The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
dalegend

Brake warning lamp issue

The brake warning lamp is coming on and staying on with the headlamps on. The light does not come on at any other time.

With the headlamp switch in the off position or the park lamp position the lamp is not on. The lamp only comes on with the headlamps on.

I would assume if it was a short to ground somewhere in the wire to the from the warning lamp switch to the ignition switch or from the ignition switch to the warning lamp bulb it would be on at all times.

Any ideas?

Instagram @sqclcustoms
dalegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
Moose Monkey

Re: Brake warning lamp issue

Just on with low or high or both beams? Might be ground problem in headlight circuit.
Moose Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
dalegend

I will check into this. The only wiring done on the truck over the winter was to replace two wiring harnesses. Direct replacement harnesses and all plugged in so no splicing was done. One harness from the cab to the rear lamp harness that runs the length of the frame and the rear tail lamp harness.

The one thing I notice is that the left rear tail lamp had never been as bright as the right rear. Have tried new bulb but it did not fix it. Not sure if this can be related. Bad ground at the lamp?

Haven't touched any other wiring all winter

Instagram @sqclcustoms
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
dalegend

Lamp is on with high beams or low beams.

Instagram @sqclcustoms
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Exclamation Re: Brake warning lamp issue

Simple. The brake light switch is a ground activation circuit.

I would disconnect the switch under the hood and see if the light goes out. If it does then the head lights are some how grounding through the brake switch wire.

If you have everything working other than this one issue take a look at the back side of the ignition switch. Then the fuse block. The brake switch light on the dash runs to the ignition switch then to the fuse block then out to the switch on the brakes. It maybe shorting in the ignition switch plastic connector (those are bad about melting) theen the fuse block. Per the drawing I posted.
Is the temp gauge acting funny it's right beside the brake switch on the ignition switch connector. It's a ground also.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...185856&page=16

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
davepl

I'm still stymied as to how applying power to the headlight circuit could complete the ground circuit for the brown brake wire. That's the problem, they're two different types of circuits. So leaking power from the headlight switch to the brake light wouldn't do anything. And turning on the headlight switch doesn't create a ground potential anywhere. So weird.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Brake warning lamp issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I'm still stymied as to how applying power to the headlight circuit could complete the ground circuit for the brown brake wire. That's the problem, they're two different types of circuits. So leaking power from the headlight switch to the brake light wouldn't do anything. And turning on the headlight switch doesn't create a ground potential anywhere. So weird.
That's when everything is right in the system.

We have no idea what he has yet! It maybe he needs to disconnect the brake switch and see what happens.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
dalegend

Lamp stays on with the wire to the warning switch disconnected

Instagram @sqclcustoms
Old 03-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
Moose Monkey

Tail light does sound like ground problem at Mount point (bolts thru light assembly) . What was the other wires replaced?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
Moose Monkey

Just for giggles,try grounding the brake switch wire with a test light. Both without an with lights on/off
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
leddzepp

Just for fun, next time it happens, stomp on the brake pedal REALLY hard and see if the light goes out.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalegend View Post
The brake warning lamp is coming on and staying on with the headlamps on. The light does not come on at any other time.

Does the light come on normally when the key is turned to start?

With the headlamp switch in the off position or the park lamp position the lamp is not on. The lamp only comes on with the headlamps on.

I'm trying to remember if the 67 dash lights come on in the park position or just in the headlights on. I'm thinking that the dash lights are grounding the brake warning light position somehow when they are on.

Try jumping power to the PNL LTS fuse with everything off and see if the BW comes on. If it doesn't then turn the key on and jump the fuse.
Post back wit the findings.

I would assume if it was a short to ground somewhere in the wire to the from the warning lamp switch to the ignition switch or from the ignition switch to the warning lamp bulb it would be on at all times.

This is correct, which you can verify by grounding the BW switch wire at the master cylinder and turning on the key. This is what the key does when the key is put in start. This is what Andy is getting at.

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
And so am I, The two circuits are exactly the opposite.
The headlights are switched on the positive side and the brake warning light is switched on the ground side.

There may be a wiring mistake on the cluster plug that would give a ground to the BW bulb when the dash lights are on. Otherwise I don't see a connection between the BW bulb and the headlight switch other than the dash lights.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

There should be no path to ground for the brake warning bulb except through Pin 2 on the cluster plug. If you could pull that pin wire then it would isolate the ground to the cluster. This is true for both the light cluster and the gauge cluster. Which do you have?

Name:  guage wiring.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  42.1 KB

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Is it possible that it's light bleeding thru cluster? I.e. The cardboard tube that isolates the indvidual bulbs in the cluster maybe is missing or damaged? Going out on a lib here. I'm not in front of my cluster to see if this is even possible but thought maybe I'd throw it out there.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Brake warning lamp issue

Vett both the brake light wire and the head lights come off the ignition switch harness also right? They could be contacting each other in between some place. Maybe even in the plastic connector on the key switch itself. I had to replace my once due to over heating and melting of the plastic. I never did find the cause but it's never done it again since I installed the new connector.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #16
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Vett both the brake warning light wires and the head lights come off the ignition switch harness also right? They could be contacting each other in between some place. Maybe even in the plastic connector on the key switch itself. I had to replace my once due to over heating and melting of the plastic. I never did find the cause but it's never done it again since I installed the new connector.
Hello Andy

According to the wiring diagram, the feed wires for the key and headlight switch are separate wires although they both connect with the engine bay wire from the alternator battery junction. Look in the middle of the diagram where the red wires join. One to horn relay, one to ignition switch, one to the fuse box, and one to the headlight switch. All connected at the junction with the wire from the engine bay.

Name:  Copy of Cab-1web panel lights.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  101.1 KB

This one shows the red power wires to the key switch (top) and the headlight switch (bottom right). If we could post both diagrams together and line up the wires it would be much easier to see. Ignore the black arrows they show the accessory wire to the fuse panel that powers the wipers,heater fan switch and turn signals.

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  104.5 KB

The brake warning light is just an open circuit to ground, and it must be grounded for the light to come on. If it gets shorted to a positive wire then the light won't come on because there is 2 positive sources on each side of the light, and no current can flow through it to light the filament. This is how the charging light works in the idiot light dash.

If there were another power source to the light on the brown wire side, when the key was turned to start, the brown wire would become grounded and the light might illuminate, but the other power source would go directly to ground, and we know what that means.

Your ignition switch connector probably melted because of a large amp draw through it over a long period of time. That's why the factory went to the relays instead of running all the power through the ign switch.

If we get some answers from the OP we'll know more about what's wrong.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Brake warning lamp issue

Agree we need more info from him.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #18
Moose Monkey

Any luck yet?