The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Hawkins

88 k5 power window problem

I purchased an 88 k5 jimmy about a week ago and the passenger side pwr window would roll down but not up, so i figured id go ahead and replace the window motor and switch.
So, with a new motor installed on the regulator( not installed in the door yet)
and a new switch i decided to make sure it worked before I completed installation, and I'm glad that I did. I tried to roll the mechanism up... nothing,
tried to roll it down , down it goes.... checked all connections , all seemed fine.
checked power supply to switch, 12.3 v, checked each position on switch while pushing switch up and down , 12 v.. checked the terminal that plugs into window motor while working switch.. 12v on each depending on direction of switch... I'm at a loss.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Hawkins
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: 88 k5 power window problem

I saw this and wondered if it might help. Different window, but same problem: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5578623

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Hawkins

Thanks John,
I got home from work today and went straight back to work on my window issue (my wife says that I'm obsessed with my k5 ,and I agree lol), it turns out that it was a bad ground on the "up" side of the switch.Installed a jumper wire from the "down" ground to the "up",
tried the switch and up it went! Tomorrow ,... the driver side lol.
I appreciate your help John
Thank you
Hawkins
Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

It makes sense that it has to be corrosion if you've ever fought corroded battery cables, and I have once or twice. When that happens and it won't let your starter spin, you can beat on the cable connections at the battery until the interior lights come back on, but when you turn the key, you get a hesitant click and then the interior lights go out again. Like it can flow juice in the easy path, letting windows down or running interior lights. But when you need "juice" or amps, it breaks connection - the interior lights go out or the window won't go up. Clean the corrosion or bypass it. Glad you found the solution. Holler at me when you come to Montgomery, I'd love to see your truck.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Hawkins

Update:
While working on the drivers side window , installed new motor, and a new double switch I noticed a wire broken on the switch terminal, fixed the broken wire but the passenger side of the double switch wouldn't work. Then it hit me " I'll bet that's why I had what i thought was a bad ground on the passenger side?" so I go to the passenger side pop out he switch remove the jumper I had installed, checked th pass side ... Works perfectly.. Back around to the drivers side.. Both windows up and down !! Done!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device