The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
roger55

Re: TF pickups with TPI engine photos wanted.

Wow.
I don't know where you could have come up with all of those.

That first one is sure over the top!
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
I'm a little concerned about my header / steering box clearance. I still have the original box in there now and have the new CPP 400 power steering box on order (should be here next week). In this photo, you can see it's a little tight. I've got about 1/4" at the #7 tube and about 1/2" at #5.
I guess if I have to, I'll cut the tack welds and move the engine to the passenger side a little.
Quoting myself here to answer the question. Bummer. Those block hugger headers I bought won't even come close to fitting with the CPP 400 power steering box.

I guess I sell them on ebay which is where I got them.

So, what should I do, any ideas?

Maybe one of these? They are inexpensive but look pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360660614945...84.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380642060653...84.m1438.l2649
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #28
roger55

I ended up ordering the ramhorns in the bottom picture. They look like pretty good castings.

I started mocking up my air intake today. I bought a new bellows boot for a LT1 Trans-Am WS6 ram air. It was expensive at $60 but it is perfect for what I want to do.

I'm going to do this pretty similar to what I did on my '55 Bel Air that I showed in the photo earlier in this thread.

I will butt weld a straight section of pipe to the 90 and also weld a support to the bottom side to match up with a flange I will make and mount to the shroud for support for the pipe.

I haven't decided about a air filter box yet but most likely it will reside in the wheel well.

In the photo, it looks like it might be difficult to fit my upper radiator hose. But, I've got the hose and tubing I'm going to use and it will not be a problem.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #29
roger55

Coming along:

I've decided that I'm going to go with this Spectre inline air filter housing. It will fit perfectly connected in line with the pipe inside the fenderwell.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #30
roger55

Continuing my engine install mock-up.

Got the ramhorn manifolds in. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of them. Seem just as good as originals. Plenty of room now with my CPP 400 power steering box.

Got both my radiator hoses in place. The lower one was easy. Just a hose with a molded 90. The upper is a little more complicated. I had to order a new thermostat housing with to except an 1 1/2" hose. The original is a 1 1/4". I chose to use a stainless 90 fitting to connect the molded 90 degree hose to the radiator. I prefer to do it this way because I'm not a fan those corrugated bendable metal hose kits.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
Katrina/10

Looks like you got it. I'm with you on the hose, what you did looks great.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #32
Coupeguy2001

What are you doing with the heater hoses? does your water pump have a heater hose fitting?
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #33
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
What are you doing with the heater hoses? does your water pump have a heater hose fitting?
Good question.
The one on the engine now does not (probably OEM). I certainly need one there since I don't have a connection on my radiator for a return. But, it looks like a replacement water pump from O'Reillys does. I wouldn't mind having a new one on there anyway.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #34
Coupeguy2001

I have been searching for a better way to hook up my heater. The setup I am using is the water-oil cooler from an 87 corvette, and the water does not get hot enough in the winter. The original corvette system has the heater hose on the water pump.
Someone told me that I could use the in head water temp sender hole between the last two cylinders on the right head, but not sure that will work either.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #35
roger55

Quote:
I have been searching for a better way to hook up my heater. The setup I am using is the water-oil cooler from an 87 corvette, and the water does not get hot enough in the winter. The original corvette system has the heater hose on the water pump.
Someone told me that I could use the in head water temp sender hole between the last two cylinders on the right head, but not sure that will work either.
I think the supply has to come from the manifold but maybe it could come from a head port (not sure). The return has to go to the radiator, water pump or into the lower radiator hose.

In my '55 Bel Air, I have a fitting in the middle of my lower radiator hose that I use for my heater hose.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
Coupeguy2001

I am getting ready to put TPI in the truck, and the water pump/serpentine belt set-up is from a Camaro, but it is a 89 corvette TPI 350. The Camaro pump does not have a fitting on it. I f I used the corvette pump, the pump is too short, I would have to make spacers to push it out far enough for the pulleys to line up, so I just may try the head fitting. On the 86 corvette that I have, I eliminated the water from going through the throttle body, and used a 90 degree fitting heater hose from NAPA. I just googled the Camaro heater hose routing, and they use the throttle body for the water pressure to go to the heater through a vacuum operated heater valve.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #37
Coupeguy2001

What would it take to get a lower radiator hose adapter like the one you have on your Bel Air? I guess we have the same serpentine belt setup.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
Coupeguy2001

By the way, I used the 86 corvette exhaust headers on my truck, they look ok, but would look better chromed or polished or something, but they work.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #39
roger55

Quote:
What would it take to get a lower radiator hose adapter like the one you have on your Bel Air? I guess we have the same serpentine belt setup.
I think I found that 45 stainless tubing on ebay and the stainless fitting on Summit. I cut the hole in the tubing and took it to a welding shop and had it stainless welded up.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #40
Coupeguy2001

thx
Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #41
roger55

Quote:
I am getting ready to put TPI in the truck, and the water pump/serpentine belt set-up is from a Camaro, but it is a 89 corvette TPI 350. The Camaro pump does not have a fitting on it. I f I used the corvette pump, the pump is too short, I would have to make spacers to push it out far enough for the pulleys to line up, so I just may try the head fitting. On the 86 corvette that I have, I eliminated the water from going through the throttle body, and used a 90 degree fitting heater hose from NAPA. I just googled the Camaro heater hose routing, and they use the throttle body for the water pressure to go to the heater through a vacuum operated heater valve.
You can get a replacement water pump with the port on it that's the stock length. Like I said, O'Reillys has them.
On my '55 Bel Air, I bought the GMPP serpentine accessory kit and it came with a water pump with the heater hose port. I needed that port for a bypass though since my Ramjet engine is a Vortec. (Non-Vortec small blocks don't need the bypass.) So that's why I ran the heater hose on that to the lower radiator hose.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #42
roger55

I completed my underhood mock-up. I welded an a 3 1/2" to 4" exhaust pipe adapter directly to the inner fender. So the inside connects to my air pipe and the air filter housing connects to the outside. I may modify that air filter housing so air comes in at the front instead of the end side like it is as I don't want water splash from the tire to be able to get in there.

Now I'm ready to take the cab off the frame and continue with the restoration. I will be blasting and painting the frame and have some rust repair to do to the cab. I'll freshen up the engine and make it look new. I'll pull the intake and bead blast it and I'm planning on painting the block Chevy Orange. Mechanically, the only thing I'm going to do is check the timing chain and replace it if it has any play.

From underneath with fender on:

Support for air pipe mounted to radiator shroud:

Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #43
oossuuu754

Trying to trouble shoot AC issues so does anyone with a TPI have AC in their truck? If so is your compressor and blower able to compensate for the external heat these TPIs throw out. I truly forgot just how much heat these engines are producing.

My hoses and blower are new and the compressor is factory from an old Camaro but is engaging and holding pressure, cools when you first start up but as the engine runs it just starts blowing hot and cold.

AC is not my strong suit but any suggestions would be appreciated because it is 95 today and
Attached Images

Cecil-1953 5 window build thread

Skymangs..Chris of Old Sarge customs had a shop fire and was severly injured. To help with the medical bills and expenses a fund has been set up here....http://gofundme.com/c49h5mjx8 More details are here...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7253189
oossuuu754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #44
roger55

I've got a tpi in my truck. I've had several tpi engines over the years. I'm not aware that they put out any more heat than any other engine does. Where did you get that info? Cooling system temperatures are designed to be the same in all these ECM controlled engines which is typically hotter than what's done in an engine with a carb. ECM's can be recalibrated or re-chipped to run cooler if you wish.

Anyway, heat from the engine doesn't matter in an a/c system. The condenser is out in front of the engine and radiator and the evaporator is in the cab or at least in a box that is insulated from engine heat. Proper operation and system charge level and proper oil amount provides cooling to the compressor.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #45
solidaxel

There is a complete TPI set up on my shelf that needs a new home !!!
I skipped that class and went straight to LSx
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #46
oossuuu754

Quote:
I've got a tpi in my truck. I've had several tpi engines over the years. I'm not aware that they put out any more heat than any other engine does. Where did you get that info? Cooling system temperatures are designed to be the same in all these ECM controlled engines which is typically hotter than what's done in an engine with a carb. ECM's can be recalibrated or re-chipped to run cooler if you wish.

Anyway, heat from the engine doesn't matter in an a/c system. The condenser is out in front of the engine and radiator and the evaporator is in the cab or at least in a box that is insulated from engine heat. Proper operation and system charge level and proper oil amount provides cooling to the compressor.
Thanks Roger,

We have been fighting this thing from day one, started when Larry's Electric sold us a chip for V6 labeled as 350 chip. Finally got in touch with a good guy on the 3rd gen forum that helped me out and burned me a proper Memcal.

Anyways, I am going to be getting a crash course in trying to trouble shoot this AC problem or I wont be driving Cecil much during the daylight hours.

Skymangs..Chris of Old Sarge customs had a shop fire and was severly injured. To help with the medical bills and expenses a fund has been set up here....http://gofundme.com/c49h5mjx8 More details are here...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7253189
Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #47
oossuuu754

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
There is a complete TPI set up on my shelf that needs a new home !!!
I skipped that class and went straight to LSx
I wished I would have went LSx, but I had some sentimental attachment to this TPI but that left me several issues ago.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #48
roger55

Didn't realize this was my thread.
I guess I should give an updated photo after the final installation:

I'm hoping to have this thing ready for the road in a couple of months.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #49
oossuuu754

Quote:
Didn't realize this was my thread.
I guess I should give an updated photo after the final installation:

I'm hoping to have this thing ready for the road in a couple of months.
Looks great, sorry to hijack your thread!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #50
Coupeguy2001

Ossiu,
The reason your air is going hot to cold is because your system runs on vacuum.
When you first start it up, the vacuum is high at idle. when you give it gas, the vacuum falls off, opening the heater valve. when you get up to speed, and at cruising speed, the vacuum is steady, and the heater valve closes.
Try using a coffee can with a hole poked in it to let the coffee out, then make yourself an adapter where you can solder the hole in the coffee can with a washer with a small hole in it and just on the lid, solder a 1/8" tube through it and run the vacuum from your engine to a tee type vacuum check valve mounted close to the can, and the other end of the tee to your heater/AC controls.
That way, your vacuum sucks on the can, the vacuum goes to the heater controls, and the check valve keeps the vacuum in the can from escaping back into your engine when it is shut off.
The can acts like a vacuum reservoir.
Is it possible you got a vacuum reservoir with the donor car? check it out.