The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #8626
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today!

I know this feeling ! . BT & DT many times over in the last decades .

Like you said , nothing beats the knowledge that a thing , any thing , is yours alone and made so by your own two hands .

Good on ya and never stop taking those baby steps .

Handing out a helping hand to others too , is a goodly manner of a Man .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSix View Post
I GOT MY TITLE TODAY!!!!!!! im so floppin excited. i was flippin excited, but i got tired so now im just floppin.... its been a long, strange trip, but shes finally mine, all mine, no if's, and's, or butt's, except mine and my ole lady's on that somewhat worn bench seat. the feeling is indescribable. comparable perhaps to ones " first time ". all the blood sweat and tears i put in to her over the years on pretty much just a "maybe"... now ive gotten the sorely needed validation, and best of all, a huge green light to seriously invest the time and dead presidents into her that she deserves. i dont own a lot of stuff, or even nice stuff at that. i have the clothes on my back and some in a closet... all pretty much from high school 15+ yrs ago. the computer i type this with, a bow and some arrows to feed myself with and now my truck... not to mention the job i use to fund it all. thats pretty much me in a nutshell. what ive got, ive had to work my ass off for and it has made me appreciate it all the more. still looking to make friends with someone with the metal fabbing skills needed to get some new rockers and cab supports welded in tho. have grill and beer brewing equipment / knowledge : will travel!

i installed an led dome light from autozone. only has 3 leds and it isnt much brighter than the regular festoon. meh, for 5 bucks its ok.

also pulled off a tire that has a slow leak and cleaned up the bead sealing surface on the rim a little bit then had the tire remounted and balanced. i noticed they added more weights than what was previously on the tire. makes me wonder how accurate some of these places really are. my next plans are to mount two LT's in the rear, maybe they are a little taller when installed than the bald passenger rated goodyear's that are on there.

its miller time! i raise mine to every single one of you, keeping these awesome machines around, and im so ecxited that i get to be a part of it all!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #8627
texjake

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashTheGas 72 View Post
What type paint did you use to paint your sun visors with? They look really good.
I used Dupli-Color vinyl & fabric coating (gloss black). And I used the Dupli-Color Prep Spray to clean the items well before spraying on the gloss black. I took the flat black can back & exchanged it for another gloss black. The gloss black just looks so much better. Only time will be the test of time for it's durability since I didn't prep the plastic pieces properly, I should have used the Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter on the plastic pieces. But that's what happens when you get in a hurry to paint things. But it does seriously change the whole outlook of the interior. I included some before & after pics of the door panels that I painted too.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #8628
Mike_The_Grad

Had to hit the brakes on my brake job I'm attempting. Front discs went smooth. Rear drums were another story. I remember doing them all the time in high school auto shop. But that was ten years ago. Thanx to the trusty hanes manual I got the job done in only four hours and two busted knuckles. Lol. After had all brakes remounted figured might check brake fluid. Bad idea, that stuff was black with residue in bottom of reservoir. Started looking at different forums on here for any tips.after an hour of research tried with gravity bleeding but I wasn't getting any fluid out.(I even took the entire bleeder out of pass. Rear wheel cylinder!) So on to pedal bleeding with my pops in the cab pumping away. Its hard to find someone who will listen to directions while still insisting that they are always right. That's my dad for ya.Lol. plus his leg got tired. So I'm having my buddy come over tommorow,figure I can pay him in beer. The pedal method seems to be working and the fluid coming out is black and thick.I don't think its ever been changed, so its gonna take a while til it comes out clear.and yes I am watching the reservoir level and holding in metering pin.first pic is new pads, second=before, third=after on rear
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #8629
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
I finished installing 4" CPP drop springs, shock relocator kit, adjustable track bar and 1.5" lowering blocks on the rear of my '71 GMC S./Stepside. It had 3" drop springs and some kinda old air shocks that with no air in 'em. I'd bought the CPP lowering stuff for my '72 Jimmy and never installed it. Truck has 255/60's on truck ralley's all the way around. I drove it a little after I finished and thought the ride was harsh. It started to rain & I put away. Hopefully after the new stuff works some it'll soften up some. It has 2.5" drop spindles and stock springs on the front. Next project is new front shocks and maybe 2" drop springs on the front.
Looks like it came out pretty good...nice stance. I have the same setup on the rear. Road harsh huh? When I installed mine, I couldn't feel much difference. Thought it road like a truck Once I get new tires I'll have to come over and see your Gimmy.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #8630
chopnchaneled

Had not driven my truck for about a week untill this morning, It was 18 degrees, Got reminded that i still need to put my brake rod rubber gromet on
Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #8631
dhaymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionwelder View Post
Ripped out the nasty floor padding and rubber mats out of the 72' found a few holes in the drivers side, but the passenger side is perfect. Much better than I expected. Only one side to replace, not too shabby.
This angle should work. Looks like the passenger side is in decent shape. Good luck with your project!
Attached Images

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #8632
RustyBucket

Bugz, I drove it around a little more yesterday after installing my vent shades and got rained on AGAIN... SUNNY FLORIDA. 40deg. this morning, I guess chopnchanneled WISHES it was 40deg. As far as the ride I still haven't decided about it. Maybe it's just the difference between bad old shocks and new ones. Guess it's supposta ride like an old truck anyway 'cause it IS. Going to drive it up to Daytona in the morning for the monthly auto swap meet/car show, they have a pretty good turnout when the weather's nice. There's also practice and testing for the Rolex 24 at Daytona Speedway today, tomorrow & Sunday.. $15 admission. SUNDAY/FUNDAY at Orlando SPEEDWORLD too. Lots of car stuff going on this time of year.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #8633
dads longhorn

I drove it! Woo hoo! The weather and my job have kept the truck under its cover for too long. Everything worked out today, sunny 45 degrees and plenty of time. I spent about an hour under the engine scraping off 42 years of hardened grease and oil with a dull knife and chopstick. Barely dented the hardened goop. But it was a start. The top of the engine gets cleaned when the truck gets detailed but the bottom of the engine hadn't been touched Maybe ever. Then cruise time. Lots of smiles and head nods be the public. I love my truck.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #8634
Molberg

After a ton of hours... I think I'm within sight of needing a tig welder. (no stomping by the purists please.. lol)
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #8635
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today!

That's actually rather clever I think .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #8636
Molberg

Thanks VWNate!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #8637
Boog
laying low

That resembles something I ran across today. Let me see if I can find it. This is a sketch and I have no idea if it was actually built or not. Looks pretty good too.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #8638
texjake

I finally got the new bumper on. And I can attest to the fact that if a vendor or mfg tells you "yea those bumper brackets will fit a 67-68 Chevy truck". Don't believe them! Yea, the brackets fit the bumper but did not fit the frame worth crap. Yea right & it says install them inside the frame this way, that was BS! I wasted so much time cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting, my brain is exhausted from all the non-sense with those brackets. And I could not use the old brackets, different bumpers & mounting holes. I modified the brackets so I could not return them and the I am tired of returning items & paying the shipping charges out of my pocket & not getting reimbursed for sending crap back. So I stuck it out and did it my way to make it fit. The ol' Marine way - improvise, adapt & overcome. Oorah!! Pics are below of the old bumper & the new bumper.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #8639
Molberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
That resembles something I ran across today. Let me see if I can find it. This is a sketch and I have no idea if it was actually built or not. Looks pretty good too.
Thanks..I've seen a few concept drawings similar.. but I've yet to seen it built.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #8640
Boog
laying low

Stay after it man.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #8641
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gor77 View Post

Are those powder coated?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #8642
In The Ten Ring

Last night, I agreed on a price to buy two rear stepside fenders from a member. I don't need the driver's side fender but I figure for the price it's worth the trouble of storing it and selling it later. I am very happy. :-) One more part down and down without shipping!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #8643
Gor77

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Are those powder coated?
frame handpaint

the rest -powder

1970 Chevrolet C10 stepside
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=569197
Old 01-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #8644
88fordf150

Customized my new Moon gauges to match my tachometer.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #8645
midniteblues

fri nite i installed my cab for the last time

on sat i figured i would take the weekend off from the truck.
but before i did i slapped most of the sheet metal on too get a good visual of what i'm working towards and too check a few things.
this is the first pic/time i've had a periord correct bed on this truck.
i have alot of sanding and body work coming this spring(ugh i cant wait)its too cold to do it now so i'll get everything prepped until then.

seeing the body slapped together gives me great incentive too get'er done.

i even had too pop on my e primed oe caps on just for the looky look(2nd pic)
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #8646
Amos007

Hi Guys,

This weekend I rebuilt my steering gear box 71 GMC 1500. Bit nervous taking it apart but all went well, no lost balls. Rebuilt due to seals leaking oil. Here are a couple great links from Youtube that made it much easier. There are five videos that go into great detail on the Saginaw gear box, with power steering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX119EtadWM

Happy Wrench'in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX119EtadWM
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #8647
74baggedbug

Yanked out the windshield to make sure no rust, doing some rust repair on the drop rail and gonna do something different on the roof
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #8648
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gor77 View Post
frame handpaint

the rest -powder
Finding good parts for American made vehicles in your neighborhood has to be difficult at best. You are doing a fine job with your truck. I applaud you Gor.
It looks like you also have several American cars in that shop too.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #8649
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
I finally got the new bumper on. And I can attest to the fact that if a vendor or mfg tells you "yea those bumper brackets will fit a 67-68 Chevy truck". Don't believe them! Yea, the brackets fit the bumper but did not fit the frame worth crap. Yea right & it says install them inside the frame this way, that was BS! I wasted so much time cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting, my brain is exhausted from all the non-sense with those brackets. And I could not use the old brackets, different bumpers & mounting holes. I modified the brackets so I could not return them and the I am tired of returning items & paying the shipping charges out of my pocket & not getting reimbursed for sending crap back. So I stuck it out and did it my way to make it fit. The ol' Marine way - improvise, adapt & overcome. Oorah!! Pics are below of the old bumper & the new bumper.
Where did you locate that new bumper?
I have been looking for one of those for a long time.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #8650
texjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
Where did you locate that new bumper?
I have been looking for one of those for a long time.
I got it from GotChrome.com for only $169 & free shipping. It's a Westin Fey Silver Diamond step Bumper (it looks more gray primer to me, I'm going to re-powder coat it black anyways) & I got the brackets from Summitt Racing (part# FEY-92500) for $50 & free shipping on those too. GotChrome.com also carries the chrome bumpers & they are $307 & free shipping. Do your research on the getting the right brackets, per Westin & Summitt said the brackets fit that bumper, they do but they did not fit the inside of the frame as per the bumper instructions said to install them that way. I should have just mounted the brackets on the outside of the frame first and do a test fit to see if the bumper mounting bracket holes would have lined up with the bracket. But I was he77 bent on going by the instructions. I guess you live & learn by trial & error on refurbishing old cars & trucks.
Closed Thread