chassis swap kit is totally complete, which will run you about $1800 or so. The EZ swap kit will allow you to do the swap in a weekend, literally. It comes with everything you need to swap your '54 body, engine/tranny (whether it's a 6cyl or a V8), onto an S10 chassis with no problems. BUT - you'll still need to get everything welding together. Doing the S10 swap will give you modern suspension and a stronger frame, for about the cost of just a Mustang II front IFS. By the time you purchase an S10 and the chassis swap kit, you'll be at about the same price as a Mustang II IFS and maybe even a rear suspension set up - so it's kind of a wash, price wise. It just depends on what you want for a suspenson. With the S10 swap - you'll be able to go to any parts store for parts, as there are a gazillion S10's out there.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
FamilyMike

Guy still has the truck.....I been looking at 67-72 and pre 67.....trucks are addicting....LOL. He has it for 750 and he would deliver. I might be able to get for $500 which would be sweet!!!! In Georgia so only need bill of sale!! I sent him an email to see if he can get me some pics. I never made it out there. Patience....LOL