The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #26
DesertCat

Re: engine clearance issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
yup i have the I6 stands in the back position, thanks tim for that thread tx firefighters post was exactly what i was trying to find out, now i need to buy some v8 stands and hopefully i wont have to drill holes for my auto crossmember and i guess i will have to buy a different driveshaft too
Okay, waaay too much supposition going on here. The FACT is that you can leave your engine right where it is with the 6 cyl mounts.

I intentionally did exactly that with my SBC, yes it is tight on mine but yours actually looks like either the trans is not sitting on it's mount (engine tilted back) or those are just ridiculously tall valve covers (stockers fit with an inch to spare).

And before someone starts off on distributors... had mine in and out just fine, thank you.

My 2 cents... like your dad says - clearance the firewall and move on or change your valve covers. You'll be just fine, trust me.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
1972BackInBlackC10

im not too sure if its originally an automatic, it doesnt seem to have markings on the tab located on the frame from where the clutch hooks up too, and i looked for where the crossmember would be for an manual trans with the I6 and theres no evidence of grinding the rivets so im assuming the truck was an automtic
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #28
1972BackInBlackC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCat View Post
Okay, waaay too much supposition going on here. The FACT is that you can leave your engine right where it is with the 6 cyl mounts.

I intentionally did exactly that with my SBC, yes it is tight on mine but yours actually looks like either the trans is not sitting on it's mount (engine tilted back) or those are just ridiculously tall valve covers (stockers fit with an inch to spare).

And before someone starts off on distributors... had mine in and out just fine, thank you.

My 2 cents... like your dad says - clearance the firewall and move on or change your valve covers. You'll be just fine, trust me.

my trans is sitting on the crossmember and its all bolted up with a new trans mount, i know stock valve covers will work as stated above by another member, but as you can tell this engine is far from stock and stock valve covers will not work on my heads due to the roller rockers thus i need the tall valve covers

i will just buy the v8 stands for 2 reasons, im going to need them when i put the motor in my short box since it had an I6 in it and two i may possibly still end up using this cab, they arent expensive and it wont be much to change them since mt front clip is off the truck
Old 09-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #29
DesertCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
my trans is sitting on the crossmember and its all bolted up with a new trans mount, i know stock valve covers will work as stated above by another member, but as you can tell this engine is far from stock and stock valve covers will not work on my heads due to the roller rockers thus i need the tall valve covers

i will just buy the v8 stands for 2 reasons, im going to need them when i put the motor in my short box since it had an I6 in it and two i may possibly still end up using this cab, they arent expensive and it wont be much to change them since mt front clip is off the truck
You are correct, it is an easy thing to move it forward with the V8 stands. Also your trans crossmember mounting holes might already be there in the frame rails.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #30
1972BackInBlackC10

thanks i hope the holes are already there, would have been even better if i didnt need another driveshaft but you cant win them all
Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #31
VA72C10
VA72C10

I agree with your dad...clearance the firewall....this truck is only for the winter till you blow it apart so don't spend any more time/money on it than you have to....just get it running and enjoy it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #32
1972BackInBlackC10

lol but but i just painted the firewall
Old 09-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #33
HotRod C/10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=18

-1976 SILVERADO
YUBA GOLD/NEUTRAL (2-TONE)