The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
am0254338

AD Cab Dimensions

I have done a lot of searching to no avail...I am back on my 1950 chevy pickup after a few years of being away from it. I have gained a massive amount of knowledge since I did the cab rust repair, as I have been employed by an old school panel beater for two years now. Looking back on some of my sheet metal work i see a lot of things that are very amatuer and frankly just not good...Im sure im not the only one that has experienced this scenario lol...I had never fully welded the door pillar to the inner rocker and still hadnt installed the outer cowl panels. First thing i did after re approaching the project, was rebuild my hinges and hang the doors as this had not been done since the rust repair. I did brace between the front and rear pillar but did not properly cross brace or take measurements before cutting it all apart. As I had come to guess, my door alignment is way off. I am going to have to cut it back loose and redo some things to get the doors to fit peoperly.. the reason I am posting is to see if there is another post that someone can lead me to, that has some detailed cab dimensions especially in the door opening, or if someone is willing to take some measurements for me... I am not afraid to cut it back loose and now have the knowledge to do things right, but would love to have some measurements to reference. Height from floor to top of door opening for the front and back. Distance across door opening top and bottom, things like that. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy
am0254338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
whitedog76

Re: AD Cab Dimensions

The 47-54 Chevy assembly manual has alot of dimensions in it. Unfortunately it's rather hard to read/decipher.

I found these pictures here.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/
Attached Images

whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

could you not just measure your doors to get what you need....after all the doors are what you've got to make fit in the hole anyway..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 03-09-2018 at 02:36 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
MARTINSR

Not only that but these trucks weren't very consistent! My drivers door is about a quarter inch shorter at the body line than the passenger door!

You need to use the doors to make the cab fit them. DO NOT make the cab fit the measurements and then expect the door to fit. This isn't a 2015 Lexus.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Not only that but these trucks weren't very consistent! My drivers door is about a quarter inch shorter at the body line than the passenger door!

You need to use the doors to make the cab fit them. DO NOT make the cab fit the measurements and then expect the door to fit. This isn't a 2015 Lexus.

Brian
EXACTLY !!!!!!!!
Even the door that fit perfect on a donor truck may not fit right on another cab when you go to install it. My experience that isn't all good but is 45 years worth on these is that you fit the doors right then build around that rather than build then try to get the doors to fit.

The assembly manual is well worth the 30 something dollar investment for putting the cab together.

The other issue we run into on these trucks is that they were made in several plants around the country and the stamping dies may not have been the same or at the end of the run may have been worn a bit. Meaning that parts from one plant may or may not fit up with parts from another plant.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
mr48chev

I should add one thing. make sure that you cab is on a square and level surface icluding having the frame sitting level on stands to square things up. It is something that we don't often think about but if the shop floor or work area isn't perfectly level to begin with and the cab isn't perfectly square and level the end product won't be square and straight.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:41 AM   #7
dsraven

I second that mr48. add to it that in order to get the cab right it needs to have a good set of mounts under it and be bolted down properly like it would be normally.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I second that mr48. add to it that in order to get the cab right it needs to have a good set of mounts under it and be bolted down properly like it would be normally.
Yep, when I first chopped my truck in 74, I didn't have rear mounts on it, it was sitting on the frame with a block of wood. LOL That seriously caused me problems and I sure made certain that it's on new mounts all done right doing the "new" cab I am doing now, that was my FIRST and foremost step.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote