The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Serp Pulley from 97 K1500

Hey all, I have a serp pulley setup from a 97 k1500 5.7 that I'm putting on my Vortec Crate motor in my 53 panel truck. I personally took the entire setup off the donor truck so I know I have all the right parts but I've run into a problem. My crank pulley is out of alignment with the rest of the system by about 3/4 of an inch. That 3/4" is sticking further out that the rest of the system. My question is, do I just not have my dampener installed far enough onto the crank or is my dampener to tall and do I need to replace it with a stock 97 unit? I don't have any pics but I think the description of the problem is clear but let me know if more info is needed.

PLEASE HELP!!
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'

Last edited by panelrodder81; 06-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Serp Pulley from 97 K1500

Sounds like your damper is out. How close is it to the timing cover? if you still have access to the donor go measure the damper thickness and distance from the cover.

Last edited by dwcsr; 06-29-2010 at 01:37 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Sounds like your damper is out. How close is it to the timing cover? if you still have access to the donor go measure the damper thickness and distance from the cover.
I will check its proximity to the timing cover tonight and will also measure its thickness. Since I don't have access to the donor I will stop at the parts house and see if they have a stock unit to compare to.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
floridasteve

I used a cheap tool to install my harmonic balancer and it made me crazy. It turned out I just did not tighten it enough to bottom it out. I actually broke the hollow bolt when I tightened it. It was finger tight inside the center and I backed it out. The tool was rented from the auto parts store and the guy told me they bust them all the time.

I will say that most times it is not bottomed out as apposed to different thickness unless you are using brackets and pulleys from different systems. Good luck I know it gets frustrating. Also, was one a short and other long water pump?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

[QUOTE=floridasteve;4065706]I used a cheap tool to install my harmonic balancer and it made me crazy. It turned out I just did not tighten it enough to bottom it out. I actually broke the hollow bolt when I tightened it. It was finger tight inside the center and I backed it out. The tool was rented from the auto parts store and the guy told me they bust them all the time.

I will say that most times it is not bottomed out as apposed to different thickness unless you are using brackets and pulleys from different systems. Good luck I know it gets frustrating. Also, was one a short and other long water pump?[/QUOTE

OK so it looks like the dampener is just not on all the way. Guess that is a project for tomorrow.

I got my brackets all in place thought and a couple other things so it wasn't a total waste of an evening!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

My question is now, and this might be just over thinking it since my last post, but will the dampener actually bottom out? Is there a stop for it or do I just crank it on till it is lined up where I need it?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Yes it should bottom out against the timing chain sprocket which bottoms out to the crank. I would try to get a damper installer and tighten the nut on till it stops. MAke sure your key way is lined up and in the damper journal slot. Sometimes they will lift out and cause the problem you have.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote