The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 01:20 AM   #1
jathur02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 20
22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

I want to swap out the 20" Vision wheels I have on my Suburban now with 22" GM Transport wheels or have Detroit Steel make a set of 20" wheels with more rubber. I tried asking the original owner, but I haven't had much luck yet on what offset they are. Do you guys know what the pattern/offset usually is on a 1989 GMC Suburban? It's dropped 5" in the front and 6" in the back (air shocks in the rear), so I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to rub if I upgrade to a 22" wheel. I would also have to get adapters to make them work I believe, so I didn't want the 22's to stick out too much if I did have to use adapters. I searched everywhere and couldn't find an older square body Suburban with this type of wheel, I'd really like to see what my truck could look like with them on there. Any photoshoppers out there? ha..I included a couple of pictures.
Attached Images
  
jathur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
Crank
A&P Mechanic
 
Crank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Crittenden, KY
Posts: 1,960
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

I believe these are both Detroit steel wheels, one is the artillary pattern tho. The problem with transport wheels is they are 6 lug, how are you going to get around that?
Attached Images
  
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 AM   #3
jathur02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 20
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I believe these are both Detroit steel wheels, one is the artillary pattern tho. The problem with transport wheels is they are 6 lug, how are you going to get around that?
Appreciate the reply. I know a guy that can convert them into 5 lug. I'm trying to decide between Detroit Steel, Coy, or the 5 lug converted GM Transports. I'm just trying to make sure they are road legal/safe to use them like this.
jathur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
sweetk30
selective wrench turner guy
 
sweetk30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: horseheads,ny rust belt
Posts: 1,914
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

5x5 bolt pattern = 1/2 ton 2wd
6x5.5 bolt pattern = newer stuff and 4wd in the square body stuff .

there is NOT the correct room to do this unless you change the whole center out basically .

and to know ANY rims offset / backspace its simple and easy .

rim laying flat on its face ( put towel / cardboard down to protect the face first tho ) and then straight edge on the rim its self were the wheel weights clip . then measure up from the lug nut seat face were the rim touches the rotor or drum to the straight edge . and there you go you now know backspace / offset .

crazy i dea i have always had is maybe use 6 lug 2wd rotors ment for older 67-72 type stuff on the front and a set of 6 lug axles and drums on the rear to make a 2wd a 6 lug combo .
__________________
77-k30lb BIG truck build .
87-k30lb budget beater build .
85-k30lb the plow machine build .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Crank
A&P Mechanic
 
Crank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Crittenden, KY
Posts: 1,960
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

I feel like the 22” transport wheels are a good cheap option if you already have the right bolt pattern, but the work involved to make them all work seriously outweighs the cost benefit. If you want the look, just order the Detroit steels or Coys if they have the size and backspacing you need in the correct bolt pattern. There are pics all over Instagram with squares wearing steelies
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 AM   #6
jathur02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 20
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
5x5 bolt pattern = 1/2 ton 2wd
6x5.5 bolt pattern = newer stuff and 4wd in the square body stuff .

there is NOT the correct room to do this unless you change the whole center out basically .

and to know ANY rims offset / backspace its simple and easy .

rim laying flat on its face ( put towel / cardboard down to protect the face first tho ) and then straight edge on the rim its self were the wheel weights clip . then measure up from the lug nut seat face were the rim touches the rotor or drum to the straight edge . and there you go you now know backspace / offset .

crazy i dea i have always had is maybe use 6 lug 2wd rotors ment for older 67-72 type stuff on the front and a set of 6 lug axles and drums on the rear to make a 2wd a 6 lug combo .
I'm with you, but I just got the truck and it's currently getting the brake lines fixed in a buddy's shop, so I don't have it right now. I'm looking at all the different options as far as wheels go and what to use. I know converting the 22" GM Transports cost around 1200 for the set to make them 5 lug, which is about the same price as the other wheels mentioned. Appreciate ya
jathur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:47 AM   #7
jathur02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 20
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I feel like the 22 transport wheels are a good cheap option if you already have the right bolt pattern, but the work involved to make them all work seriously outweighs the cost benefit. If you want the look, just order the Detroit steels or Coys if they have the size and backspacing you need in the correct bolt pattern. There are pics all over Instagram with squares wearing steelies
Yes, I need to research it some more once I got the truck back from the shop. I'm trying to even out the stance some with either 20's up front and 22's in the rear, or just keep it simple with 22's all the way around (possible a taller tire in the rear), but then I can't rotate them as you normally would.

Yes, you're right, it's about 1250 to convert them to 5 lug, so I'm not sure if it's worth the same price as the other rims mentioned.
jathur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
Crank
A&P Mechanic
 
Crank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Crittenden, KY
Posts: 1,960
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

I mean, I’d take a stamped brand new wheel with customer service rather than a chopped/hacked set of wheels that look nearly identical... are you going to drive the truck enough to REALLY worry about tire rotation?
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:08 AM   #9
jathur02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 20
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I mean, Id take a stamped brand new wheel with customer service rather than a chopped/hacked set of wheels that look nearly identical... are you going to drive the truck enough to REALLY worry about tire rotation?
True. Yes, I'll be driving it pretty often actually. Might make it into a daily, so the safer, the better. I just have to decide between 20's up front and 22's in the rear, or 22's all the way around. Wish I could find a Suburban that had the 20's up front and 22's in the rear, so I could see what it looks like.
jathur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 AM   #10
Crank
A&P Mechanic
 
Crank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Crittenden, KY
Posts: 1,960
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

Look on Instagram! Surely there is something on there, your suburban looks pretty level, maybe 4 22’s with matching size tires wouldn’t be terrible
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
sweetk30
selective wrench turner guy
 
sweetk30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: horseheads,ny rust belt
Posts: 1,914
Re: 22" GM transport or 20" Detroit Steel for 89' Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathur02 View Post
I'm with you, but I just got the truck and it's currently getting the brake lines fixed in a buddy's shop, so I don't have it right now. I'm looking at all the different options as far as wheels go and what to use. I know converting the 22" GM Transports cost around 1200 for the set to make them 5 lug, which is about the same price as the other wheels mentioned. Appreciate ya
if its at a shop getting brake work then chances are atleast 1 wheel is off . go measure the backspace .

and stock rims like those transporters and 1200.00 bucks to convert = 1 crazy idea . in that price range i would be just doing aftermarket . i know you said it was a options for you tho .
__________________
77-k30lb BIG truck build .
87-k30lb budget beater build .
85-k30lb the plow machine build .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com