The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
mpierce9

DIY Soft Top 1975 Blazer

I decided to make a bikini top for our 75 Blazer. Cost was very inexpensive. It took me about a week to learn how to really use the sewing machine which is a Singer 2277 model.

Parts and cost:
  • 2 Yards of tan canvas - $25.00 on ebay
  • 25 yards of 1/2" webbing - $7.99 on ebay
  • 15 each buckles and pull downs - $7.99 on ebay
  • 1 roll Nylon thread - $2.00 on Amazon
  • 20 Snap fastners - had some but their about $4.00 on ebay
  • 20 snap fastner screw in studs - $5.00 on ebay

I Googled "how to sew webbing" and found a great video from a company called Core77 on how to make things with webbing and how to approach sewing as well as what patterns to use. I used a "Box X" pattern which is used in military applications. It's a maximum strength sewing design. Core77 also has excellent sewing basics videos and information. My seamstress career will most likely never be realized but everything is holding together great.

I looked at a lot of jeeps online and how their tops fit. They are obviously factory made with a room full of engineers doing the leg work on design. There seem to be two approach to how to "tie down" a soft top. One approach is to put a hook on the floor and tie the top to the floor and pull it rigid. I didn't want to put holes in the floor so this one is designed to attach back to itself. It's a single self contained unit.

After cutting the webbing you will want to burn the ends so they don't fray.

I purchased 500 denier canvas with a waterproof coating. If water pools on it, it will leak after a few hours but is very resisting to leaks. (the pink thread was for testing my sewing)

The entire piece cut to size with front and back hemmed.

You really want to double up on the corners.

These are the snap fansters I used. They come with a tool to attach the "button" piece to the fabric. You hammer them together. i found hammering these on a metal surface worked best. You do not want to over do this. If you hammer them too much the top cap will just cut through your fabric.

I drilled a very small hole above the windshield and covered the screw base with silicon and screwed it in for a waterproofing (I'm sure there's a better way).

here is the webbing design. There a four different pieces here. 1. The canvas 2. a single piece of webbing across the top as reenforcement 3. a piece of webbing on the underside with a female buckle 4. a piece of webbing on the underside with a male buckle.

Here's the buckle in action with the female buckle wrapped around the top of the rollbar and the male buckle connecting underneath the roll bar. The buckles have tension locks so I just pulled the webbing tight.

At this point we're about 99% complete. I need to clean up my webbing ends and cut off the excesss. But here are some final views.

Front. As you can see here i'm a bit off center. I recommend having a helper when doing this and setting the first snap in the dead center. This was a mistake I wish I hadn't made.

Back from the top. I've added an additional strap to the center to resolve my "flapping" issue. I also have lights on the top which I'm considering adding a set of straps that hook around the lights. Positining the top around the lights isn't a problem, but it's not very clean looking either.

Back from the bottom.

Driver side

Laying on the floor almost complete.

Here's a few random wrap up thoughts.

The way my rollbar is positioned the top doesn't hang over the side windows enough to prevent rain from coming in. This just is what it is.

The nature of pulling everything tight doesn't allow for the top to "tent up" forcing water off. Instead it will pool up and over time drip through. I'd like to think about resolving this.

There was not enough canvas left over to make a second top from my original 2 yards once cut. Consider that when buying.

I have a ton of webbing, buckles and fasteners left over.

I'd like to put fasteners on the rollbar portion of the top and make a second to to button to that and cover the rear.

It took about 2 hours of sewing once I figured out how to sew. Most of that was fighting with the sewing machine because i'm not patient and my thread would get all bound up. I recommend slow sewing.
mpierce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
lowrodderchev

Re: DIY Soft Top 1975 Blazer

looks good I did a older jeep top on mine but yours looks better
Old 10-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Looks good! The bikini tops are such a simple piece I've wondered before if it could be done at home. Question about the lights, didn't you say you were going back to a correct tailgate so you could put the hard top on?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
mpierce9

Good question. I just flip them down to put the top on.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Are you still going with red/white two tone?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
eighteenninetytwo

This is great - I'm just about to make one but the way it am doing it is using the front 3 inches of an old hard top/ I'm going to fasten the canvas round and under that and then it will bolt onto the windshield top using the standard bolt arrangement for a hard top. I was wondering about fastening to the roll bar and you have solved the puzzle for me. Thank you.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
mpierce9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Are you still going with red/white two tone?
So, my list of to dos before painting. I'd like to Go with the 1975 OEM light blue. This truck was originally white. Now (obviously) it's rattle can black. Prior to painting I like to
  • Replace driver and passenger rocker panel (I have them from LMC but i'm not great at welding so I'm holding off)
  • Spray the entire inside with bedlinen
  • Paint the outside
Old 10-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
mpierce9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
This is great - I'm just about to make one but the way it am doing it is using the front 3 inches of an old hard top/ I'm going to fasten the canvas round and under that and then it will bolt onto the windshield top using the standard bolt arrangement for a hard top. I was wondering about fastening to the roll bar and you have solved the puzzle for me. Thank you.

Sounds like a great idea. There are some other posts about how to do this without holes. I don't have an issue with the holes. They are very small and the buttons looks well organized across the top.

I will point out that just last night I had the top on, and was able to remove it in about 15 seconds at a red light. 5 buckles on the roll bar and 6 button snaps that pull right off. That's a huge bonus for me. quick on and quick off.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

cool idea,this is how the later style(79) wraps a bar....an extra strip snaps on it,not sure if that idea would work for the rollbar.
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote