The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Wgesnerjr

Adapting Suburban panels to Truck

Hi all,
Power window switches
I'm sure I'm nor the first fellow to try this but wondered what others have done. I have a great set of Suburban door panels I want to use on my truck. I have them all color dyed and ready to go but, I need to fill the hole in the door panel left by the 4 gang switch. Obviously don't need the 4 gang switch and would like to insert a 2 gang power window switch on the drivers door?

My initial thought was to just pop the 2 gang switch in the panel and find a filler to make up the rest. But the switch only clips in on one side and flops out.

Then I thought to use the 4 gang bezel but insert the 2 gang switch. I have popped the switches out and see where the smaller one can clip in, but just on one side. Again, flops around.

Anyone have some thoughts or pics?

Thanks,
Jay
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Sabaka454

Re: Adapting Suburban panels to Truck

Why not use the Suburban switch? you can use the other switches for something stealth or just leave them dead
Sabaka454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Wgesnerjr

I had thought about that but did not want to cut my original harness. plus I don't think I would like the look of the bigger switch in a truck. but it may be my only option.

I have been thinking about some aluminum stock that could fill in on each side of the 2 gang switch but fear that might be outside my fabrication skills.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Old 09-05-2018, 03:31 AM   #4
Pontiac1976

You can try to cut a filler out of another panel leave a 2-3mm gap, melt on the back some same plastic in to the gap little till it set holds masking tape finish side to help hold in place. Cut some wet/dry 400 or higher grit as your job needs, pencil w/eraser on the end cover the eraser with sand paper lightly sand as needed. you can use a small blade to try to etch the patch line connect the texture line so it's blends in then re paint to match. take your time the better the repair easier the paint will hide it.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
Wgesnerjr

Not a bad idea. my friend is pretty good at "welding" plastic. I'll see what he thinks about it when he gets back in town.

In the meantime, I think I am going to try and fabricate an aluminum filler panel. Does anyone have a scrap 81 and up, driver side, power window, door panel to trash? I would like to get the electric button section to use as a template. Don't need the whole door panel, just the switch section. Please let me know with shipping to Atlanta 30044.

If it works out, I will take lots of pictures and post a thread.

Thanks,
Jay
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Old 09-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Wgesnerjr

I got a piece of 2 inch aluminum from Home Depot and proceeded to make a block off plate. Cutting the hole for the window switch was the hardest. I must have gone through 40 cutting wheels for my dremmel. I should have protected the metal more, but I was in kind of a hurry.

Then taped it to the door panel making sure it was in the proper place. Used small pieces of scrap aluminum as locators then slightly bigger pieces as ears to sandwich it all to the door panel. Used JB Weld to stick it all together and clamped until cured.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Old 09-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Wgesnerjr

It was off just a little when I went to insert the window switch but trimming of the plastic door panel with an x-actor knife solved that. It holds great looks pretty good. I did a light sand on the aluminum to give it that brushed look. Then started to assemble the door panel. Finally got everything mounted to the door and it looks great.

As a side note, I put some plastic over the door frame under the panel and then a large piece of 1/2 inch green foam from Joann fabrics. Now the door shuts with a decided THUNK! Sounds very nice and solid. Sorry, working fast to avoid rain and didn't take pics.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Old 09-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
TKCR

That turned out pretty darn good!!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
Wgesnerjr

Yeah, no one is more amazed than me when one of my ideas turn out good!
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project