The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
68blackbird

'50 GMC build

First, thanks for all the help on last build, the '59 Apache rolled out a couple weeks ago, owner quite happy. That project was all paint & body work, new roof, floors, corners, door skins ect...this site was great help!

Rolled it out, rolled this in, 1950 GMC 1/2 ton. Truck is waaaaay better shape than the last, other than usual corners, floors, this truck is very solid, even has the running boards that like the rest of the truck, is very light surface rust.

Already have a LS4L60e out of 2002 Tahoe, just scored a 10 bolt out of '79 TA, just needs gears, welded in Mustang II IFS X member.

I think my next step is needing to get rear end& springs in finish putting front end together, then mock up LS/tranny. I am a paint & body guy, so I have jumped into a new world with the LS swap, tranny swap, ect. What I need now is info on what springs to use. I measured 52" for the original spring hangers. 1st question - can I use 52" (26/26) leafs with original hangers, , or do I need to go with the original springs (25 1/2-29"). Will the 26-26 change the center line for axles? Should I just remove original hangers and go with all new stuff, if so really look forward to any direction that way.

Hope that made sense? I'd like to keep close to original stance. I scored some really nice Foose wheels/tires 17-7, 235/40 frt - 17-9, 275/40 rear. I think once I get the spring/rear end done, I can really start cruising along. Thanks, Kel
Attached Images

68blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Root2812

Re: '50 GMC build

Welcome to the LS party! Looks like you're going a similar route as me. My project is slow (9 years and counting) but so far my 1950 Chevy has its Fatman Mustang II IFS installed and I went with a TCI rear leaf spring kit. I also have an 5.3L/4l60e combo between the frame rails. I am close to getting it to run.

Maybe we can exchange tips and ideas along the way. I won't fill your thread with pictures and stuff but you can check out my build thread in my signature if you like.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
68blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
Welcome to the LS party! Looks like you're going a similar route as me. My project is slow (9 years and counting) but so far my 1950 Chevy has its Fatman Mustang II IFS installed and I went with a TCI rear leaf spring kit. I also have an 5.3L/4l60e combo between the frame rails. I am close to getting it to run.

Maybe we can exchange tips and ideas along the way. I won't fill your thread with pictures and stuff but you can check out my build thread in my signature if you like.
Thanks for the reply Greg. Really hoping to get some good info on the spring issue. Once I have that ironed out, I should be moving along, I'll take a look at your build, maybe that will help, catch you soon, Kel

BTW, here is what I've done so far - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pzRG05T0NQWF9n
Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
68blackbird

If anyone could post pics of their non stock leaf spring setup, and a little info on, would be much appreciated, Kel
Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Root2812

Sorry photobucket's crap rules won't let you see the pics in my thread. Here are just a few of what my truck looks like. The TCI rear leaf spring kit lowered the truck about 3 inches but didn't move the wheels forward or backward. The kit is made for a 3 inch axle tube so I had to modify for my 3.25 inch tube.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
68blackbird

Thanks Greg. I went ahead and ordered the stock springs. I had removed the originals front hangers, thinking I was going to go in different direction, so for now, I tacked the hangers back on. Hope to get chassis rolling by the weekend, Kel
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
Jemezcrusher

The TCI parabolic rear kit I got for my 50 lowered, and centered the rear end in the fender wells. Stock is a bit toward the front.
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
68blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
The TCI parabolic rear kit I got for my 50 lowered, and centered the rear end in the fender wells. Stock is a bit toward the front.
Hmmm,
Quote:
Stock is a bit toward the front.
....how much is a bit? Once I get to that point, is it too much where I couldn't reset the fenders to adjust?