The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #51
tlorber

Re: S10 Frame Swap w/ AD and LS motor

Well, I didn't get a whole lot done on the truck last week because of this...
Name:  Sunset3.jpg
Views: 4272
Size:  23.5 KB
We then got back to Los Angeles to rain. However, over the weekend I was able to weld the baseplate onto my steering column, thanks once again to Old Sarge's thread.

Name:  steering column with plate2.jpg
Views: 4417
Size:  53.2 KB

I am also working on how to pickup around 4" on each side of the inner fenders. I have cut the inner fender here, and I hope that with some hammer and dolly work, and then subsequent filler pieces I can preserve as much of the inner fender as possible.

Name:  inner fender cut.jpg
Views: 4894
Size:  47.0 KB
tlorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #52
tlorber

I got some work done on one of the inner fenders over the weekend-you can see the weld scar on the left side. It still has more to be done on it, but the contour came out exactly as I wanted (so far). This should give me adequate room on the passenger's side. Before I started, the inner fender was touching the header. I plan on doing the same on the driver's side.
Name:  Inner Fender Welded1.jpg
Views: 4472
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  Inner Fender Welded3.jpg
Views: 4269
Size:  56.5 KB
I probably have 8 hours into just the one side at this point. I am going to wait on the remaining hole up front until I know how the AC compressor will fit in. That is way down the road.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #53
99 to Life

nice job. crazy how much time gets eaten up but little things that most people don't notice.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #54
tlorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
nice job. crazy how much time gets eaten up but little things that most people don't notice.
No kidding.
But we are all doing this for the love of the journey, no?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #55
waid302

Looks very nice!
waid302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #56
tlorber

Ok so, I've gotten a few things done in the past month. I smoothed out my inner fenders after recontouring , though I still need some filler pieces once I figure out where the AC compressor will sit.

Name:  Inner Fender Smoothed1.jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  Inner Fender Smoothed2.jpg
Views: 3981
Size:  52.5 KB

I also got my cab dolly finished. I was shocked that the holes actually lined right up with the cab's. I still want to weld on some outriggers so that I can tip it either forward or sideways to work on the different sides.

Name:  Cab on Dolly1.jpg
Views: 4055
Size:  54.1 KB

Then I started working on the bed floor. The fender tubs will be cut off and I will need to find some material to fill the resulting spaces.

Name:  Bed Mockup1.jpg
Views: 4085
Size:  48.7 KB

The bed will be shortened by about 5-6" in order to fit.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #57
99 to Life

yah know, its funny how people get so pumped on other peoples cab dollies. I must say yours is beast mode. Keep it going.

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
Old 02-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #58
tlorber

Yeah, the only reason it is that beefy is that I got a cart from a client who sold his business (wood shutter manufacturer) and he gave me the cart. I had to do some cutting and welding, but it works. Definitely overkill for this application.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #59
Green Valley Lawn

I will be watching your progress Im still debating on the LS1 swap.
Green Valley Lawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #60
tlorber

I got a couple things done on the bed this weekend. I cut and sectioned the bed bottom (using the original S10 metal), and I welded the new front bed supports to the frame by using 2"x2" metal tubing. I still need to do some grinding and smoothing to the bed bottom, and then cut the width down to around 49" wide.

Name:  Bed Bottom welded2.jpg
Views: 4170
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  Bed Support Front1.jpg
Views: 4026
Size:  39.4 KB

Finished length on the bed will be 82 1/2" long. This will require me taking about 7 1/2" out of my bedsides and running boards (originally a 3/4 ton longbed).
Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #61
05snopro440

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlorber View Post
I got a couple things done on the bed this weekend. I cut and sectioned the bed bottom (using the original S10 metal), and I welded the new front bed supports to the frame by using 2"x2" metal tubing. I still need to do some grinding and smoothing to the bed bottom, and then cut the width down to around 49" wide.

Attachment 1365367

Attachment 1365368

Finished length on the bed will be 82 1/2" long. This will require me taking about 7 1/2" out of my bedsides and running boards (originally a 3/4 ton longbed).
That's interesting. I took 9-1/2" out of my longbed on my '46 to make it into a shortbed. I guess they're just lining up different.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
05snopro440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #62
tlorber

Mine will not really be a shortbed when it is finished since the S10 started out as a standard cab long bed. You may have started with a standard bed. What was your finished bed length?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #63
05snopro440

Quote:
Mine will not really be a shortbed when it is finished since the S10 started out as a standard cab long bed. You may have started with a standard bed. What was your finished bed length?
The regular cab longbox S-10 is almost the same wheelbase as the regular cab shortbox early truck. That's what I used, and it's the 4th swap we've done that way. The first of which was a regular cab shortbox AD. My finished bed length was the same as a shortbox (within a half inch or so, I believe). I'm assuming you're just placing your wheels differently in the wheel wells.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #64
tlorber

I haven't yet determined whether I need to reposition the fenders relative the the wheels. The measurements I've taken from the centerline of the wheels to the rear of the bed are within 1/2" of eachother for the S10 and the '54 bedsides. I will be sectioning the bedsides in front of the wheels, and I'm hoping I don't need to lengthen or shorten the bedsides behind the fenders in order for them to be centered.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #65
05snopro440

Quote:
I haven't yet determined whether I need to reposition the fenders relative the the wheels. The measurements I've taken from the centerline of the wheels to the rear of the bed are within 1/2" of eachother for the S10 and the '54 bedsides. I will be sectioning the bedsides in front of the wheels, and I'm hoping I don't need to lengthen or shorten the bedsides behind the fenders in order for them to be centered.
On what are you basing your measurements then? Sorry, I'm just curious, and trying to understand what you're basing your shortening measurements and box placement on. My shortening was based on where I wanted the wheels to end up within the fenders. Very easy.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #66
tlorber

I put the '54 cab onto the S10 frame. I left about 5/8" behind the cab for the gap, which is where my S10 bed bottom now ends (i.e. where the new bed front will be located). This determined how much of the S10 bed would be sectioned out (roughly 5 1/2") leaving me 82 1/2" total bed length". Now I just have to section my bed sides to match what I have sitting on the truck, assuming the fenders line up as I stated above.

So in other words, the S10 bed bottom essentially stays where it originally was (i.e. cross members bolt to the chassis as they used to, except for the front one which is now relocated). With the rear of my bedsides aligned with the S10 rear cross sill, the fenders APPEAR to be properly centered, but I will need to bolt them back onto the bedside and mock them up to verify. I hope that all makes sense.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #67
05snopro440

Quote:
I put the '54 cab onto the S10 frame. I left about 5/8" behind the cab for the gap, which is where my S10 bed bottom now ends (i.e. where the new bed front will be located). This determined how much of the S10 bed would be sectioned out (roughly 5 1/2") leaving me 82 1/2" total bed length". Now I just have to section my bed sides to match what I have sitting on the truck, assuming the fenders line up as I stated above.

So in other words, the S10 bed bottom essentially stays where it originally was (i.e. cross members bolt to the chassis as they used to, except for the front one which is now relocated). With the rear of my bedsides aligned with the S10 rear cross sill, the fenders APPEAR to be properly centered, but I will need to bolt them back onto the bedside and mock them up to verify. I hope that all makes sense.
I think I understand now, and I hope I'm wrong but I think you're in for some heartache doing it that way. If my comments are off base you can ignore I'm just trying to help.

You might want to check out the following two documents.

Page 4 of this one: S-10 Vehicle Information Pack
Page 60 of this one: 1954 Restoration Pack

I hope the measurements of both bed length and the distance from the center of the wheels to the back of the bed help make this more clear. You're trying to match the floor of a bed that's 80" long with 45.6" behind the wheel centers with the sides of a bed that need to end up somewhere near 78" long with 42" behind the wheel centers.

All of these swaps that I've seen need to have the rear of the framerails bobbed, and it seems like you haven't done that. As a result I think things aren't going to line up correctly for you. What we did was figure out where we wanted the wheel center in the fender, then find the measurement from there to where the front of the bed needs to be. Once you know that, the difference between that and your original bed measurement is how much you need to shorten it, then you'll also be able to figure out how much you need to bob the framerails and in your case the rear of the bed floor.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #68
tlorber

Snopro,
The pic below shows how the bedside aligns with the wheel when the rear is aligned with the rear cross sill. The middle stake pocket is just off of the centerline of the wheel. The S10 bed has 43.5" between the wheel centerline and the rear cross sill, while the '54 bedside has 43".

Name:  Bedside alignment1.jpg
Views: 3965
Size:  43.6 KB

Hopefully this does not put the wheel too far in the front of the fender. If so, my worst case would be to cut and lengthen the bedsides behind the rear fender, and shift everything from that point toward the front. Not a huge deal since I'll have the material from when I shorten the front of the bedsides, but still something I'd rather not have to do-there are plenty of other projects that are consuming my time.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #69
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

I really like the idea of using the S10 floor. I plan to haul whatever I want in mine (i.e. greasy truck parts) so I want to steer clear of the beautiful wood furniture boards in my AD.
Im looking forward to how your's pans out. Thanks for posting the pics and info.
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #70
tlorber

I got one bedside on just to mockup its location-I still need to cut about 8" off the front of it and then splice, but the rear wheel looks to be in a pretty good location. Once I get the bed into final position and get some weight back on the truck, I'm figuring the suspension will drop another 1.5"-2".

Name:  Rear Wheel Location2.jpg
Views: 3846
Size:  36.3 KB

Chuck, I wanted the metal bed for the same reasons as you. I actually got the Idea from BlueJeep, who has a more detailed writeup on the process. He has a couple postings on this thread, so you can find his build thread if you want. Mine won't be exactly the way he did it, but I think all of these are different and require some adaptation.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #71
05snopro440

Quote:
I got one bedside on just to mockup its location-I still need to cut about 8" off the front of it and then splice, but the rear wheel looks to be in a pretty good location. Once I get the bed into final position and get some weight back on the truck, I'm figuring the suspension will drop another 1.5"-2".

Attachment 1368144

Chuck, I wanted the metal bed for the same reasons as you. I actually got the Idea from BlueJeep, who has a more detailed writeup on the process. He has a couple postings on this thread, so you can find his build thread if you want. Mine won't be exactly the way he did it, but I think all of these are different and require some adaptation.

Looks good!

Old 02-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #72
tlorber

I got some time to work on the truck last night. I filled about 60% of the firewall holes (what a PITA, and still plenty more to do), got the fuel pipe filler panel in, and I was able to cut a section of my bedside out. The cut came out real clean-I just have to weld it together and get then get the other side done.

Name:  Firewall holes filled.jpg
Views: 3748
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  gas door cover2.jpg
Views: 3681
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  Bed Panel cut.jpg
Views: 3690
Size:  38.5 KB
Old 03-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #73
tlorber

Not directly truck related, but I got a little practice on the English wheel this weekend. My son has a school project to make some medieval artifacts, so one of the things we are making is a shield out of some aluminum I had in the shop.

Name:  Shield Cutout.jpg
Views: 3625
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  Sheild Being Bent.jpg
Views: 3653
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  Matthew on Engish Wheel.jpg
Views: 3642
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  Shield with tape1.jpg
Views: 3623
Size:  47.6 KB

It still has a ways to go, but it was fun using the wheel to smooth out the metal.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:35 PM   #74
99 to Life

thats cool man, always nice having some family projects like this. I am dying to get a wheel amongst other tools and find the time to get working on some random fun stuff like this.

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #75
tlorber

I got the wheel on Craigslist. Finding the wheel was easy-finding the time...not so much.

I did get one of my bedsides grafted back together after sectioning it. I still have some grinding, holes to fill and some dinging to do-then on to the other side.
Name:  Bedside grafted1.jpg
Views: 3577
Size:  52.5 KB