The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #1
vanislejimmy

Metal in transmission pan

Now that my 71 jimmy is off the road for winter I'm finally getting around to fixing the oil leaks and transmission fluid leaks. I pulled the trans pan off to put a new filter and gasket in and found an unpleasant surprise inside. The truck is parked for winter so I plan on taking the pan and filter by a local shop in the next couple days to get their opinion. Im thinking at the least I'll be taking it in to get the transmission checked out first thing when I start driving it again. Just thought I would see what the general consensus is on here. I have a feeling I'll be getting the transmission rebuilt. It's a th350. That was rebuilt with a shift kit in it before I bought the truck. No idea what kind of shift though. It has a higher stall torque converter. I pretty sure the PO said it was 3000rpm. The truck has 40" tires on it. Although I generally take it pretty when driving on pavement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

vanislejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Metal in transmission pan

With that powdered aluminum, I'd say the converter is toast.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
homemade87

Even if the converter is not the problem I would replace it . There is no way to clean and get the the metal out of there with out cutting it open . If you know the maker you could send it to them to cut it open and clean it out and also change the stall if needed . If you do not replace or open it up to clean you will trash the new trans .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
cableguy0

Looks like converter guts to me. Which dictates a new converter as well as a full transmission rebuild. As much of that trash you see in the pan is also embedded into the clutches in the unit. This is why you don't use cheap converters and you especially don't use cheap converters in high stress applications. 40 inch tires definitely qualify as a high stress situation.
Getting my own shop going in Essex Md. Just bought a pipe bender and can do custom exhaust on both classic and modern vehicles. Contact me if you want pricing. Header installs, dual exhaust, catalytic converters on newer cars as well as flex pipes etc etc.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
vanislejimmy

I've been wanting to put a 700r4 in this for a while to make it a little better for cruising on the streets. I know I'll have to swap out the t-case as well as get all the adpters etc. Can the 700r4 be built strong enough or am I better off to stick with what I have? I don't have a lot of experience with kind of thing so I'm just searching and learning as I go.
vanislejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
cableguy0

If you want overdrive your choices are 4l80e or no overdrive. What gears are you running? With 40 inch tires you shouldn't need overdrive.
Getting my own shop going in Essex Md. Just bought a pipe bender and can do custom exhaust on both classic and modern vehicles. Contact me if you want pricing. Header installs, dual exhaust, catalytic converters on newer cars as well as flex pipes etc etc.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
YoungPup1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislejimmy View Post
I've been wanting to put a 700r4 in this for a while to make it a little better for cruising on the streets. I know I'll have to swap out the t-case as well as get all the adpters etc. Can the 700r4 be built strong enough or am I better off to stick with what I have? I don't have a lot of experience with kind of thing so I'm just searching and learning as I go.
First of all, do you have the NP 205 transfer case ? If you do it will bolt up to the 700R4....
Also, you can save some bucks by leaving the NP 205 in its original location which allows you to use the driveshafts in their original locations...no cutting/shortening/re-tubing driveshafts....(350 to 700r4 conversion)
But you will have to move the engine forward to allow for the additional length of the 700r4 over the original TH350.
Advance adapter sells a shorter output shaft for the 700r4 to allow the above to work...cost around 150 to 170 bucks for the output shaft...much cheaper than the driveshaft rework....
This allows the stock location for your transfer case shifter so you do not have to chop up the floor....
The shifter linkage....the pivot point bracket on the frame will need to be moved forward...only the lower bolt location needs to be moved forward, only one hole needs to be drilled...
You can check on here for posts on doing this (350 to 700r4 conversion)....its been done hundreds of times...I have hundreds of pics on how this is done...

I like the 4l80e but it cost much more than the 700r4, if money is no issue go with the 4l80e....
Old 08-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
sicamous

I am on Vancouver island and in the process of restoring a 1972 jimmy and would really like to have a look at one that is complete. do you know of anyone near nanaimo that has one?
sicamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

sicamous... I'd start another thread on the subject and you'll get better answers. Also in a different part of the forum.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote