The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
wolffcub

My 1955 235 camshaft install

Been sitting around procrastinating with the install until late yesterday. Figured if I never got to it soon the season would be over and the truck in storage. First this about the install I was surprised about is getting access to the camshaft area. I have read lots of different installation techniques for the install ones that that say the full front clip has to be removed or the engine has to be drastically titled upward, and the best possible way is to fully remove the engine.

After 5 min of taking a very detailed look at the truck setup I don't quite fully understand why all so mush has to be done. I removed the hood latch shroud, front grille side retaining bolts from inside the fenders, removed the top two grille support cross braces and the 4 top bolts that hold the grille to the front face of the front fenders. The bumper was left on with only the most forward bolt left in so the unit can swing slightly down. The grille came out easily as one piece.

Next the rad was drained and unbolted and puller directly up and out of the rad support brace. This is where I'm confused........im getting full access to the cam area with nothing on the way and I never had to remove anything major as some others were indicating i would have to.

The crank pulley was easily pulled off with a puller, and the fan components removed.

Next was the oil pad for the only reason to get access to the two timing gear cover bolts that are installed from the inside. The pan was easy to pull off with the truck on stands. After the two bolts were out the timing cover was removed. I will be drilling out and tapping the two holes from the front of the engine just in case Ii ever need back into the timing gear area in the future and then I can keep the oil pan on. Still looks nice and clean inside. Nothing concerning was found in the bottom of the oil pan.

Was getting ready to clean up the oil pad and get in ready for the reinstall and found out I forgot to order a new pan gasket set. Now I'm on a mission to try to find one local and Napa or someplace like that. If all goes good today I should have time to rotate the engine to TDC, remove the distributer and remove the rest of the cam, and lifter components.

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!

Last edited by wolffcub; 08-21-2015 at 10:50 AM.
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
starterman99

Re: My 1955 235 camshaft install

Looks like your making good progress. keep it up and it will be running in no time.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
wolffcub

Almost finished!!

Got the timing gear cover off out to find that when it was rebuilt 4000 miles ago they installed a new aluminum gear. That was nice so i reused it and kept the other new one i just bought along with the thrust plate for my 261 build I am also currently doing.

Pulled the old lifters and push rods and swapped out the bumpstick and replaced with the new one. Installed the new lifters and rods. Was going to do the springs but something did not look correct with the spring tool i bought. before i opened it i knew it was for a rocker and stud setup. Looks like the old springs will be used for a bit till i have an excuse to remove the head one day.

Most of the job on this project was spent on my back under the truck cleaning the old gasket material from the block and installing the oil pan. What a pain in the ass!

Today is oil day! going to fill her up and prime it up nice and good and reinstall the distributor.

Also waiting for a crankshaft drilling / tap kit and I can finish the install.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
wolffcub

Got it all finished up on Friday / Saturday. Got my crank drill kit and got to work friday afternoon.

After drilling the crank hole that took about 1 hour to just go 1.25" deep i took the old balancer to the shop and resurfaced the center area to ensure the bolt washer would sit flush.

Drill Time!

Installation was easy and pulled right on with the installation kit.

Pulley Installed

Installing the rest of the removed parts went faster than i thought they would. Did a cold valve adjustment and did a the best i could to set the timing so it would run when started. The break in was done with new break in oil and bounced around 1500 - 2000 rpm for about 15-20 min. After the 20 min the valves needed a hot readjust as they they expanded and tightened up, the vacuum gauge also confirmed that as it was bouncing around.

The fine tuning was up next. The carb idles were increased as it would run rough and the full truck would shake. It now sitting at about 600-650 rpm and its almost as smooth as it was stock. Dialed the vacuum in to get the most on the dial then slightly backed it off for now. The max vacuum I can get with the new cam is 15 inches as compared to the stock 17 inches i was getting before.

The carbs also took a fair bit of leaning on the idle screw this time around before it would run funny. The valves talk much more now, even after driving around for a hour and re checking the valves they chatter more. Im guessing its from the new cam lobe profiles.

So after all that reading here is what i got out of the install engine related.

It Idles almost stock. Slight more rpm needed at idle and is has a slight deep rump tone in the exhaust. I love that because it sounds like something is hiding under the hood.

Bottom end feels changed just a fraction. It still pulls nice and smooth from starting but you can feel it lacking a bit from stock till you get going at 1200 rpm. When getting above the 1900 rpm ish area is now when you feel what the cam did. No longer does it fall on its face when it hits 2000rpm but rather just keeps going. Above 2000 rpm before was just a bunch of noise with little gain. Now at 2200 rpm it pulls, 2600 rpm pulls, 3000 rpm pulls, you get the point. At around 3400rpm is when it tops off and falls on its face.

When cruising between the 2000 rpm and 3000 rpm range now the engine sounds like its not struggling. It runs so smooth and even keeps a nicer lower exhaust tone. the engine now just makes a heavy hum at a higher rpm rather than a loud chatter. When putting the pedal to the floor you also notice a different rasp. Its a lower tone but still loud aggressive rasp.

I think the install was worth it. More driving time will bring up more comments from me im sure. I think its safe to say im going to install the same cam in my 261 build.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:30 AM   #5
tmoble

Wow, looked at your photobucket. That's a lot of nice stuff you've done there. Do you have a build thread that has more captions for the pics? Looks like you're an engineer that uses Solidworks a lot. Lots of questions about that tranny setup.

Looks like you weren't too impressed with the old Rochester carbs.

Is that a Dave Ray Small Body HEI? Build your own? Find a stocker to fit? Expiring minds want to know?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:45 AM   #6
tmoble

wolffcub, you still out there?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
wolffcub

Its from a 86 2.8l setup. Its from Tom L and he does some minor machine work to it to get it to fit.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
tmoble

Ok, I'll bite. Who is Tom L.? web site?

I looked for a build thread after I saw your photobucket, didn't find one? Is there one? There's some nice stuff you've done there.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
wolffcub

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/

Just pm me any questions and i will help the best i can.

Do a search with my name and im sure you can find some other bs i have shared on the site.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
tmoble

bs?? nonono, that's valuable reality based tech info not sponsored by a vendor.

which tranny did you end up with?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
wolffcub

85 t-5 code number 145