The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
slimbailess

my long term project

this is my wifes grandfathers 1946 gmc 1ton, which he bought new. he passed away several years ago, but her grandmother is alive and well. my intention is to take her for a ride again, but it's been a long road so far... I got the truck, with her blessing, but her daughter hated for me to take it, she liked the way it looked when the flowers bloomed...it was last registered in 1958, they had been using it to run an irrigation pump for several years, I don't know when it last ran. it's a GMC, which had an oddball bolt pattern and dual wheels, so I tore it apart and it sat for most of a year while I was working and gathering parts...I am planning on making it run first, then pulling it back apart for paint and bodywork....pics....

Last edited by slimbailess; 05-16-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: wrong date
slimbailess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Dinos63
chevy only

Re: my long term project

slim!! how you been duude ??
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
slimbailess

been doing good, Dino... not as good as you, seems like you build a new truck every other week!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Subscribed. What happened to the pics?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
slimbailess

had trouble loading pictures...had to learn how to resize
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
slimbailess

ok I think I have it now....
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Dinos63
chevy only

cool truck!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Todd68Chevy

I like the GMC grilles. I wish I had one for my 46 Chevy. Good Luck

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.
Todd68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
slimbailess

update!! I am really bad about taking progress pics but have a few...let me start with the problems I've had with this build...back then, GMC did their own thing, their own motors and own wheel patterns(sometimes).This one ton 46 GMC had dual wheels with a 6 on 7 1/2 bolt pattern, and they were the suicide split rims, with an oval locking ring....Stockton Wheel had some replacements but they were around 200 a wheel for a plain steel wheel, plus I would have to buy 6 new tires..so I decided to change to 8 on 6 1/2 later GM....tried to find a Frito-Lay truck for a disc brake axle, no luck...tried to find a motor home with front disc...no luck...found a dodge motor home with dual wheels, bought the axle but it was too wide and the steering was different...long story short, I decided to find a 50's 8 lug axle...found one out of a 53? thought it would bolt in...springs were different widths, so I combined it with the original 46 axle, and now its back under the truck, with bendix brakes...was able to find a 14 bolt dually axle with 4 wheels and decent tires for a good price, and a friend loaned me two 8 lug rollers for the front..it's rolling again!!! the original gas tank was full of dirt and rusted through, and replacements were a couple hundred...found a side mount tank on a frame in the wrecking yard and now its on the frame...the brakes, I got a dual res master cylinder from a 60's gm truck and built a bracket to make the original pedal work and ran new brake lines...I think it will be running for the July 4th parade!!! oh and I found a chevy hood at a wrecking yard for $50, since the original one was pancaked...the paint(thats left) even matches!!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
slimbailess

ok, I am terrible at posting updates, but with my wifes help on recovering my seat and building the flatbed, we were able to get the truck running in time for the 4th of July Parade! Her grandmother was not able to make it out for the parade, due to having fallen recently, but my mother and wife both rode with me in the parade...the hood did not fit with the aftermarket radiator, and there numerous trips to the parts store trying to find hoses and electrical parts to fit, plus some replacement parts for the steering column didn't show up, but I was able to cobble it together to make it work safely....the truck ran fine in the parade, never overheating, just idling high sometimes. got lots of questions about the year of it and was told many times it was neat and not to change a thing....the brakes also worked like they should, and the only problem was sore arms from steering and waving....next up is rust repair and detailing of the motor, along with wiring the lights and and putting in new glass....not sure if I will paint it or not, the natural patina looks pretty good I think...also, today I picked up a pair of 46 front fenders cheap from a friend when I went to pick up some other parts...they aren't in great shape, but between them and the originals I think I will be able to improve on what I have
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Shaun1162

Great looking truck and a nice story too!
- 1933 Ford Stock Car
Shaun1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
slimbailess

so, here is the truck as it sits now, waiting for me to get back on it....I had surgery on my toe, and was told to stay off my foot so no progress...other than paperwork for title and tags so it will be street legal...and lots of building in my mind....
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
slimbailess

once again, not much progress....a friend of mine on here, Dino, had some parts from one of his projects he wasn't going to use, dual front wheel adapters;-) talked him into selling them to me, and got two more wheels and some tires, and the 46 is a dually again!!! work and other projects have kept me busy, but the 46 will get some more love in the spring, as I will be buying windows for it and working on getting the cab weather tight...needs brake work and a rebuilt carb too, but at least its moving forward...
Attached Images