The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
izonme13

Whats the truth about POR15?

I have read all kinds of things about this product. From you need a base coat of primer first. All the way to this stuff peels off and such. Anyone with real info about POR15 please give me input. I only want to do the frame once, yes it wont be a total show truck. However I wont want to pull it apart once its completed either. Thanks
izonme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
4DSEVEN

Re: Whats the truth about POR15?

I'd say it works very well as long as you use the Marine Wash and the Metal Ready before applying.

You do not use primer. I grinded and wirewheeled my frame as much as I could beforehand also.

Here is a pic of my frame with POR15. I applied this with a foam brush btw.

4DSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
blackdiesel

I painted my frame with it the first time. Looked great to start with, after a little over a year of sitting outside (with the truck finshed) it chalked really bad at the wheel wells. Tryed to scuff the areas and reapply, and that peeled off in big sheets. SO if you going to use it, only use it as directed by the can. POR stands for (paint over rust). Even indirect sun light will chalk it, it can only be topcoated within a small window, and it won't stick to shiny metal without it's own primer. It does flow out very well with a brush, but I doubt your top coat will. Now I have my frames sandblasted then I use epoxy primer and topcoat with a single stage with hardner in it. Much better than that crap (JMO)
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
addicted2dunes
Insane In The Membrane

I used it on one of my frames. Not very impressed. Like blackdiesel says, "it chalks up," which is totally true, did on mine also. I would never use it again just won't stay the way you want it for years to come. It will look faded after about 2 years.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
CTZR1

I used it on my frame as well infact I am not done with it. I pulled the engine and now got that front end all cleaned up and as soon as it warms up a little I will por15 the rest of it. then top coat the whole under carrage
From what I hear you have to top coat it or else it deteriates. The UV eats it up.
I know people who swear by it as the doit yourselfer type.
Otherwise there are other means that donot require you to Paint Over Rust
CTZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

I've never used it, I get tractor paint from Tractor Supply.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Thadious

I went down the path of using Zero Rust on mine. Bonds very well, slightly rubbery coating, even after an entire year, and absolutely no chalking. I've had no issues with touchup either and never peeled a bit. IMO, the way to go if you're not going to topcoat it.

Cheers,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
hotrodsbyray

I've used it on 3 vehicles. On the 1st one I very strictly followed their recommendations to a T. It was on a frame that had been dip stripped and then scuffed with green pad. Worked well. Chalked after about year and a half of just sitting in a garage! I think they have some type UV protection additive now?

On the second frame places peeled off in sheets like a bad sunburn. I thought I had followed the directions well. That frame had not been dipped just used a 3M wheel. I think the areas that peeled probably had some grease or oil on the metal. You cannot use it over paint, even if sanded and prepped unless you use their thick gooey hard to use if even thinned primer.

3rd one is my current 57 and used minimal prep. Just brushed off the thick stuff. However I cleaned it well with acetone. So far it is sticking. I only used it in a couple spots until I can decide my final course with the frame.

I tried some Eastwood silver rust encapsulator. Does not flow nearly as smoothly as the POR and I will have to sand out the brush marks (they look hideous right now) and redo with something else.
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
kustombrad

For me I'm not a big fan because of how shiny it is. I'm a huge fan of semi gloss/egg shell tone black and POR just doesn't do it for me.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=320546
kustombrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
OrrieG

I used it on my front and back springs and painted over with chassis paint. Truck has been inside for 3 years since I did it and it looks fine. Also used in on non exposed areas like bottom of firewall, inside firewall, cab floor and over painted too. I sure hope it doesn't peal off because I used it on my Chevelle back window sill when I repaired that.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
ozzie50

I used this stuff called rust bullet. Its about the same price. It probably isn't the greatest thing on Earth either, compared to epoxy then a top coat. But, I used it on the under side of a 57 wagon and after a year it held up (no telling what is really happening under this stuff anyways). It is tough as nails also hit it many times with a wirebrush didn't come off. They have a chassis black formula or silver. I brushed it on, I will warn you it dries hard and doesn't level out. I cleaned the area with ospho first. I am going to use it in the floor of my 50.
ozzie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
lonelywanderer

i used in on one of my old car and it help but you need to cover it with paint as the sun starts to affect it and it starts coming off if your painting something on the outside
lonelywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie50 View Post
I used this stuff called rust bullet. Its about the same price. It probably isn't the greatest thing on Earth either, compared to epoxy then a top coat. But, I used it on the under side of a 57 wagon and after a year it held up (no telling what is really happening under this stuff anyways). It is tough as nails also hit it many times with a wirebrush didn't come off. They have a chassis black formula or silver. I brushed it on, I will warn you it dries hard and doesn't level out. I cleaned the area with ospho first. I am going to use it in the floor of my 50.
I like rust bullet. I sprayed it and it lays out nice when sprayed. I used it on my gas tank and it dries hard as a rock. I also used zero rust and I like it.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
mdstitt

I've used it on several projects with very good results. It CLEARLY states that it must be topcoated to avoid UV damage, so I don't know why everyone seems surprised that it chalked without topcoat.

Also, it doesn't matter how shiny it is because, again it is supposed to be topcoated. If the directions and application tips are followed, it works well.

I applied POR-15 black with their ChassisCoat black topcoat on the frame of my 2001 GMC Sierra about 3 years ago. With all the salt they use in PA for the winter, it still looks great and rust has not reappeared.

Their website has many tips on the use of their products also.
mdstitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
1952ssr

I used Chassis Saver on my frame, it was rusted really bad. I liked it for the most part, it had a little more shine than I wanted. I have had instances where I bent the frame and it chipped as if it was like a eggshell. So time had past and I only had used half of my gallon and it had skimmed over so I chisseled (literly) the dried part, stirred it and applied it on some newly added pieces and it dried with a satin look which looked better. The first picture was after I did the frame and a-arms, the second notice the difference in the running board, the bed mount and the frame.
Attached Images

1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote