The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2018, 01:52 AM   #26
joedoh

Re: Camaro vs. Mustang II IFS overall cost after its all done

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post

These are my inexperienced ballpark figures. If you have more details based on your experiences, please share!

well, I havent done either! thats why my only contribution was to wonder why the corvette parts were cheaper and didnt need as much to rebuild haha. thought maybe there was a reason for it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #27
Shanehenrymusic

Hey Dave - LOVE you truck and Del is a good friend of mine! I'm currently building a 59 fleetside -check out the images on my build thread.. I'm going with C4 suspension on my build thread and we used progression automotive for the kits..
Shanehenrymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #28
whitedog76

[QUOTE=

The problem is that I don't know where to stumble upon a camaro subframe in Northern CA, and on Craigslist guys are selling them for $500. I dont have space to buy an entire camaro, steal the parts, and let the rest sit until its picked up for scrap. So a $500 start seems not great for a rusty subframe.

Regarding the choice itself, I don't have the welding skills to install the Camaro necessarily, but I have tack-welding skills and a Miller 211 and professional welders in the city who would like some side cash I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll throw something else out there. Why not a bolt in unit? Sounds like you have some space issues, along with neighborhood issues. Speedway has a bolt in kit, looks to be a Chassis Engineering unit. You could build the rest at your leisure.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolt-...ber,50961.html

When it comes to strength of the MII, most of the vendors offer forged steel spindles, which are way better than the OEM. Control arms on the other hand can be deceiving. The ones made from 10 gauge or better steel is what you want. Watch out for the ones that use the same ball joint top and bottom. Most vendors such as TCI, Heidts, Full Tilt, etc... have quality products and there's nothing to worry about.

Chris
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #29
Indian113

Too Bad you live SOO Far from Iowa! I have a Camaro sub frame I would Donate to somebody just to get it out of my Yard. I bought it and the TF I was trying to buy was sold out from under me.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 PM   #30
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
Ok, I'll throw something else out there. Why not a bolt in unit? Sounds like you have some space issues, along with neighborhood issues. Speedway has a bolt in kit, looks to be a Chassis Engineering unit. You could build the rest at your leisure.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolt-...ber,50961.html

Chris
This is for an AD, not a TF. I would probably just get a weld-in and have someone burn it in if I was going to get a mustang II kit. I've been also struggling lately with whether or not I should burn money by spending it on a long bed... Guys who want these are few and far between, and I have the longest of the long here.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:54 AM   #31
whitedog76

Scotts has a bolt in ifs http://www.scottshotrods.com/1955-19...s-bolt-on-ifs/
It’s top notch.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the modern IFS setups out there. The tubular A arms arm way better than the old radius arm setup. The spindle are forged steel, so there is plenty of strength there.

I have a 3600 truck with a long bed too. I’m using a Heidts crossmember and pro-touring spindles. I’m going to add an extra gusset to the rear of the crossmember. I’m confident it’s more than strong enough.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:24 AM   #32
bobinbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
This is for an AD, not a TF. I would probably just get a weld-in and have someone burn it in if I was going to get a mustang II kit. I've been also struggling lately with whether or not I should burn money by spending it on a long bed... Guys who want these are few and far between, and I have the longest of the long here.
In your fist post you show a picture of a long-bed 58 or 59 pickup. If that is the subject of this thread it is a Task Force truck not Advance Design...also pretty sure Camaro track is too wide for AD.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 AM   #33
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

$1000 front clip rebuilds? That's way outta my league. I buy junkyard clips, check the brakes, grease the bearings and drive 'em. Never had a problem yet.

Last edited by Jesse Z; 01-28-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #34
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
In your fist post you show a picture of a long-bed 58 or 59 pickup. If that is the subject of this thread it is a Task Force truck not Advance Design...also pretty sure Camaro track is too wide for AD.

Thats correct. The link that was posted as a suggested option was for an AD, not a Task Force, which is what I own.. so it wasn't applicable.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #35
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
Scotts has a bolt in ifs http://www.scottshotrods.com/1955-19...s-bolt-on-ifs/
It’s top notch.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the modern IFS setups out there. The tubular A arms arm way better than the old radius arm setup. The spindle are forged steel, so there is plenty of strength there.

I have a 3600 truck with a long bed too. I’m using a Heidts crossmember and pro-touring spindles. I’m going to add an extra gusset to the rear of the crossmember. I’m confident it’s more than strong enough.
Big bucks!! Looks pretty though.. and hey you can always just take it out and pop the leafs back on when you sell!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:19 AM   #36
vics stuff

I am using a heidts IFS kit when done looks like GM built the truck instead of a grafted front end off a camaro. I did weigh the pros and cons for a nice riding and factory look set up. For the minor extra cost I bought everything for the front end even a new tilt column.
This is my second kit from them. got what I paid for .
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:41 AM   #37
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Too Bad you live SOO Far from Iowa! I have a Camaro sub frame I would Donate to somebody just to get it out of my Yard. I bought it and the TF I was trying to buy was sold out from under me.
That's very kind of you! Someone nearby would love to put some beer in your hands for it I'm sure.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 AM   #38
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics stuff View Post
I am using a heidts IFS kit when done looks like GM built the truck instead of a grafted front end off a camaro. I did weigh the pros and cons for a nice riding and factory look set up. For the minor extra cost I bought everything for the front end even a new tilt column.
This is my second kit from them. got what I paid for .
Vic
Silly question perhaps, but would you spend that again on a truck you will sell in a few years?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #39
CountofMonteCarlo84

I have Flat Out and I LOVE it. My 57 rides and tracks down the road as good as my 2002 Camaro SS, but it does not handle the bumps as well.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote