The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
65chevysub

flasher "speed"

I have a 72 tilt column in my 65 Suburban, and I hooked up the emergency flashers a couple months ago Yesterday I had to use them as a friend was broke down so I stopped to help Anyways, when I put them on, they were blinking at a normal speed, with the engine running, then they slowed down I shut the engine off and they kept getting slower. I have a heavy duty flasher on the circuit for them but do I need to do something else to have them blink at a normal speed all the time?
Thanks for any help or tips
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
franken

Re: flasher "speed"

The flasher uses a bimetalic strip to open and close the circuit based on heat generated by current flowing through it. Voltage w/ the engine is off is lower, so current is lower, so the flashing is slower. Try swapping the HD flasher for a regular one and see if it helps--otherwise, get used to it. You could also go through the circuits and fix any poor connections that limit current.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
65chevysub

Thanks franken I'll try a regular flasher and see what happens.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
homemade87

There is a electronic flasher that does not depend on the high voltage or load to make it work . It is controlled internally electronically . Mine flash the same in all conditions . Also fixed the fast flash when plugging up the trailer lights . Trailer lights pull extra current and makes the old style flasher heat up faster and flash fast .

Just google it and you should be able to find one for your truck . I picked mine up at my local parts store .

Last edited by homemade87; 09-14-2017 at 07:45 AM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
65chevysub

Thanks homemade87 I will check into that as well Right now, I lost my turn signals They have been working fine but this morning, nada. I'm going to check to see if there is current to the switch. The switch may have gave up the ghost It's been in the column since I had it installed in 1999 and it was used then.
Found my problem. The turn signal wire broke at the butt connector. fixed it and got signals again

Last edited by 65chevysub; 09-14-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: text changes