The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #1
49ads10

which tank for ls build

I hate posting as I know this info is all over the place, so sorry in advance for the stupid question. I am trying to figure out the best option for the fuel system. I have swapped my 49 over onto an 86 S-10 frame. The s-10 had a2.8l TBI so I've got to change tanks and pumps to do it right. I've seen many different routes. Tankinc with a mid 60's mustang tank setup for FI, run their pump with the walbro pumps, etc. Total setup though would run 500+. Was also thinking about grabbing a newer blazer tank with the 4.3L engine so it would be setup FI. They grabbing a new walbro and just swapping pumps. Would that work? That would run about $350.

Either way I still have to deal with regulator, lines, fittings, etc so those costs are separate.

What are you guys with S-10 LS setups running?
49ads10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: which tank for ls build

What year LS is it? Some have returns some have no returns.
Next where do you want the tank placed? In the stock S10 position or at the back of the truck under the bed?

If you leave the stock tank in I believe you can just change the pump , reuse the pump hanger and sender and be done with it. You would need a regulator
Return lines if needed should already be there and you could reuse them, If you use a corvette filter regulator it will be a return less system and you just plumb the filter return back to the tank.

If you put it under the bed in the back then you need an EFI tank, pump, sender, corvette filter/regulator, plumbing and a way to hang the tank.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
49ads10

thanks for the reply. it is an 06 returnless. I've already yanked the old tank out. It was the side mount. I was going to put a new one behind the rear axle. The 2.8l was TBI so i don't believe the stock tank was setup for EFI (baffled inside basically to keep from starving the pump). I've already swapped to 80lb injectors and plan on a turbo before I finish so I am worried if I just drop a big pump in and its not baffled i'll have problems. I guess I've alredy decided to go with a different tank and the 2nd setup you've described. I'm having a hard time figuring out what years blazer had EFI tanks and then what pump/sending unit works. I've been wondering around rockauto. See some pictures of the attached thread. This is along the lines I'm thinking just don't know what years/part #'s to use. Hate to order and send back multiple times you know.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/8...-build-678994/
Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
57chevyman

i dont have EFI, but i am happy with my '65 mustang tank from tanks inc for my set up

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

With S10 being 34" frame you should be able to use either a Camaro EFI tank or a mustang EFI tank depending on where you want the fill to come out and how you want to mount it. They both have a 4.3 liter fuel tray in them so the pump stays in the fuel at all times. The return keeps the tray full even when the tank is actually lower on fuel.

This picture is a Camaro tank on a stock frame with a fender fill. It could easily be a rear fill behind a license plate or a bed fill.
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
BlueJeep

I used a stock S10 tank and a different pump for my 5.3. If it was a TBI, the tank is setup for EFI. It doesn't have baffles, rather it has a little pan it sits in that keeps fuel from sloshing away from the pump when it's low. New aftermarket tank for an s10 is a little over $100 and bolts right in.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=365

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler

Last edited by BlueJeep; 09-08-2015 at 06:06 PM.
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
49ads10

thanks bluejeep. That's what I wasn't sure of. Did not know if the TBI tank was had a tray. I plan on going turbo on my 4.8 so I want to make sure it isn't starved.

The tank I was thinking is a 94 s-10 blazer w/ a 4.3L originally. I'll mount it behind the rear axle. Then I'll get the matching sender and stick a walbro 400 on it. I've read mixed reviews so I was thinking about going to a regulator other than the corvette since reviews I've read looks like it peaks about 500HP.

Can't seem to figure out how to post pictures in the message like you did but it looks the same as your sender above.

What pump did you use?