The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Low bar

Mechanic in Del Rio, TX

Hello all,
My name is Cary. I am new here and to classic trucks. I was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out. I am looking at buying a '51 Chevy 3600 in Del Rio but would like to have a pre-purchase inspection done prior, just to know what I'm getting into first. I don't live there and I'm new here (San Angelo, TX), so I don't really have any connections in either area yet.

Thanks
Low bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Clay54

Re: Mechanic in Del Rio, TX

Cary, don't know where you can find a truck in Del Rio or San Angelo for that matter. Just wanted to say good luck with your find and welcome. There is lots of good info on this site and everyone is eager to help just for the asking. Clay
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Low bar

Nice to meet you Clay and thanks for the reply. I've actually already found the truck I want to buy. It looks pretty good to me, but like I said, I'm new to this. Still needs a few "little" things like rear bumper and tailgate, at some point a/c, heat and radio. It's the guy's daily driver right now. He says it has a small oil leak, the clutch is picky, and the brakes take a little longer because of the weight of the 3/4 ton truck. I'm looking for a mechanic or someone to give me more of an expert's opinion on the matter.
Low bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
Clay54

OK. Now that you have found your truck you also need to find a camera. We like to see pictures. I use my cell phone and it does a pretty good job. Nice thing about it, it's with me all the time.

It's good you found one that runs. It may take a while to find a bumper and a tailgate unless you want new. As for the other items you list, I'm not a mechanic so I'm no help in that area. Keep us posted. Clay
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
skip99

Send a msg to EngineCo.1....
I worked at Del Rio fire dept years ago with his dad...he would help, im sure.
Mention Lt Price

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Hampshire

Something to investigate is the difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1/2 ton - especially the suspension, wheels, rear spring mounts, etc. Most builds here are based on either the 1/2 ton frame or an S-10 swap. However, there are some really nice 3/4 ton builds on the forum - just not as common. You may want to check out the work by crossfire84 and Coach529. Nice stuff.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote