The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
1968aj

ls motor question

I am looking at a 70 c10 that has a 6.0 ls motor out of a 2005 chevy 2500. I have not heard it run yet. I never owned a truck with this type of motor and never would attempt such a conversion myself. if it runs right I may buy it. what should I look for to avoid a nightmare truck? it also has the transmission that came with the motor. this man selling it had it bult for his son and it scared him so bad he doesn't want it. is this a 4 speed overdrive automatic? any input is helpful. I will get some pictures tomorrow.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: ls motor question

3/4 ton 6.0 more than likely has a 4l80e which is a advanced version of a turbo 400 and is a 4spd trans. The conversion itself is not to big of a deal for a guy with half way descent mechanical ability and this websites brotherhood of advisors.Just treat it like it was a normal small block truck, your really looking for the same things.on the swap side of it look at how the engine and trans mounts...if its a hack job it will be obvious. Look at the wiring harness,, is it a homemade harness or store bought,, check to see how they did the fuel system..did they have it dynoed after they built it..you can check engine codes on it just like a new truck ..It should be a hot little truck with that setup in it.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
1968aj

this truck is still running off the behind the seat fuel tank so I will look at how that is done. I will also check for where the plug for the code reader plug or whatever you call it.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: ls motor question

6.0 /4l80e combo is what I have. If it's done right you will have a nice daily driver. I love mine. Things to look for. Wires spliced and not shrink wraped and loose wiring. Drive the truck with 1/2 tank our less to see if it sloshes are the motor spurters when taking curves. If so they didn't do it right. Check the codes and see if they had a mail tune are dyno tune done.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
GIZZ

Make sure the oil pressure is good, just like looking at any engine. High mile ls oil pump or pickup tube o ring failure can happen, then you end up needing rod bearings or worse if not addressed in time.

It will be easy to id the 4l80 trans, it's just bigger and has a longer, less square pan vs the 4l60/70. It will be harder to id the 6.0 block, you won't easily be able to see the "6.0" on the left front of the block casting if the accessories are in the way. Write down whatever numbers on the block, ecu you can find and google them. You'd hate to end up with a 5.3 or 4.8 even. One of the big magazines did a budget turbo setup and after turbod up and dynod they discovered it was a 4.8.

You can't beat a modern swap, cheap hp, don't leak oil. '05 block has the fatter ls2 rods, I know what I'd do with that truck. I'd be more concerned with looking at the body on the truck, that will be more expensive to redo than the driveline.

'69 c10 panel, '75 c35 flatdeck car hauler
GIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
1968aj

I went back and looked the truck over. the owner had it running and driving. the wiring is spliced and taped together. loose wires everywhere. nothing mounted right. the transmission did not shift right. the harmonic balancer wobbled. the gauges were not hooked up. it is a s/b fleetside with no rust. it has a new paint job. it has all new drop suspension and disc brakes. I hope it could be completely rewired and be worth buying I am trying to get price down to make it worth the trouble.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Dang it...it would have to be very cheap before I would buy it and from what your describing if I bought it I would gut it all back out and start over..sounds like somebody got in over their head on this one. No gauges and wobbling h/b on motor would scare me on that,,trans acting funny scares me on that and that wiring job would scare me there...just a rolling chassis if body is good sounds like.

Last edited by mongocanfly; 04-15-2016 at 12:24 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968aj
[snip]... this man selling it had it bult for his son and it scared him so bad he doesn't want it.[/snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
[snip]... sounds like somebody got in over their head on this one. No gauges and wobbling h/b on motor would scare me on that,,trans acting funny scares me on that and that wiring job would scare me there...just a rolling chassis if body is good sounds like.[/snip]

maybe this is exactly what the old man meant by it scared the kid? not that it is TOO fast but maybe because it is a wiring nightmare and a fire hazard?

also it sounds like to me that he just cobbled everything together, home grown wire harness and maybe not even a tune. check codes if you can

what is he asking for it?

I would consider what mongocanfly said. you would almost need to gut it and start over with the swap, focusing on wire harness and gauges. depending upon the asking price, i would honestly ONLY consider it a rolling chassis with body, count in the engine as a whole but discount for the amount of labor and actual out of pocket expense to fix all the wiring issues.

I am in Kalifornia where these trucks are not exactly rare but the people who are trying to sell them think they are rare and solid gold. I am a cheap skate and would consider this to be a 3500-4000 $$$ truck here if it is indeed rust free (and not just a rust cover up) and the body was straight even if paint was an issue. The problem with this type of deal is that the easiest part is done, what is left will require actual cash and the patience of Jobe. you gotta consider what it is worth to YOU or what you could get for it after all your work, even if your only considering it as a flip job.

Only my opinion.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote