The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
freak

repair or replace floor?

1972 C10. I have a dilemma... I have my cab off and need to repair my floor. On both sides I need:

outer cab floor extension
front cab floor supports
rocker panels
http://www.manestruckparts.com/store...Category_ID=18

The rear support isn't bad and what rust damage there is can be fixed without replacement. The floor is very solid outside of the areas close to the doors. The total for those parts from Manes is around $200 plus probably $50 shipping. I'm going to get the floor sandblasted inside and out and that I have quoted at $250. So easily $500.

Jegs has the whole floor for $460 shipped. I'd still need rockers so the total is almost the same at around $500.

Obviously to replace the whole floor I need to install a bunch of bracing and drill out a ton of rivets. Plus I see from other threads that the whole floor pans typically need quite a bit of adjustment to get in correctly.

So the cost is about the exact same either way. What would you do? Patch or replace the whole floor?
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Kennuck

Re: repair or replace floor?

I would patch it up. It doesn't sound all that bad. I like to keep as much original metal as possible.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
hugger6933

The time to do the floor vs. the outer parts is astounding the time will eat you up. You can do three trucks with a cab kit compared to one floor job. Look into the cab "kit" some store sell them others are not real excited about them cause it gets into their money. The parts that are in the "kit" are about $230 separate but in "kit" form it is $160. The only thing about the kit is they do not include footwell panels that your gonna need if your doing the floor [extension] and inner and out er rocker and cab corners.
I'm very happy with the kit I have done one and have another kit sitting against the paint booth waiting for my truck to come in.
I've also talked to the man at key parts about adding in the footwells to the "kit"
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
freak

I've googled it and found a kit for $160 but they don't contain the front and rear floor supports which I need. That's an extra $75-$80. I don't know that the kit would go in that much quicker if you need to do all four floor supports. What do you think?
freak is offline   Reply With Quote