The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

water in the carb

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: water in the carb

That reminds me of when I worked at a shop in Idaho, and a farmer called the shop to help him get his tractor started in the spring. The boss was big on ether, even for diesel engines. He "spritzed" some into the intake, the engine caught, and pushed a plug of ice out of the exhaust pipe. Sold the guy a new rain cap, too. That guy was nuts. Another time, a local trucking company called him to start one of their semis. He hooked up both batteries to jumpers, and commenced to spraying ether into the air cleaner. The guy that drove the truck RAN away when he saw how much he sprayed. He said, "You can't tease it, give it a LOT!". It started, but probably wasn't too far from exploding.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Uh.....I want to know is, why is it in the pool?

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Uh.....I want to know is, why is it in the pool?
Yeah, there's a story, right there!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:56 AM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Something I have noticed about being, well, a geezer..... It doesn't always take a lot to trigger an old memory and then you want to tell others about it.

Some of you may know that my truck has 3 gas tanks. Many years ago I filled a side tank at our only local discount fuel outlet. As soon as I switched to that tank, the truck started running badly. I switched to another tank and went back to the gas station for a refund. The attendant was highly indignant -- "THERE IS NO WATER IN OUR GAS!!"

I persisted, he came up with a stick and smeared a compound on the bottom of it. I remembered that stuff from when I was a kid working in a gas station. He sticks it into my tank. "If this stuff touches any water, it will turn........ purple."
You guessed it, the lower part of the stick was purple. The guy's attitude changed in a heartbeat.

He refunded my purchase price. I drained the contaminated fuel myself, no cost to them. Should have taken him up on his offer to pay for a shop to do it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
rpmerf

As someone who worked at a 7-11 gas station for years, I had no idea there was a test for water.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

My sister put their Kubota rear steer mower into the pond once mowing around the edge. Didn't take much once the front drive wheel slipped. Wasn't a big deal remedying it and getting it back to mowing, like it never happened. She got a lot more careful after that!

I had two good old small blocks (283 & 350/350hp) I had recently picked up waiting for space indoors to be made. I had them under a good tarp for a couple weeks. I uncovered them one evening to get the numbers off of them. One thing led to the other and next thing I knew I was waking up middle of the night to a torrential downpour. "Did I cover those engines back up?". It hadn't rained in weeks and no I had not covered them up due to getting distracted with phone calls, supper, then darkness, forgot to go back out. I certainly had no time to tear two engines down and deal with all that. I got on Craigslist, "For Sale: Chevy small blocks for parts. Condition unknown". Not that I didn't tell about the rain. Each one went to guys who tore right into them and saved. Oh well, they were future builders for me. No need to make space after that!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
As someone who worked at a 7-11 gas station for years, I had no idea there was a test for water.
Sticking tanks with Color Cut, the good old days!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
Sticking tanks with Color Cut, the good old days!
X2, I stuck the tanks daily when I worked at a Texaco station.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #10
67C10Step

When I was in college I worked on a construction crew tying steel, forming, pouring, and finishing concrete. I was about 20 at the time I think and a guy I worked with put a skid steer into the pool at a country club. Don't know how he kept his job but he did.

I spent a good bit of time back in the spring of 2017 recovering two atv's, one riding mower, a generator, and two chainsaws that were in a flood at my father in laws place. It was almost Biblical in that there was about 56 inches of water throughout the whole house and garage/shop. Enough to float and flip an atv, the other one had the small generator sitting on the front rack so it didn't float.

What a mess, spent four days cleaning out the place and tearing out sheet rock and insulation. If you've never cleaned up after a flood it still amazes me the trash and mud that water carried everywhere.

Funny story (sort of): My father in law had a 2007 Impala SS at the time and it was totally submerged but the insurance adjuster did not want us to move it until he could come look at it. Of course, it's right in the first stall of the garage nearest the door to the house and right in the way. Insurance guy finally gets there and says, "water got over the dash, it's a total loss." Hell, I could have sent you a photo to prove that and got this thing out of here. Anyway, I get the tractor and back it up to the car and start dragging a chain out. My father in law looked at me and said "I don't think there is anywhere to attach that chain." My response was, "I'll knock a hole in the windshield and wrap it around the steering wheel if I have to. It can't get more totaled and is coming out right now."

Heard my father in law tell my wife that when I am in crisis management mode I don't have a lot of patience.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
rpmerf

I had the fun of cleaning up after a flood once. Isabel around 2004. My Aunt and Uncle's house is on Wilson Point, on Middle River, which connects to the Chesapeake Bay. There is a standing water mark in the garage about 4 feet high. They have 2 houses on the property, a small cottage and their main house. The waves were breaking over the roof of the cottage. When they came back the next day, they took a kayak over the 3 foot wall where their driveway connects to the street. The electrical panel is in the craw space under the main house. That was under water. We had a bunch of friends and family there helping to clean up and rebuild for weeks.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
Oh yes every state has a there own requirements as far as testing times and how much water is allowable in the tanks , some states allow up to 4 inches of water in these tanks ,most states weights and measurements division allow 2 inches of water , and most if not all tanks have water in them, just the nature of the beast with inground tanks. its not common to get a tank full of water in your car ,but when it happens its mostly because gas was being delivered at the time are rite after the refill of the the tanks at the station . So if you see a tanker filling the tanks at a station move on to the next station for your gas.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #13
kwmech

I owned a gas station for almost 20 years. I had above ground tanks. The is/was a product that is like a capsule about 1-1/2'' in diameter and about 6-8'' long filled with crystals. Drop it in the tank on a string and let it roll around in the bottom. Crystals absorb the water and turn to gell which is captured inside the screen. Changed those out about every 6 months.. I had NO water issues
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote