The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
454_72_4X4

Purchasing a new laptop. What to look for?

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a new laptop.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=328904

Just lookin for opinions on a few things to look for.

First my current HP DV1000 has served me pretty good and I really like the 14.1 screen size, so I'm thinkin I'd like to stay with the small size if possible.
(I use it for GPS navigation quite alot and it fit's on my vehicle stand I built)

Budget is kinda undetermined I guess since I'm broke right now anyway. I may get desperate and talk to my banker though....Hahaha

Questions;

Good brands?
Can XP still be had on new computers, or is Vista better/worse? (I heard alot of bad stories on Vista when it first came out)

I see most of the specs today make mine look small everywhere. (originally 60gb hd, 4200 rpm, 2gb max memory...) Now it has a 7200 rpm 60gb hd, since the original died last year.

What specs should I look for for a "faster" computer? Mine was pretty satisfactory before it began to die... But it never hurts to upgrade!

Things I'd like to have;
14.1 screen (or similar)
XP (familiar with it...LOL)
Ability to burn CD and DVD's.
A few USB ports.

About all I can think of right off hand. Those are probably all pretty standard things nowdays anyway.

Any opinions, ideas, suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Re: Purchasing a new laptop. What to look for?

First, look at the laptop descriptions. Most new laptops come with Vista and a 14" or larger LCD. If it is labeled as a netbook, it may have XP or linux, but also a 9" LCD... also be careful not to confuse "notebook" with "netbook". Laptop is a general term, Notebook or Tablet is the normal laptops, netbook is the small low power/low speed laptops.

Second, Vista is still a pain but for the preconfigured laptops, it should work fine, just make sure you get at least 2GB of memory. Windows 7 is on the horizon and I have been suggesting people keep an eye out for the release date as Windows 7 is so much better and faster than Vista.

Third, even a $500 laptop will be better than your dv1000.

For cheaper models, take a look at this:

Newegg laptops

The cheapest is $450 and has these specs:
  • Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
  • CPU Type: Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz)
  • Screen: 15.4" WXGA
  • Memory Size: 2GB DDR2
  • Hard Disk: 160GB
  • Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi

This is compared to the Netbooks at newegg

The cheapest is $299 but also with lower specs:
  • OS Provided Windows XP Home
  • CPU Type Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) singe core
  • Screen Size 8.9"
  • Memory 1GB
  • Hard Drive 160GB
  • no disc drive
-------------------

Last edited by screwballl; 02-27-2009 at 12:59 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Aarons72s

I just bought a new laptop from newegg. It is a lenovo 3000 n 500. It comes with vista buisness but also comes with xp pro disc and a drivers disc if you want to downgrade it. I have had it for about two weeks now and still have the vista buisness on it. I found it will run most of my old programs. Which is my word processor which is microsoft works 4, a windows 95 program. I have only found one program that didnt run and that was a game, doom for windows 95 because it is a dos program. So if you get one like mine you can play with vista and if you dont like it you can wipe it and install the xp pro provided. The only thing that I would do differently on mine is buy one with more memmory or buy a 2gb dimm for it to upgrade if you keep vista. Other than that I am very pleased with it. Now this is just a basic laptop and not for recent high end games or graphics intensive applications.

This is the one I got and that is my review.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146527

There are other lenovos but this one was the cheapest. I also got the 2 year accident protection for another $125. So my total for it was $630 shipped. Just an idea and suggestion.

I also wrote this with that laptop.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I highly recommend Dell and bought a laptop from them 2 years ago. Being military, I went through the AAFES website and got a military discount.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
454_72_4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
First, look at the laptop descriptions. Most new laptops come with Vista and a 14" or larger LCD. If it is labeled as a netbook, it may have XP or linux, but also a 9" LCD... also be careful not to confuse "notebook" with "netbook". Laptop is a general term, Notebook or Tablet is the normal laptops, netbook is the small low power/low speed laptops.

Second, Vista is still a pain but for the preconfigured laptops, it should work fine, just make sure you get at least 2GB of memory. Windows 7 is on the horizon and I have been suggesting people keep an eye out for the release date as Windows 7 is so much better and faster than Vista.

Third, even a $500 laptop will be better than your dv1000.
Wellscrewball, That helped a bunch and answered one of my questions before I even asked! LOL

I just seen one of the Netbooks at Wally world tonight. I didn't even notice there was no disc drive. Guess that puts those out of the running.
Just curious though, with no disc drive how do you get more software on them? Do ya have to buy an external disc drive?

Couple other items to ad to my want list;
Media card reader (needs to support XD and SD cards at least. My camera uses XD, everything else uses SD or micro SD)

Built in bluetooth capability would be nice. I have a USB Bluetooth gizmo though, so it wouldn't be absolutely necessary.

I looked at a 15.4 screen size at radio shack while I was there gettin thermal paste. That's not a bad size. I can live with that. LOL

DVD Super Multi or DVD±R/RW Is there a difference in these?

Processor GHz (Bigger number is better?)

Bloatware removal (Seein this alot on Vista systems. Is this somethin I can do or do I have to have it done?)

2Gb minimum for Vista (is this gonna have to be upgraded as time goes on? I know it helped my DV when I installed an additional 1Gb after the first year or more)

Expansion port (My DV has one of these but I've never used it. Good to have or just excess for most of us? What's it actually used for anyway? LOL)

Serial bus card slot (Again my DV has one. It usually has the remote stored in there, but I bought a 2 port USB card for it awhile back since one of my USB ports got destroyed.
Wouldn't mind havin the slot on the next computer since I already have the 2 USB card.)

Power cord (Off the wall question here. Are most of 'em interchangable as long as the connector is the same? My main concern here is that I have a power cord for my DV that plugs directly into a cigarette lighter so I don't have to use an inverter. makes it alot more handy for GPS navigation.
Is there a name for the different plug in styles so I could compare without seein them in person? [Online])
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
Old 02-28-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
454_72_4X4

Found these in the cheap catagory... LOL

Differences I've noted.

AMD CPU vs Intel Pentium dual core

3gb on the HP, 2Gb Toshiba (Both max at 4Gb)

HP has bluetooth and lists XD card capable. Toshiba doesnt.

HP 101 key keyboard compatiable Toshiba 86 key (important?)

I'm really leanin toward the HP...
Still lookin though! Hahaha

HPdv6810
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834147935

Brand HP
Series Pavilion
Model dv6810us
Part# KN828UA#ABA
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.0G
Screen 15.4" WXGA
Memory Size 3GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi

Communication Modem, LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 14.05" x 10.12" x 1.00-1.56"
Weight 6.06 lbs.

CPU
CPU Type AMD Turion 64 X2
CPU Speed TL-60(2.00GHz)
CPU L2 Cache 2 x 512KB

Display
Screen Size 15.4"

Hard Drive
HDD 160GB
HD RPM 5400rpm

Memory
Memory Slots 2 x DIMM
Memory 3GB
Max Memory Supported 4GB

Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Optical Drive Spec LightScribe Super Multi DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

Communications
Modem 56K
LAN 10/100Mbps
WLAN 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
Bluetooth Yes

Ports
Card Slot 1 x ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
USB 3
IEEE 1394 1
Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x S-Video TV-out
Other port 1 x Consumer IR
Port Replicator 1 x notebook expansion port 3
Audio Ports 2 headphone-out
1 microphone-in

Audio
Audio Integrated Sound card
Speaker Internal Altec Lansing Speaker

Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard 101-key compatible

Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

Power
AC Adapter 65-watt AC adapter
Battery 6-cell lithium ion
Physical spec
Dimensions 14.05" x 10.12" x 1.00-1.56"
Weight 6.06 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 90 days limited
Labor 90 days limited

TOSHIBA Satellite L305-S5921
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114611

Brand TOSHIBA
Series Satellite
Model L305-S5921
Part# PSLB8U-079025
General
CPU Type Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz)
Screen 15.4" WXGA
Memory Size 2GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB

Communication Modem, LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card

CPU
CPU Type Intel Pentium dual-core
CPU Speed T3400(2.16GHz)
CPU FSB 667MHz
CPU L2 Cache 1MB

Chipset
Chipset Intel GL40

Display
Screen Size 15.4"
Wide Screen Support Yes
LCD Features TruBrite technology
Display Type Wide XGA
Resolution 1280 x 800

Operating Systems

Graphics
GPU/VPU Intel GMA 4500M
Video Memory 128MB-830MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
Graphic Type Integrated Card

Hard Drive
HDD 160GB
HD RPM 5400rpm
HD Interface SATA

Memory
Memory Slots 2 x SO-DIMM
Memory Speed DDR2 800
Memory 2GB
Max Memory Supported 4GB

Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Optical Drive Spec DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (24x), DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD-R (Double Layer, (6x)), DVD-RW (6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD+R (Double Layer, (6x)), DVD+RW (8x), DVDRAM (5x)

Communications
Modem 56K
LAN 10/100Mbps
WLAN Atheros 802.11 b/g wireless-LAN

Ports
Card Slot 1 x ExpressCard slot (ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54)
USB 3
Video Port 1 x VGA
Audio Ports 1 x Microphone jack; 1 x Headphone jack
Audio
Audio Sound volume control dial
Speaker Built-in stereo speakers

Input Device
Touchpad Toshiba TouchPad
Keyboard 86 key US keyboard

Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 4-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter
Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMedia Card [shared slots]

Power
AC Adapter 75W (19V x 3.95A) 100-240V AC Adapter
Battery 4000mAh (6 cell) Lithium Ion battery pack

Physical spec
Dimensions 14.3" x 10.6" x 1.33-1.51"
Weight Starting at 5.49 lbs.
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
Old 02-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454_72_4X4 View Post
Wellscrewball, That helped a bunch and answered one of my questions before I even asked! LOL

I just seen one of the Netbooks at Wally world tonight. I didn't even notice there was no disc drive. Guess that puts those out of the running.
Just curious though, with no disc drive how do you get more software on them? Do ya have to buy an external disc drive?
The netbooks are typically so low power that you would not really want to install anything from disc anyways (except maybe some old programs from 5+ years ago). They call them "netbook" because they are pretty much only good for connecting to the "net" and doing basic stuff. For Office/Word related stuff, there is the free OpenOffice which will run decent on the netbooks but that is about as far as you may want to go.
Yes they require an external disc drive of some sort.

Quote:
Couple other items to ad to my want list;
Media card reader (needs to support XD and SD cards at least. My camera uses XD, everything else uses SD or micro SD)
I myself just use a USB adapter piece I picked up for $10 that handles xD and SD cards so I can plug it into whichever computer I want. Since there are so many different flash card types nowadays, it is usually easier to find the USB piece than to find it built into a computer.

Quote:
Built in bluetooth capability would be nice. I have a USB Bluetooth gizmo though, so it wouldn't be absolutely necessary.

I looked at a 15.4 screen size at radio shack while I was there gettin thermal paste. That's not a bad size. I can live with that. LOL

DVD Super Multi or DVD±R/RW Is there a difference in these?
Bluetooth is still more or less in the "testing the water" stage.
My preference is around 15" or larger LCD for laptops.
DVD super multi and DVD +/- R/RW are pretty much the same. this is standard on most laptops nowadays and only differs by name, not by functionality.

Quote:
Processor GHz (Bigger number is better?)
In some cases... typically you will see better performance overall with a 2.0GHz dual core than you will a 2.5GHz single core. The main reason is that the dual cores also have faster bus speeds so everything just runs faster overall.

Quote:
Bloatware removal (Seein this alot on Vista systems. Is this somethin I can do or do I have to have it done?)
Nope it comes with all OEM computer of any type shape and size. I always go through and remove it all the first time I boot it up.

Quote:
2Gb minimum for Vista (is this gonna have to be upgraded as time goes on? I know it helped my DV when I installed an additional 1Gb after the first year or more)
Windows 7 seems to run very nicely on as little as 1GB, yet Vista runs like crap on anything 2GB or less. Based on the typical lifespan of laptops, I usually do not worry about this. By the time Windows8 or whatever comes out, you will need a laptop with 4GB of memory... yet even if the laptop you buy now still runs well, it will still have Vista (or XP) and should still run fine with what it has. Of course if you choose, you could upgrade it to 4GB of memory... then you would run into the memory limitations of 32bit Windows which is where XP and Vista comes in, and they would only see around 3.2-3.7GB of that 4GB of memory.

Quote:
Expansion port (My DV has one of these but I've never used it. Good to have or just excess for most of us? What's it actually used for anyway? LOL)

Serial bus card slot (Again my DV has one. It usually has the remote stored in there, but I bought a 2 port USB card for it awhile back since one of my USB ports got destroyed.
Wouldn't mind havin the slot on the next computer since I already have the 2 USB card.)

Power cord (Off the wall question here. Are most of 'em interchangable as long as the connector is the same? My main concern here is that I have a power cord for my DV that plugs directly into a cigarette lighter so I don't have to use an inverter. makes it alot more handy for GPS navigation.
Is there a name for the different plug in styles so I could compare without seein them in person? [Online])
For the power cords, each and every laptop is different... even if you buy a new HP dv4000, it will most likely have a different connector than your HP dv1000. Even if it is the same or fits, the polarity may be different and may end up frying something in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454_72_4X4 View Post
Found these in the cheap catagory... LOL

Differences I've noted.

AMD CPU vs Intel Pentium dual core
Intel still tends to be faster but the AMd tends to be a bit cheaper and uses less power (electricity).

Quote:
3gb on the HP, 2Gb Toshiba (Both max at 4Gb)

HP has bluetooth and lists XD card capable. Toshiba doesnt.

HP 101 key keyboard compatible Toshiba 86 key (important?)
look a bit deeper, some "have" a 101 key keyboard which means it is a wider laptop and has a layout similar to a desktop keyboard with the number pad to the right... versus the 86 key is the standard laptop setup. some says "101 key compatible" meaning it is compatible with a plug in standard keyboard like what a desktop uses, but all computers including laptops since the 486's pretty much have this compatibility.

Quote:
I'm really leanin toward the HP...
Still lookin though! Hahaha

HPdv6810
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834147935

Brand HP
Series Pavilion
Model dv6810us
Part# KN828UA#ABA
General
CPU Type AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.0G
Screen 15.4" WXGA
Memory Size 3GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB

TOSHIBA Satellite L305-S5921
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114611

Brand TOSHIBA
Series Satellite
Model L305-S5921
Part# PSLB8U-079025
General
CPU Type Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz)
Screen 15.4" WXGA
Memory Size 2GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB
of those 2 I would say go with the HP... BUT, the HP is out of stock and especially on recertified like that, usually once they are out, it may be a while before they get them back in, IF they ever get anymore.
-------------------

Last edited by screwballl; 02-28-2009 at 10:55 AM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
truckdude239

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218040476937
this is the one i jus tbought and i am very happy with it as to the vista i come to like vista 64 bit

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology
Model: A305-S6916

#
Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year limited
#
Warranty Terms - Labor
1 year limited
#
Product Height
1.5"
#
Product Width
14.3"
#
Product Weight
6 lbs.
#
Product Depth
10.5"
#
Processor Brand
Intel®
#
Processor Platform
Intel® Centrino®
#
Processor
Intel® Core™2 Duo Mobile
#
Processor Speed
2.0GHz
#
Display Type
WXGA TFT-LCD widescreen with TruBrite technology (1280 x 800)
#
Screen Size
15.4"
#
System Bus
800MHz
#
Cache Memory
2MB on die Level 2
#
System Memory (RAM)
4GB
#
Type of Memory (RAM)
PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM
#
Hard Drive Type
Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
#
Hard Drive Size
320GB
#
Optical Drive
Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
#
Optical Drive Speeds
6x DVD+R DL; 6x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 24x16x24 CD-RW
#
Direct-Disc Labeling
Yes
#
Digital Media Reader or Slots
Yes, digital media card reader
#
Graphics
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650
#
Video Memory
512MB (dedicated); up to 2302MB total available graphics memory
#
Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
No
#
TV Tuner
No
#
MPEG
Yes
#
Built-in Webcam
Yes
#
Modem
56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
#
Networking
Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
#
Wireless Networking
Wireless-A+B+G+N
#
Bluetooth-Enabled
No
#
S-Video Outputs
#
Additional Audio/Video Connectors
HDMI
#
Audio
Harman/Kardon
#
Speakers
Built-in
#
PCMCIA Slots
1 ExpressCard/34/54
#
USB 2.0 Ports
#
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports
#
Parallel Ports
None
#
Serial Ports
None
#
Game Ports
None
#
Laptop Weight
Standard (more than 5.5 lbs.)
#
Battery Type
Lithium-ion
#
Pointing Device
Touchpad
#
Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1
#
Included Software
Toshiba DVD Player, Disc Creator, PowerCinema; Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5; Adobe Acrobat Reader and more
#
ENERGY STAR Qualified
Yes

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 03-01-2009 at 09:26 AM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Of the 2 that you listed I would go with the JP, and like it was said ealier if you use Vista you have to have atleast 2GB and that's only if you do basic stuff on it. I wouldn't get any less the a 3GB, but 4GB is way better as it allows you to more things at once. I wouldn't get no less then a 2.0gb processer. I have a solider that has that same toshiba. He's had it for about 8 months now and it's freezing up on him all the time when doing basic programs. He doesn't have a lot of stuff on it, but the memory is only 2GB. I built my Dell and it has a 2.0 GB dual core. 4GB ram 160 GB HDD. Mine is a $1600 laptop that I paid $1100 for, and it's set up for gaming which I dont play. More for muiltitasking. and it's HI Def. Dell use's a lot of their parts from many companys, I've used dell for the last 5 years. Most all military desktop and laptops are Dell. Look into building one for what you want. I'm sure you can get a really good one for about $500.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote