The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
NEWBIEC10

Removing front springs on 1968 Chevy C10 with drums

total newbie on chevy c 10! will my lower control arm clear my drum brakes when I undo the castle nut on my lower ball joint to drop out the spring? it looks like the drum may interfere with the lower control arm seeking advice Thanks
NEWBIEC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
NEWBIEC10

Re: Removing front springs on 1968 Chevy C10 with drums

Anyone? Do I half to remove the drum from the spindle? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
NEWBIEC10

Removing front springs. PLEASE HELP!!!

1968 C-10 with drum brakes, If I loosen the castle nut on the lower ball joint and then free the ball joint. Will the A arm clear my drum backing plate? It looks to me that it will not. Has anyone done it? Thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Pro Performance

Re: Removing front springs. PLEASE HELP!!!

I am a little confused on your question, but think you are asking if the spring can be removed by just removing the lower ball joint from the spindle. Yes, this should be enough room to swing the arm down and pull the spring out. Be very careful, as the spring still may be under tension even though the ball joint is free.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
airdale94

Not sure what you think will interfere. Once you break that ball joint loose the only thing that will interfere with the control arm is the ground.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #6
Motoxrrar

I had disc brakes on mine. Ended up taking everything out and rebuilding all the wearable parts. But to answer your question, yes you should have enough clearance. Also use a jack if possible to slowly let the tension off the spring. Use a safety tie or strap so you don't loos your head.
Motoxrrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
70Custom10Nut

Bear with me, I'm typing this from memory. If I'm missing something, please correct me.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you never get under a truck that is being held up by a jack. If the jack fails, that makes for a bad day

You have to have your tie rods off, then set the truck down so that the weight of the truck compresses the springs. Loosen and remove the castlenut, then slowly lift the truck up until the springs are loose enough to remove. (Have a jack stand ready to put under te frame for if you want to do any other work.)
Put your new spring in place and slowly lower the truck until you can reinstall the castlenut.
After you do both sides and reinstall the tie rods, you'll have to get an alignment done, because of the new springs.

Again if there's anyone out there that sees anything I missed, cerrect it
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

I know these trucks are getting old my 67 ball joint did not want to pop out so I just unbolted the top a arms you can get the spring out that way , and don't get under the truck put your wheels n tires under the truck that way if it falls they will catch it no harm done ,, if your truck has had new ball joints recenly they will pop out , my truck is an original knoxville tn truck where their is no mountains all city use so mine still has the original ball joints ,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Hawghauler

I would jack up the truck, support it, then remove front wheel. Remove the bottom of the shock from it's mount. Loosen the castle nut but don't remove. Run it up to the top of the threads. Leave the nut on with just enough threads to leave the top of the stud level with the bottom of the pin grooves. With suspension hanging and the nut loosened, Smack the spindle where the ball joint goes through and the spring will push it down. The castle nut will stop it from going too far. With a jack lift the lower control arm until the castle nut rises from the spindle, then remove the castle nut. Slowly lower the control arm until the ball joint clears the spindle. Once this point is reached the spindle will be able to swing out enough that the control arm will easily clear the drum. Carefully lower it more until the spring is free'd up. Remove the original spring and replace. I find that if you have an old inner tube, cut a piece big enough to insulate the spring from the top and the bottom where they make contact with the control arms. This will stop any squeaking of the springs while in motion. Install the new spring. If the ball joints are good, reassemble. Then you will have to get an alignment as stated above.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
msgdsrf

Not sure it was stated, but you want to go at the top joint not the bottom. And do as the other wrote. Hitting the spindle while it is preassured from the spring will pop it loose. Then just control the release with a jack below the bottom a arm. Be sure to have the truck good and high, you'll need some room.
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
NEWBIEC10

Ok, thanks for the info. What I'm seeing the back side of the drum is somewhat dished and the end of the A arm is about a 1/4 of an inch from touching the backing of the drum. Since the backing of the drum is not flat and somewhat dished I think it might not clear. I believe that you guys have lots of knowledge and I'm completely new at this trucks. I'll give it a try this weekend and see if it will work. Thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
NEWBIEC10

Ok, thanks for the info. What I'm seeing the back side of the drum is somewhat dished and the end of the A arm is about a 1/4 of an inch from touching the backing of the drum. Since the backing of the drum is not flat and somewhat dished I think it might not clear. I believe that you guys have lots of knowledge and I'm completely new at this trucks. I'll give it a try this weekend and see if it will work. Thanks***
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

When I did the conversion on my '68, I think I was able to pull the whole spindle off as one unit. Since the ball joint stud and the hole in the spindle are tapered, once you get them loose, their ends up being a fair amount of movement so you can get it past the lip of the A arm.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
airdale94

Once you get that that ball joint loose the spindle assembly will be able to swing out away from the truck. If you go from the top ball joint that drum/ spindle assembly will flop down, and it's heavy so have a good hold on it. Also those springs are under alot of pressure so be carefull! You can support the truck on the frame, then load up the spring by jack under the lower control arm.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I merged the two threads started by the original poster.

Please don't do this, it is against the rules for a reason. Nothing but confusion comes from it.

Copied from the rules, as of 4/7/09

XIV. Multiple Posting - It is simply not acceptable to post your question more than once, or to post it in more than one forum. Choose the forum that your question or post best fits in, and place it there and only there. If, after posting, you feel it should be in another forum, private message the forum Moderator and ask if they would move it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
NEWBIEC10

Longhair, I wanted to post it under suspension originally. But it wouldn't let me post it for some reason. It was saying something about server error. So I posted it on the main forum. Then since it was suspension related I tried it later and it worked. I'm not one to brake rules. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #17
northerngmc

Were you able to get the drum brake past the end of the lower control arm?
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote