The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Smokey burnouts

Blazer visor mounts

Same as others.... Bought some off LMC def not the ones for Blazers...😡

Anyone got any that are up for grabs?

Price w/ shipping to 23901
Thanks
Daniel
Old 06-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Smokey burnouts

Re: Blazer visor mounts

Also found out that one of the threaded inserts/bars that are in the hard top for the 5/16" bolt, well it is free spinning inside the top. Any ideas on how to fix this short of cutting hole from outside of the top?
Old 06-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Chulisohombre

I got a pair off of a pickup and they look like they will fit fine. I still Haven't put the bolts in but the holes line up and look to clear the top Just fine. Maybe you have a different year if they changed I don't know.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
Smokey burnouts

The blazer mounts should have only two 5/16" bolt holes in them. One that would bolt foward(into window frame) and 2nd would bolt vertically into the hard top.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
Chulisohombre

Never mind. Just looked up what a pickup truck Should have and mine are totally different and follow the contour of the Blazers hardtop. I take back
My last comment. Mine I'll have to look at again. But I'm pretty sure it has two bolts that go through the window frame and one that goes up through the top. Thanks for the bolt size of 5/16. I need to get some to mount mine. Aren't they cap screws though like the end cap seals have on the front door seal?
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:39 AM   #6
Smokey burnouts

Not sure what they are cause I don't have any but my guess would be some sort of 2-2.5" 5/16-18 shoulder bolt with a Allen head...
Old 06-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Chulisohombre

Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks. As far as you top situation I would try and drill a pilot hole inside next to it and maybe bolt a solid piece of metal in tapped to the right size for the screw. Previous owner did mine that way. I still need to bondo over the hole though to clean it up.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

here is what is in my 72' there are two of the 5/16" x 3/4" Phillips that go into the windshield frame and one 5/16"x 2.5" bolt that goes into the top itself.
they are all coarse thread.

The visors come up on the parts board every once in a while. I already sold my extras.

as Far as the one that is spinning, no real good/easy way. Like previous poster stated, I would drill it out ( be careful not to go thru top as well. you could always put a larger metal blind nut in the top with a tool similar to the picture I have attached. They are available at Mcmaster.com. The one like I show in the picture is for a 1/4x 20 bolt and uses a 25/64 bit to install the sleeved nut. That might be big enough to cover your drilled out hole if the plate in the top was just tapped for the 5/16" bolt. Just make sure if you go that route to be aware there are two different types of nuts. One is for punched holes and one is for drilled holes. make sure to get them for the drilled holes as they have grooved sides to bite into the metal once you use the tool to compress them. The ones for punched holes are smooth walled outside and will slip eventually.

Richard
Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
Smokey burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks. As far as you top situation I would try and drill a pilot hole inside next to it and maybe bolt a solid piece of metal in tapped to the right size for the screw. Previous owner did mine that way. I still need to bondo over the hole though to clean it up.
Anyway you could throw out a few pics of the repair job?

Richard2717:....are you talking bout using one of those "riv-nuts" type thing?
Old 06-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Blazerowner

You can use smc resin to fix the hole.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:42 PM   #11
Smokey burnouts

Do the pop riviots(think that's what they are) on either side of the bolt hole have anything to do with keeping the threaded bar/nut in place?
Guess what I'm thinking, is it possible they have broke and that's what is allowing the threaded part to spin inside the top?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #12
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

yes here is a picture of what I am talking about. and also a link to McMaster Carrs page. you can buy the items separately as well, I just threw the kit up.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=xmv5v3

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Chulisohombre

Yes that piece of metal is locked in place by it. Same with the ones on the top of the bedrail for double wall tops. It's a pain to try and fix. I still haven't tackled mine yet. Have 4 broken off. Previous owner just tried to fix the one in the window frame and top where the sun visor bolts in. Left the hole so you can put a wrench in there to tighten it down. I still need to do Something to clean it up. Still has the hole there yet.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
Smokey burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
Yes that piece of metal is locked in place by it. Same with the ones on the top of the bedrail for double wall tops. It's a pain to try and fix. I still haven't tackled mine yet. Have 4 broken off. Previous owner just tried to fix the one in the window frame and top where the sun visor bolts in. Left the hole so you can put a wrench in there to tighten it down. I still need to do Something to clean it up. Still has the hole there yet.
So can I drill out the riviots and find a small screw to stick in either one to hold the bar in place?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #15
Chulisohombre

That could possibly work. If you can figure out a way to keep it from spinning to tighten house in as well. Haha.