The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hey Vic, Have you found a bed? I kinda remember Bob having some nice parts on hand.
Bob had four long beds last time I was there but I have no idea what he wants for them. A couple are fairly nice (not very rusty/dented) the other two would take a lot more work.

Quote:
Are you wanting to do the blasting pre or post new floor, or while it's open? Just wondering, I'm bored.
Probably while it's open. I hate trying to TIG metal that still has rust pits in the area. Spits back on the tungsten. I plan to remove most/all of the floor and weld in 1X1 tubing to brace it, blast away all visible rust and then see what kind of a mess I have fitting the new floor.

Quote:
Also, not to be a nosy prick or anything, since we're talkin' blasting, what are ya gonna do now? Epoxy primer sounds great in theory, but gets sketchy on a daily. What about that Hot Rod Flatz paint? It's UV stablilzed and comes in something other than black. Everyone does black. Hrrmmmmm. You'd think this was my damn truck! Tell me to go away if I'm a bother. I'm just stoked, I like slammed beat-around trucks.
Well, I'd been planning on using black epoxy as the base then covering it with clear flat urethane, but I'm open to suggestions. One of the things I'm picky about is door jambs. If I did a color, I know I'd end up taping and squirting the jambs. With black epoxy, the inner stuff that doesn't see much sunlight can live without the clear topcoat. Mostly an issue of laziness (plus a little bit $$$). Whatever I do, it will have a flat topcoat so I can do it here and not have to outsource. Plus, I'm waaaay over sanding and polishing paint.

Quote:
Oh, I found a guy in Columbia that will polish a full set of wheels for $100 if they're stripped to bare aluminum. Flyin' Ryan says he does good work, he has Ryan's blower and custom bike exhaust now. You don't even have to pull the tires. I'm gonna have him do some on LBT if you wanna chuck yours in as well.
Mine don't look like they've ever had a coating, just raw aluminum. They're dirty as all get out, but would probably clean up with a little effort. Or, we could have Mark hit them with the media, then take 'em for the shine. Three tires are shot and one is brand new, so I'll have to pony up for the ones I need to match the good one. I'd planned on dismounting all four, blasting and powdercoating the wheels then mount/balance the tires, but that's way cheap for polishing. I'm in if you plan to do LBT.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #27
Vic1947

Well, CRLS has a fleetside bed courtesy of Craigslist. Just got back from Olathe where I checked it out and tendered cash. It's a longbed, so I'll have to section it and convert it to a shorty, but the price was right. It has no rust and minimal dents/holes, plus it comes with a decent tailgate and lights. Probably be a couple of weeks before I can get it if the weatherman is correct. They're calling for another foot of snow Monday nite into Tuesday. Will have to wait for it to melt to gain access. Seller has a trailer and offered to deliver which is very helpful. Plenty to do in the meanwhile.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
Low Elco

WoooWoooo! Progress! Bed looks solid!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
67cheby
67cheby

looks like a fun project !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
Vic1947

After a few days of working on OPS (other people's stuff) I'm back on CRLS. I ordered some inner door bottoms recently and decided I'd fit them into place prior to hauling the sheetmetal to the metal blaster recommended by Chip. That way, they can media blast the inside of the door skin which will make it much easier to install the patch panels.

I'm still on the fence about whether to weld the panels in or use panel adhesive. Ordered a small MIG welder today from Eastwood which I plan to use when shortening the bed and if it works reasonably well, I may weld the door panels with it as well. Part of my dilemma is that Duramix was bought out by 3M and their adhesives are now as rare as a North Korean chicken. Naturally, the 3M cartridges won't fit the $60 Duramix applicator I have. At least my paint store guys said if I buy the 3M adhesive, they will loan/rent the applicator. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, below are some pics of a surgically removed lower door bottom and the panel in various stages of trial fit. With the weather improving daily, I need to finish up some of this prep work because it won't be long before the Craigslist longbed arrives.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #31
Low Elco

I was gonna say, I'd heard "rumors" of alleged "work" at your place! Fit up looks real good! Only trouble I've heard of with bonding is differing expansion rates of the 2 parts can give you a woogie in your paint later. I'd weld, but that's me. Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #32
Vic1947

Quote:
I was gonna say, I'd heard "rumors" of alleged "work" at your place! Fit up looks real good! Only trouble I've heard of with bonding is differing expansion rates of the 2 parts can give you a woogie in your paint later. I'd weld, but that's me. Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
I can certainly weld it, was just looking for a way to avoid the warpage that seems to always accompany it. I know adhesives have gained in popularity, both at the factory and in the aftermarket. However, most applications include folding over the door skin lip for added mechanical strength. I don't have that luxury as the existing crimped lip in that area wasn't in very good shape and couldn't be worked back to 90 deg. What does remain could be welded, possibly. I hadn't heard about any paint issues with adhesives. I know fiberglass is prone to showing repairs down the road. However, not sure if two layers of sheetmetal with a bonding adhesive sandwiched between would behave badly later on. No data in the personal experience bank.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #33
sduckworth13

Lol, Vic just noticed thats my old parts truck. I have the cab to that truck in my garage, I'm restoring it. Roy.. the guy you bought that bed from is my buddy, he is a good guy. I'm supposed to help him with the truck this weekend.

Last edited by sduckworth13; 03-08-2013 at 05:23 AM.
sduckworth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
Low Elco

Ha, small world!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #35
sduckworth13

Roy loves these trucks also, he has two short beds and one he needs to finish. Here is one them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #36
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Lol, Vic just noticed thats my old parts truck. I have the cab to that truck in my garage, I'm restoring it. Roy.. the guy you bought that bed from is my buddy, he is a good guy. I'm supposed to help him with the truck this weekend.
That's pretty cool, Scott! You're right ...Roy is a good guy. He gave us the nickel tour of the garage in the photo you posted. His cinnamon colored truck (not shown) was also very nice. I felt lucky to run across this bed. It's in much nicer shape than any I've seen up to this point. Should work great for my purposes. You'll get to see it again when I post progress pics. From what Roy told me, the cab was in mint condition. Wish mine were better, but with a bit of elbow grease, it should end up okay.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #37
Vic1947

Quote:
Ha, small world!
Ain't it though!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #38
sduckworth13

Glad to know it was you that picked the bed up Vic, I seen your silver truck build and you definitely do amazing work. I thought that cab I have was in good shape till I started looking at it and removed the rockers, it got ugly after that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
Low Elco

Likey the black one!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #40
71restomod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Picked up this short stepside on January 13th in 20 degree weather. Drove it about 15 white knuckle miles to get it to the house where it now sits awaiting some sort of rebuild. I'm determined to use it as a daily driver and not over restore it like my other truck. Like many 40+ year old trucks, it has lots of problems. My goal is to address the safety and reliability issues as well as the sheetmetal shortcomings. I doubt it will get anything other than a good coat of epoxy primer and I currently have no plans to convert it to discs or 5 lugs. I will post progress reports as they occur, so follow along if you like.
personally I don't like stepsides but I think this truck could be really cool! cant wait to see whats next! maybe a small tuneup and some adjustments here and there
71restomod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #41
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71restomod View Post
personally I don't like stepsides but I think this truck could be really cool! cant wait to see whats next! maybe a small tuneup and some adjustments here and there
My other truck is a stepside, so this one will be converted to a short fleet, but other than that and a few tweaks to the interior, it will remain essentially as you see it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #42
Vic1947

While yanking the (Ford) bucket seats out of CRLS today, I got a good look at the floor patch panel craftsmanship of a PO. I was particularly taken with the inner rocker panel sandwich and how it flaps in the wind. Any questions why I'm replacing the entire floor? Yeah, yeah, I know ...some would say it looks solid, but I really don't want anyone thinking I had a hand in this mess.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #43
Low Elco

HooooWeeeeee, that's niiiice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #44
Xeen

Good grief now I see why you didn't even think twice about replacing the whole floor.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #45
RatRod68

Since you are replacing that whole floor, you can simply send me those patch pieces lol
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #46
Low Elco

Nice supports! BTW, LBT and the trailer are finally out of the snow and ready when you are. Sounds like you're gonna need the bed dolly soon!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
Since you are replacing that whole floor, you can simply send me those patch pieces lol
I'll be performing surgery to remove the floor panels and outer rockers in the very near future. You're welcome to the floor patches and the driver rocker panel if you really want them, but I gotta say, they've been hacked / beat pretty seriously.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #48
Vic1947

Quote:
Nice supports! BTW, LBT and the trailer are finally out of the snow and ready when you are. Sounds like you're gonna need the bed dolly soon!
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm ready to haul a load to Mark, although I haven't actually talked to him yet. I probably need to call him today and see what his schedule looks like. I have quite a bit to do on the cab before I can take it to him, but the removable parts like the hood, doors, fender stuff and etc. are all ready to go. I'll need the bed dolly for sure if Roy gets the bed to me sometime this week. Let me talk to Mark and I'll PM you with details. Thanks again!!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #49
Vic1947

I just got back from picking up the first load of parts from the media blaster. The turnaround time was very good ...maybe a little too good, in fact. There's a lot of ugly that still needs to be removed but mainly in areas that are accessible, so I can do that. However, there are some spots that really needed to be cleaned out better to facilitate welding in patches. The explanation was that staying on an area long enough to remove all the bondo builds up heat that could warp the panel. True enough, and I'd rather deal with the bondo than whoop-de-doo's everywhere, I reckon.

Most of the media used for removing paint doesn't do a very good job on rust, especially the heavy stuff, so they need to use glass, sand or something more abrasive on those spots. If you use a light touch, those small areas won't warp and the rust will be pretty well gone.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #50
Xeen

That hood looks like it's going to be lots of fun lots and lots of hours to fix that mess.
The guy who did the hood had a good idea but it was poor execution.
What panel is that close up of the rust on?
How nice is the Grill after it was sand blasted, is it going to need much work?
The passenger side door skin looks pretty decent except that one corner.
Hey there is something I can do! I can come over and pull all the dents and dings out of everything.
<Twists Vics Arm>