The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #76
dirtyjim
Punk in Drublic
 
dirtyjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: alvin, texas
Posts: 602
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

will the parts be available separately? I'm interested in the c-notch/panhard & upper coilover mounts. right now I'm running an old cpp coilover setup on the rear of my truck but the upper mounts are set up for a 4" stroke coil-over and I'd like to upgrade to at least 5" stoke for more suspension travel and it looks like your upper mounts would be just about perfect. right now I have to run a stiffer spring than I would like to keep it from bottoming
I was going to fab my own but if I can get the yours without having to buy the whole setup that's the way i'll go, and more than likely end up with your complete rear set up before its all over.

back 20 years ago when I was a teenager I installed and helped install a lot of tci suspension parts at a little street rod shop near spring texas. I worked for free in return for left over parts. when I tubbed my 72 the narrowed rear axle, wheel tubs, wheels and 14/32 pro-tracs cost me a whole whopping $200 installed. sometimes working for free is good
__________________
1967 C10 lwb two tone, 305 & rat fink style floor shifted 700r4, 20" steelies
2004 2500HD utility bed aka Brutus
dirtyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #77
GEARBOXGARAGE
Registered User
 
GEARBOXGARAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sturgis, Michigan
Posts: 507
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Mike I had to take a close look after you posted this and was wondering how that would work. Well it looks like it will work fine. the truck arms we are used to are not truck arms at all. There is a pivot in the back making this a true 3 link. Kinda slick the way it is done.
Jimmy
I see what you're saying now. I didn't notice those pivot points before in the pics, thanks for pointing that out!
__________________
-Mike

Check out the Gearbox Garage Shop Truck build here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607718

Be sure to also check out our website at www.thegearboxgarage.com.
GEARBOXGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #78
slow4dr
Registered User
 
slow4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
Any guess on retail pricing yet?
Not yet, but we are making fixtures now so labor time studies will be very soon. There are so many new parts in this kit that are bigger (more welding)and far more heavy duty than what we're used to I wouldn't even come close to venturing a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjim View Post
will the parts be available separately? I'm interested in the c-notch/panhard & upper coilover mounts. right now I'm running an old cpp coilover setup on the rear of my truck but the upper mounts are set up for a 4" stroke coil-over and I'd like to upgrade to at least 5" stoke for more suspension travel and it looks like your upper mounts would be just about perfect. right now I have to run a stiffer spring than I would like to keep it from bottoming
I was going to fab my own but if I can get the yours without having to buy the whole setup that's the way i'll go, and more than likely end up with your complete rear set up before its all over.

back 20 years ago when I was a teenager I installed and helped install a lot of tci suspension parts at a little street rod shop near spring texas. I worked for free in return for left over parts. when I tubbed my 72 the narrowed rear axle, wheel tubs, wheels and 14/32 pro-tracs cost me a whole whopping $200 installed. sometimes working for free is good
With any kit we sell there are multiple sub-kits within the BOM (Bill of Materials). For instance a complete rear suspension will typically have 10 to 15 sub part #'s. Ranging from Coil-overs, crossmembers, link bars, panhard bar, axle brackets etc. Any of these sub part #'s will be available separately.

-J
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #79
dirtyjim
Punk in Drublic
 
dirtyjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: alvin, texas
Posts: 602
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

thanks
__________________
1967 C10 lwb two tone, 305 & rat fink style floor shifted 700r4, 20" steelies
2004 2500HD utility bed aka Brutus
dirtyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #80
slow4dr
Registered User
 
slow4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

We just received our first article spindles yesterday. This was one of the most important pieces to the puzzle. We still have a lot of time studies to accomplish but we're moving very quickly, so quickly that many of the R&D projects are finished and have moved into the production department.














-J
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #81
GEARBOXGARAGE
Registered User
 
GEARBOXGARAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sturgis, Michigan
Posts: 507
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Awesome! Will these be machined specifically for your front suspension, or will they be compatible with stock ball joints?
__________________
-Mike

Check out the Gearbox Garage Shop Truck build here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607718

Be sure to also check out our website at www.thegearboxgarage.com.
GEARBOXGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #82
Nola67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Orleans la
Posts: 27
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Nice..
Did the blue.truck ever get wheals.and tires? Itching to see the stance on this set up
Nola67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #83
slow4dr
Registered User
 
slow4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARBOXGARAGE View Post
Awesome! Will these be machined specifically for your front suspension, or will they be compatible with stock ball joints?
We are going to use an OEM upper and a Moog K719 Lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola67 View Post
Nice..
Did the blue.truck ever get wheals.and tires? Itching to see the stance on this set up
Not yet, but we submitted all the specs to American Racing (18"x11") but we won't be ready for a few weeks. We've been working with American Racing and Falken with two other projects and they've been great to work with. Here's a teaser of a photo shoot American Racing coordinated that we did last week with one of the other projects. We pushed the limits on this car (265's on the front of an early Nova) and we plan to do the same on the C10.







-J
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #84
Nola67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Orleans la
Posts: 27
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Haha, thats not a truck... but I think it will hold me over on my pic craving.
Nola67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #85
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,223
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola67 View Post
Haha, thats not a truck... but I think it will hold me over on my pic craving.
Dueces are cool......
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
90SWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #86
Nola67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Orleans la
Posts: 27
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Dueces are cool......
No argument here.
Nola67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #87
68c10airstream
Senior Member
 
68c10airstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Marquette michigan
Posts: 720
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

A few geometry questions, how do you adjust caster and camber? Shims behind upper control arm cross shaft. If so doesn't this effect the center line that is supposed to run through the center of the cross shaft through the inner tie rod end and down through the lower cross shaft to eliminate bumpsteer? I have been curious about the factory bumpsteer values in comparison to this newer style front end. I noticed the bumpsteer gauge being used but no values. I believe the front ends on the market that have adjustable upper control arms that lengthen or shorten as needed for caster and camber would not alter the bumpsteer values. Anybody ever dig into scrub radius, what backspacing in conjunction with wheel diameter to yield a certain scrub radius value? In the early 80's as a subaru mechanic, the factory advertised zero scrub radius. This was the center of the footprint at the pavement was exactly where the SAI (steering axis inclination) imaginary centerline through the ball joints ran down to the pavement and contacted at exactly the same point as the center of the contact patch of the tire. Our dealership installed aftermarket wheel that were dished outward ( wider track width) and we battled with steering wheel shake, sensitive steering, etc. Reinstalled factory wheels and all problems gone. Obviously manual steering on this application.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #88
slow4dr
Registered User
 
slow4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
A few geometry questions, how do you adjust caster and camber? Shims behind upper control arm cross shaft. If so doesn't this effect the center line that is supposed to run through the center of the cross shaft through the inner tie rod end and down through the lower cross shaft to eliminate bumpsteer? I have been curious about the factory bumpsteer values in comparison to this newer style front end. I noticed the bumpsteer gauge being used but no values. I believe the front ends on the market that have adjustable upper control arms that lengthen or shorten as needed for caster and camber would not alter the bumpsteer values. Anybody ever dig into scrub radius, what backspacing in conjunction with wheel diameter to yield a certain scrub radius value? In the early 80's as a subaru mechanic, the factory advertised zero scrub radius. This was the center of the footprint at the pavement was exactly where the SAI (steering axis inclination) imaginary centerline through the ball joints ran down to the pavement and contacted at exactly the same point as the center of the contact patch of the tire. Our dealership installed aftermarket wheel that were dished outward ( wider track width) and we battled with steering wheel shake, sensitive steering, etc. Reinstalled factory wheels and all problems gone. Obviously manual steering on this application.
Sorry for the late reply, we just got back from the Street Rod Nationals today.

I forwarded your message over to Sal for a reply. Here is what he said.

"The front end was designed with the front wheel centered and 6 degrees of positive caster. This will equal .015 bump steer(Toe Out) at full compression. The upper control arm mount has 10 degrees of anti-dive. The spindle inclination is 8 degrees which I is the same as the factory spindle and the camber will be adjusted via the shims. There is .5 degree negative gain at 1 inch of bump. We purposely kept the stock track width so the scrub value would be as close to zero as possible. With a wider front wheel the value will change. With a 9.5" x 3.25" back spacing and a 27” diameter tire the scrub radius was 2.25". By eliminating the steering box we will be able to run at least an 11" wheel up front. We made the steering arms bolt on so we could test and make any changes necessary to improve the suspension even further if necessary and run a 15” wheel. -Sal"

-J
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #89
68c10airstream
Senior Member
 
68c10airstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Marquette michigan
Posts: 720
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Sal, thanks for taking the time and posting the results. I'm opting to go to about a 29" diameter tire, 20x8 rim with 4" backspace, which if my math is correct will yield just under 1" scrub radius. My next concern will be if the tire will fit inside the wheel well without rubbing. I'm currently running stock new ece coils with a ece 2 1/2" drop spindle, 72 and up thick stock rotors with 15x8 factory rallies with about 4" backspace and a 26 1/2" diameter tire. If you feel the hub face is in the same spot as what you are designing i will take my existing tire and add additional dimension to it and check for rubbing. Thanks again for your help, Brian Fuller
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #90
slow4dr
Registered User
 
slow4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

We're a couple days behind schedule but here are a couple updates.

The time studies for the crossmember and lower control arms are complete after 10 sets were finish welded.





A small but significant change to the Torque Arm.





-J
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #91
Nola67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Orleans la
Posts: 27
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Looking good. Cant wait to see it all together on a truck
__________________
67 small window swb
98 bagged s10 (orig owner)
99 z71
01 swb
Nola67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #92
PGSigns
Senior Member
 
PGSigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hayes Va
Posts: 3,324
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Good to see the progress. How is the truck coming?
Jimmy
__________________
60 to 66 Chevy and GMC window decals
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=661131
Good friends, good food and a hotrod what else do you need?
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #93
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,223
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4dr View Post
A small but significant change to the Torque Arm.


-J
I was curious how well the fixed/poly Torque arm bushing would work w/the articulating lower links. I guess this answers that question.....
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
90SWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #94
65Gregg
Registered User
 
65Gregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, Texas
Posts: 748
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Great looking product! I think y'all should send it to me and I'll do a time study on how long it takes a regular C10 owner to install
__________________
65Gregg

Blue long bed
White TBSS
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #95
slow4dr
Registered User
 
slow4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Good to see the progress. How is the truck coming?
Jimmy
The truck is at a stand still until we finalize the parts. We've been gathering parts for it though and expect it to be done this year.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Gregg View Post
Great looking product! I think y'all should send it to me and I'll do a time study on how long it takes a regular C10 owner to install
LOL


-J
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #96
dmooreco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 8
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Updates? Pricing?
dmooreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #97
slow4dr
Registered User
 
slow4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Pricing was just announced this week. Out of respect for this forum (we still haven't finalized our vendor status) I won't post it here. I will post it on the P/T.com website shortly.

-J

Last edited by slow4dr; 08-27-2014 at 06:58 PM.
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #98
s_nova69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: slc, ut
Posts: 312
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

I have to say my opinion is the price is 40% too high. I would be very interested at a better price point.
__________________
Phil
'70 Longhorn 421 700r4 tach 4 wheel disc hydroboost daily driver
'72 short super build
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 PM   #99
PowerdbyChevy79
Registered User
 
PowerdbyChevy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 533
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

so around 10k is what were looking at....hmm
__________________
1976 GMC 35 1-ton dually "Judy" - daily driver
1982 C10 Swb fleetside "Lucy" - ongoing project
C/10 Club Texas - HMIC
When the zombies come... I,ll be ready.
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #100
slow4dr
Registered User
 
slow4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

I've been working on the Install Manual. Here are a couple teaser shots.
































-J
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com