The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
dfrank

What should I do?

Right now I have a 2001 tahoe with 113,000 miles as a daily driver and my 1986 k10 that gets driven when it is nice out, but is going to be torn down for a full restoration this winter. I would like to get another square body for a daily driver. I found a 1988 Chevy Suburban with a factory 350/4 speed manual combo (I would prefer a manual over an automatic) on the local Craigslist that looks VERY clean in the pictures. I emailed the guy after I couldn't get a hold of him on the phone and he told me that he is selling it for his dad who will be out of town for 2 weeks. He told me it is very clean and the frame is solid and it has 146,000 miles on it. I think it was garage kept. Well the dilema is I really want it, but I would have to sell my tahoe or k10 to get it and I am NEVER selling my k10 (it was my first truck in high school). So should I sell the newer 2001 tahoe and get the older 1988 suburban? The tahoe hasn't really been too reliable. I have been fixing one thing after another, so far I have been able to fix everything myself but had to have the transmission done by someone else. The other thing is I basically know the square body chevy's inside and out and have a bunch of spare parts, but I don't know much about fixing any major problems with the tahoe with a 5.3 and a bunch of electronicly controlled crap. If I blow a motor in the 1988 suburban I can build a basic stock 350 for about $1000 and have it swapped in no time since I have done it a bunch of times already. If I blow a motor in the tahoe I have no idea how much it will be to rebuild it and how much of a pain in the azz it would be to swap it. It can't be too hard though probably just a lot more expensive. So do you think I would be better off keeping the newer 2001 tahoe or selling the tahoe and buying the 1988 suburban that I know more about and would probably appreciate more? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: What should I do?

Swapping a motor in that Tahoe might be easier than the Burb you are looking at, but which one you want more is the question.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Edahall

Why would you have to sell a vehicle?. Is the Tahoe a daily driver driven by a wife? If so, she is probably not going to be a happy camper having to drive an old Suburban with a manual and truck suspension if it's a 4x4. If that's not your case, then it makes more sense to get rid of the Tahoe for the Suburban. I agree with you that these old square bodied vehicles are a lot easier to work on and have less stuff to break on them. They just tend to use a lot of fuel if they are a daily driver and they don't drive like a modern vehicle especially at 80 mph.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
Why would you have to sell a vehicle?. Is the Tahoe a daily driver driven by a wife? If so, she is probably not going to be a happy camper having to drive an old Suburban with a manual and truck suspension if it's a 4x4. If that's not your case, then it makes more sense to get rid of the Tahoe for the Suburban. I agree with you that these old square bodied vehicles are a lot easier to work on and have less stuff to break on them. They just tend to use a lot of fuel if they are a daily driver and they don't drive like a modern vehicle especially at 80 mph.
I am single so that won't be a problem. I am just wondering if I am making a mistake getting rid of a newer vehicle for an older vehicle. The tahoe just hasn't been too reliable though and I am fine with giving up 2-3 mpg for reliability and would prefer a manual transmission. I have to sell one of the vehicles too get it and like I said I will not sell my k10. The k10 is getting torn down this winter for a full restoration so it will be out of service for a few years. If I have to take a long road trip on the highway I could always take one of our company vehicles which are a 05 2500hd sierra with a 6.0l or a 95 chevy 1500 with a 4.3l and 5 speed manual which gets around 20-25 mpg so highway trips aren't much of a problem. I am usually only on the highway's when I am driving a company vehicle for work or if I drive one of my own personal vehicles the company pays for the fuel. Here is the link tk the suburban if you wanted to check it out. I belive it is a 1/2 ton but it is hard to tell in the pictures. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4650160662.html
Old 10-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

No way I would give up AC in my primary vehicle, just me though.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
No way I would give up AC in my primary vehicle, just me though.
I can live without AC. I drove my k10 all summer without AC just vent windows.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
noco-k5

If I keep it and don't trade for a truck I will be using my 1990 Jimmy as my DD this winter. The thing has been very reliable since I've had it. My commute is short, but a friend drove it 300 miles from home without any problems. I think the simplicity of these things makes them a good choice for a DD if you can live with the rough ride and poor fuel economy.
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by noco-k5 View Post
If I keep it and don't trade for a truck I will be using my 1990 Jimmy as my DD this winter. The thing has been very reliable since I've had it. My commute is short, but a friend drove it 300 miles from home without any problems. I think the simplicity of these things makes them a good choice for a DD if you can live with the rough ride and poor fuel economy.
I can definitely put up with the rough ride and I am probably only going to lose 2-3 mpg with the burb. I think if when I go to look at it and it turns out to be a winner I will sell my tahoe and get the burb. I think I will appreciate it more than the tahoe anyway.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Edahall

Looks like the Suburban has been repainted and is probably the reason for the premium price for a 27 year old vehicle. Can't tell how good a paint job is on this vehicle from the photos but it can run anywhere from $600 to $8000 depending on quality.

They didn't come factory this way but a 5 speed NV4500 is much nicer. With the clutch pedals already there, you would be that much farther with that swap.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
krazy_texan

I would be selling the Tahoe for that burb just me. Only downside is its 2 wheel drive
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote