The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
Lee R.

89 Suburban Tailgate Latch Adjustment

Having trouble unlatching the tailgate on my 89 Suburban. When I lift the handle the driver's side latch releases ok but the pass. side doesn't. Is there an adjustment that can be made?

Thanks
Lee
Lee R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:54 PM   #2
KShortell

I think I had the same trouble once upon a time. If memory serves me right, I just bent the latch connecting rod a bit. It's been fine ever since.

You'lll have to open up the tailgate access panel to get to it.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
Grim Reaper

It may be a lock out device problem. There is a lever that the window hits when it is all the way down. It locks out the latches so you can't open the gate with the window open. I had a K5 that had a spring break in that and gave a simular problem.

The latch is different on my 88 Burb then it was on my 79 K5. I am having a problem with the switch that lets you operate the window once the gate is closed. You have to slam the snot out of the gate to trip the switch.

On the 79 it was in the driver side latch. Completly different latch on the 88 burb. I think the switch is relocated to the passengerside upright on the body and not in the gate at all. Any tips on getting it to work right without slamming the gate? (wish I had held out longer for a barn door model some times)
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
Lee R.

Thanks for the tips guys. Grim Reaper- I have that same problem sometimes with having to slam the gate shut to get the window to work. On my 89 the switch is a plunger type and is located in the tailgate on the pass. side latch. Should be the same with your 88. The rocker type switch on the pass. side body inside the truck turns the interior lights on & off when the tailgate is opened & closed.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
Grim Reaper

Thanks Lee. I guess I have two problems. The switch is not working for the dome lights. I'll take a look at that passengerside latch.

Defroster is not working as well. I wonder if I have something coming unplugged in the gate cause some of these problems.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Lee R.

Now that I have everything apart I found that there is a bolt in the center latch control that when it is loosened you can adjust the slack in the two latch rods and the tailgate release handle rod. This made unlatching the tailgate the easiest its been in the 6 years I've had the truck.

Lee