The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
kolle_hond

My 1970 C10 build in South Africa

Hi All,
A quick history of the truck:
It belonged to a man who used it as his work truck. He and his wife are supposed to be retired, but sadly they lost most of their pension money through a series of events and he kept on doing steelwork/construction. I first had a good look at it when we got him to build a roof over our parking in the yard. The couple was then in a car accident (luckily they both recovered), but I decided to make an offer on the truck, as the owner would probably not be lifting heavy objects again in his lifetime. So then I got the truck.

I did not have much time to spend on it due to work, so when I finally got round to taking it to the roadworthy test, we accidentally poured some water in the fuel tank Luckily, we noticed it before attempting to start the truck again, so I got someone who knows a bit more about these things than I do, to help me clean out the tank.

So, finally getting it to the roadworthy centre, I only had to do a few minor adjustments, biggest of which was getting the exhaust replaced (the only thing keeping the rusted thing in place was a piece of steel wire!).
Then, with my new stainless steel exhaust, neatly covered electrical wires, straightened steering wheel etc. I went back, and I finally passed the roadworthy assessment, meaning the truck was now officially mine

Fast forward a bit, then in January 2014, I took it to a guy to get resprayed. The person I took it to, was recommended by our neighbor, who is manager of the used car sales in probably the biggest Ford dealership in the country. The original estimate of six weeks was waaaaay off. I checked in every now and then, but I think I got it back somewhere around August/September.
I know I have some earlier pics somewhere, but this is all I can find for now:

Now, you have to note, there was a long time period in which Chevrolet withdrew from South Africa, due to sanctions as a result of apartheid, which ended in 1994, but Chevrolet only returned somewhere in the 2000's. I found a guy who imports parts from the states, for all sorts of restoration/hot rod builds. So I ordered a few things, (chrome front bumper, mirrors, etc.) and when they arrived, the truck was re-assembled and it could be taken to have the bin rubberized.

Then I finally got it home, and put other wheels(from a Chevrolet Trailblazer, as that is the only new Chevrolet that uses 6 lug wheels currently being sold here) on.

Since, I have re-connected the tail lights (they cut all the wires) and had the brakes adjusted a bit (I think the rear brakes are still not working properly). I have placed an order for more parts from the local guy, which should be here next week. I will update as things progress.
kolle_hond is offline   Reply With Quote