The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
jhiggy94

Feeling depressed...

Almost done wiring my 72 K20. I put all the fuses in the fuse box and some things werent working. Such as the whole instrument cluster and the brakelights. But i did have turn signals. All of the interior cab lights did not work either. I was really hoping to have this done but this kinda put me in a foul mood and i called it quits for the day. Does anyone have any helpful hints/tips/tricks for diagnosing and fixing electrical problems? I am really starting to lose steam on this project. I just want it to be ready to drive already... Thoughts of selling and just buying a older decent running truck have even crossed my mind.
Thanks for reading;
Jake
jhiggy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Feeling depressed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggy94 View Post
Almost done wiring my 72 K20. I put all the fuses in the fuse box and some things werent working. Such as the whole instrument cluster and the brakelights. But i did have turn signals. All of the interior cab lights did not work either. I was really hoping to have this done but this kinda put me in a foul mood and i called it quits for the day. Does anyone have any helpful hints/tips/tricks for diagnosing and fixing electrical problems? I am really starting to lose steam on this project. I just want it to be ready to drive already... Thoughts of selling and just buying a older decent running truck have even crossed my mind.
Thanks for reading;
Jake
What you're feeling is normal. I think the way you address this, is like any other problem. Go one step at a time. Check, recheck, and be thorough. As you work your way through, you'll probably find something that isn't quite right. Make sure everything is seated properly. Check your grounds. Check for rust or corrosion around your grounds. Others with more electrical experience hopefully will chime in, but this should give you at least something
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Lee H

Just walk away for a few days.

Good advise Mr. B.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
cdowns

the most common reason that electric things dont work is an incomplete circuit// people really dont grasp the concept of the grounds completeing the circuits
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Yes it is best to walk away for a while. Go do something else you like to do or work on something other than wiring. I checked out your build thread and the truck is coming along very nicely.

Is that a painless (painintheass) wiring kit you have? That stuff would frustrate Tesla and Edison if they were working on it together. Don't let it beat you, it does take time to sort it all out. Probably have some ground issues also. Make sure you clean the paint off were grounds connect.

Be patient and most important, make it fun. You are doing a fantastic job.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Yes it is best to walk away for a while. Go do something else you like to do or work on something other than wiring. I checked out your build thread and the truck is coming along very nicely.

Is that a painless (painintheass) wiring kit you have? That stuff would frustrate Tesla and Edison if they were working on it together. Don't let it beat you, it does take time to sort it all out. Probably have some ground issues also. Make sure you clean the paint off were grounds connect.

Be patient and most important, make it fun. You are doing a fantastic job.
Lol at the Tesla and Edison comment. You crack me up. So true
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
jhiggy94

Thanks guys, Im going to try and get it to my buddys shop so he can align all the different panels for me so that will give me a little time to get away from it. Hopefully i can get it over there in the next few days. All the support is making me feel better!
jhiggy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
slikside

Just imagine how much sweeter the victory will be when you are driving it at night, all those lights shining, and you remember how you beat this issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Low Elco

If you have repro taillight buckets, sometimes the spacing ain't quite right internally and the bulbs don't make contact. That'll drive you nuts. Wait'll your stereo (that you spent a pile on) has a throb in it that renders it unusable, you're dripping in grounds, and everyone says, "did you check the grounds?" Just a couple from my experience.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Lattimer

Best thing in this situation is to walk away and do something else. In a few days you will feel like tackling it again.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote