The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
thepunisher

Harbor Freight Haul (pic)

This is a little materialistic but what the heck. Harbor Freight is about an hour away from me and I've had a laundry list of stuff I needed from there for awhile. The stars aligned and I was in the area. There prices are so cheap I can usually buy three of an item for the cost of buying it elsewhere. I was most excited about the sander/polisher, I fired it up and made a pile of paint dust on the garage floor <insert Tim Allen grunt here>. It's going to be a huge time saver, and for $27 I can burn through it and buy another one if need be.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
SATownChevy

Re: Harbor Freight Haul (pic)

got one just 5 minutes from my work and i love their prices. if it breaks take it back and they give you a new one, only had to do it once myself.
my buddy has abused the foam cushion on the portable work stand. it has been cut by razors, cutting wheels and buzz saws, painted over, caught on fire from the welder and plasma cutter, sanded down by multiple sanders and sanding disk.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

I like this story, not materialistic at all we're all sick of having to pay through the nose for everything these days so went you get a lot for your $/£ it makes ya smile. The picture on the box of gloves made me think..."cavity search"....must be my mind.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 07-23-2010 at 04:29 PM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
cableguy0

i have had very good luck with there electric tools. I purposely tried to kill there 4 inch grinder and it didnt care. paid like 10 bucks for it. Its almost too cheap not to buy it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
BarryB

I've got one about 20 minutes from me. when it first opened i got accused of having stock in the place, because I was there every weekend.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
dalbers

I didn't know they had those stands, looks like a trip is in my near future!
dalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I killed one of their 4" grinders just yesterday! It had probably 4-6 hrs of run time.
Before I killed it I had already decided it was disposable. Add a little pressure while grinding and you can stop the disc from spinning...not good for a grinder. I went the next day and got one with twice the amps....it can't be stopped!

here it is when I made my Harbor Freight haul...I love buying tools! See it on my new stool?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken

Last edited by 68GMCCustom; 07-23-2010 at 08:59 PM.
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Has anyone used the polisher/sander for polishing/waxing? I've been considering getting one of these vs. the $180 PorterCable unit.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Some of the tools are junk but I got two grinders for $5 and $9 on sale and they've both worked for over a year with no issues. Work just as well as the $100 dewalt at the shop....

Also, their Chicago brand wet tile bridge saw is 100% identical other than paint to the QEP one at Lowes that is 2X as much....

I have heard of issues with air tools and with some of the electric tools but getting things like gloves, clamps, tape, grinding discs, etc for 1/2 to 1/4 of the normal price (especially when on sale) just makes sense...