The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Jmageee902004

Locking hubs won't disengage

On my 1964 chevy k10 stock Dana 44 axle the Hubs will not disengage. I took them apart to clean them and them and regressed them. Put them in and flipped them on and off a few times to make sure they would work. After I locked the Hubs put it in 4x4 and drove around the block I can't get them to disengage. I mean I can't even get the dial to spin far enough to the free position it goes about half way between lock and free then won't move any farther. When I put them back In it was always a little harder to get the last 1/4 travel of the way to free but with a pliers I could get them with little effort. But after locking them and then driving and even after putting it in reverse for 20 feet or so I can't get them to budge past half way. I don't think it's the hubs themselves but something else inside the spindle. Does anyone have an idea of what could be lose or something inside that's not allowing the hub to spin the rest of the way to unlock?
Posted via Mobile Device
Jmageee902004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Locking hubs won't disengage

Quote:
After I locked the Hubs put it in 4x4 and drove around the block I can't get them to disengage.
Never drive around on pavement in 4WD.... the driveline will bind up and parts can break. If you're lucky, nothing is broken but the hubs won't release b/c there's so much pressure on them. Put it in Park (low or reverse if a manual trans), set the parking brake, and jack up either front corner. Be careful, when the tire comes off the ground it might suddenly spin a bit as the pressure is relieved. Then you should be able to turn the hubs out.

Hope it works for you. And btw, never engage 4WD on a hard surface again. The tires need to be able to slip, and that means you need a loose enough surface to actually need 4WD.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Jmageee902004

Re: Locking hubs won't disengage

Ok so what your saying makes complete sense to me.
I should have been more clear,what i meant about around the block was around about a 1/4 mile circle that my driveway connects to which is all gravel.
The first time i put them in lock and drove around i parked it again and when i jacked the tires up like you said the tire did move back a little bit then i was able to pull the hubs out to look at what was going on. didnt occur to me to check to see if i could spin them to free once i got the tire in the air. then tried it again because i thought maybe i over greased them which i probably did so i took some out then tried it again and they wouldnt unlock again, which led me here to ask about what could be going wrong.
Could the gravel road just not be letting the tires slip enough? causing them to bind up?
This is the first truck ive owned with manual lockouts so they are a bit new to me other then what i have read on the internet.
Jmageee902004 is offline   Reply With Quote