The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Fat Mike

Using A Subframe?

When using a section of a frame, like subframe or rear section or frame do you have to have the title of that frame as well as the original frame? I keep getting so many parts that I would like to use them to fix a few frames I have laying around the yard but not sure if I need the title to those frame also.

Thanx!
Fat Mike
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Kim57

Re: Using A Subframe?

Mike
I don't think you need the titles to the sub frames. I don't have the one for the sub used on my build. Most will have no numbers on them that would pertain to your build.
I would think the VIN on the body is what would get used to register the vehicle.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
When using a section of a frame, like subframe or rear section or frame do you have to have the title of that frame as well as the original frame? I keep getting so many parts that I would like to use them to fix a few frames I have laying around the yard but not sure if I need the title to those frame also.

Thanx!
Fat Mike
You should be OK just using the VIN from the Body. That is what I am doing.

Marc
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
rjs53

Mike it depends on the law of the state you live in. Last week i found a 73 vette, body was junk but frame was complete asked the junk yard what they wanted and lucky for me the guy called the DMV before selling it to me. in Nevada if you have a titled auto such as an AD truck, you can do what you want to it no problem. If you don't have a title you have to take it to DMV where they will inspect it and if anything has been done such as a newer subframe or motor/trans it will be titled as a 2010 and have to follow all inspections and requirements for a new vehicle. You probably have a title but i would check with your DMV before making any mods even though I've never heard of anyone having a problem each state is differant
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote