The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
Alberta65

Porterbuilt hood hinge issues EDIT: PLUS BAD REVIEW

Finally got around to installing my hood hinges, pretty darn happy with the build and quality of the hinges. A couple holes don't quite line up but it's just due to the different bends for the cowl. My biggest issues!!

I got everything mounted then realized the hinges down clear the heater line coming out of the box that runs down to the water pump. Kinda pissed as there Is no mention of this issue when purchasing and I live in the great white north so no way in hell im deleting the heater core.

Any advice??

EDIT: now that I have cut apart my heater box and still keeping a positive attitude about it all I decided to mock up the hood. The hood brackets were tacked in place and yes I measured about 10 times cause it's so precise. Anyways! Hinges fit nicely and lined up with hood brackets.... HERES WHERE I GET PISSED OFF.... I started all bolts into hinge brackets by hand then maybe turned them in once or twice just to keep the hood in place to see if it shut.... wel f**k me if every one of those little bolts it's jammed into those threads. I was above
To remove all but two without breaking but Jesus Christ I'm pissed. It appears to me that when he welds his nuts on to the back of the hinges the heat is ruining the threads and causing binding issues. Basically seems like cheap metal issues.....

MY OPINION. If you spend $400 on a set of hinges they damn well better be perfect, which does not mean needing to tap every hole and redo most of the welds......

Unfortunately I would not recommend anyone else deal with this crap and because of these hood hinges and this really little but annoying issue I will definitely be trying out GSI for my front crossmember next winter....
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Alberta65; 10-08-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Alberta65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Porterbuilt hood hinge issues

The '60-'63 deluxe heater has only one heater core line coming out of the top. The other comes out the front. I'm not sure if that would help your situation or not.

I would imagine that probably 90%+ of the people using those hinges are not using a original deluxe heater.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
Alberta65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The '60-'63 deluxe heater has only one heater core line coming out of the top. The other comes out the front. I'm not sure if that would help your situation or not.

I would imagine that probably 90%+ of the people using those hinges are not using a original deluxe heater.
Ya go figure! From everything I have researched I feel like I'm the only guy in the world who hasn't deleted the heater box haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Vinceg

Hey Alberta65,
I came across a 64-66 this summer while in BC. It had an under the dash heater the hoses went through the fire wall. It had delet plates over the Delux heater holes. I couldn’t get a good picture because the hood hinges were seized. I’ve only ever seen the delux heaters up here until I came across this thing. I took a picture of a firewall from the truck next to it. It had the Delux heater removed but it had the extra holes I’m Referring to. Some of the forum members to the south might know more about this typ of heater. I do believe the truck was all original. Sorry to hear of your frustrations. I will see if I can get my brother to go get some pictures. Not sure how good a heater it is but it would be better than nothing and no big box on the firewall. This thing isn’t letting me mange attachments.

Vince
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Vinceg

This is the firewall i took picks of with the extra holes.
Attached Images

Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
Alberta65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceg View Post
This is the firewall i took picks of with the extra holes.
Shoot I wish I had seen something like this earlier!! I didn't even know that existed. Honestly doesn't need to be the greatest heater just good enough to keep the window defrosted on cold fall mornings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

In that case you could convert to a '60-'63 recirculating heater. I would have suggested that previously but I thought you needed good heat all winter long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta65 View Post
Shoot I wish I had seen something like this earlier!! I didn't even know that existed. Honestly doesn't need to be the greatest heater just good enough to keep the window defrosted on cold fall mornings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #8
Alberta65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
In that case you could convert to a '60-'63 recirculating heater. I would have suggested that previously but I thought you needed good heat all winter long.
No unfortunately I can't run this ol girl in our winters.... 2wd trucks on air don't go through 2 foot tall snow drifts very well. Hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
gizmoduck81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta65 View Post
No unfortunately I can't run this ol girl in our winters.... 2wd trucks on air don't go through 2 foot tall snow drifts very well. Hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device
If you want a really nice one they appear on eBay completely restored. Not mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1961-19...NZPvFh&vxp=mtr

This is what I run in mine in Seattle. It keeps the fog off the windshield, but you need to crack the passenger side floor vent to let in fresh air to remove moisture from the cab. The controls are only DEF and FAN. Not sure if you'll need to change anything on the control panel or not.
gizmoduck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:56 AM   #10
rvrfoot

My buddy did one a long time ago i will try to find some pictures.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote