The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Removing Plasti-Dip?

My son has a Tacoma X-Runner. He bought a second set of wheels to get two good tires he needed, like now, then get a set of winter tires mounted on these to save his originals. He ran about 3 hrs for them and got back late. When I went out in the morning it was a "What the...?" moment, then I wondered, "I hope he doesn't like this" (he doesn't). The truck is red and the new wheels he mounted before running home make it look like a clown car...that bright greenish yellow pedestrian color! Made me puke a little in my mouth!

The good news is these wheels had been powder coated gloss black first with a tastefully done (in yellow) TRD Racing Development logo applied to one spoke. The guy had plasti-dipped over that for some strange reason. You can scratch through it and peel away, all except the edges nooks and crannies. With preserving the powder coat in mind, are there any suggestions on what to do about getting the harder areas stripped? I scrapped a little with a plastic pry tool and it didn't do so well. Is there anything that will eat up/melt/dissolve the plasti-dip or get between and lift it? I wondered about a 3M abrasive wheel, if it wouldn't hurt the PC. But, wouldn't help us with the nooks and crannies. Wuddaya think? Anyone ever remove this brilliant excuse for a paint job before?

Hot Wheels Circus Wagon Series:

Name:  IMG_1124.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  61.0 KB

Not a bad looking wheel underneath:
Name:  IMG_1125.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  73.6 KB

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote