The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Question for the purists

When you are restoring a truck to be as close to stock as possible do you feel it is ok to add options that were available to your year even if your truck didn't come with that option?

Lets say you had a pretty basic truck and added some factory options. One of the new things you added isn't an option, but a new spid. Would you consider it ok to add the new options to the new spid?

Basic truck, added stock air, added air con to new spid ... Ok?

Basic truck, added everything to make it a Cheyenne Super, added to spid ... Ok?

Where would you draw the line?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Re: Question for the purists

If I were to do it like this I would keep the stock as built spid on the glove box door and then have a second updated spid made with the added options and place it maybe next the original or something like that. For me I like to have the original spid on the truck still.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Lets pretend the original spid is long gone, but you have the build sheet. Or maybe the you just know the truck as you own it is how it came from the factory. Then?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
RustyBucket

I'm a long way from a purist, but I do appreciate correct restorations. I think it's surely ok to do what you want with your truck. It's not ok to misrepresent it as a factory correct restoration.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Nothing pure about adding what wasn't there. Do what you want to your own truck but be honest about what it is if selling. To some, it's a plus to have all the bells and whistles even if they aren't original. But a purist will want it as built. I don't think it's a purest thing, it's a true collector thing. A truck that actually came with all the goodies, or a unique combination of, is a stand out truck compared to one that had it added. I think there are fewer who would be honest about the changes than those with the level of integrity to disclose. We see it all the time on Ebay.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

So basically no matter how tiny of an option you add you better not add it to the new spid? Your truck had lighter delete, you add a lighter ... don't put it on the new spid?

EDIT: BTW Im not a purist in the least, I don't care about absolute stock. Sometimes these questions come to me after perusing the board nearly all day lol.

Last edited by CG; 10-08-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I wouldn't mess with the spid. I think it is supposed to represent what the truck had when it left the factory

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
supercheyenne

I judge the value of the truck by it's original SPID.

If it has a replacement SPID I will automatically consider it a "mutt". Not hating, I just prefer the authenticity.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
dfwright

In my case, I want my truck to be as original as possible, but I wasn't building a show truck or a study in perfect restoration to original, so made what I considered to be important changes only. My truck is pretty much as it came from the factory, with a few exceptions. I added A/C, a front sway bar, carpet (originally vinyl mat), and 3-point seat belts. Another change was to the seat cover, because the base model parchment vinyl seat cover isn't repopped, I used a higher option style of seat cover. In the engine bay, I put in an HEI instead of the points distributor, internally regulated alternator, an aluminum radiator, and a radiator overflow tank.

I guess now the at I wrote it all out, it seems like a lot, but each change was made for a reason, mostly for safety, and reliability purposes.

I wanted original, but was willing to compromise originality where it made sense. I didn't touch my SPID, though, so anyone would know the stuff I changed was added

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

I say do what you like. A true purist willing to pay large for the right truck will demand more than just the shinny new SPID. Documentation is what purists pay for and make a high option truck worth more than a period correct clone. It's all in your intention.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #11
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

As an admitted purist I say no harm in correcting a "birth defect" from GM. Keep the original GB door/SPID for wall art and have a new GB door/SPID made and installed after the build.

Who will whine that an OEM tach cluster, OEM tilt column, limited slip differential, OEM FM radio etc was installed? Done correctly these additions are a plus IMO. My current Blazer build will have the tilt, tach, FM, and limited slip rear omitted by the original buyer

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 10-09-2017 at 12:08 AM.
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #12
FirstOwner69

I bought my truck off the lot in 1969. It was a high option CST 3/4 ton with buckets and A/C. About the only things it lacked were gauges and power brakes, but the dealer added power brakes as a condition of the sale.

I'm normally a purist. I restored my '58 Corvette to NCRS standards, and it received the NCRS Duntov and Bloomington Gold awards. When I restored the truck starting in 2010, I added options such as OEM gauges with tach, tilt wheel, and AM/FM. Of course, the tilt and AM/FM weren't available in 1969 but are correct for this generation. I also replaced the bed wood with fancy oak and the original 350 with a GM Vortec crate 350. I still have the original engine and all removed parts that will go with the truck when my heirs sell it.

I think the difference in the way I approached the 2 restorations was due to the fact that I'd owned the truck so long and just wanted it to be a bit more unique and enjoyable. All changes made could be fairly easily reversed by a new purist owner (but, other than perhaps the engine, I don't know why) using the original parts on hand.

I have been toying with the idea of having a new SPID made but would never consider replacing the original or misrepresenting the truck. It would, however, be cool to display the SPIDS side-by-side.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 10-09-2017 at 12:36 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:48 AM   #13
In The Ten Ring

No way would I touch my SPID. I see it as a "document" and changing that as "forgery."

Although dad did pretty serious changes like the all steel bed and sides (1/8" welded all round), power steering and brakes, I have no custom plans that are hard to revert back from.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #14
72chevynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
As an admitted purist I say no harm in correcting a "birth defect" from GM. Keep the original GB door/SPID for wall art and have a new GB door/SPID made and installed after the build.

Who will whine that an OEM tach cluster, OEM tilt column, limited slip differential, OEM FM radio etc was installed? Done correctly these additions are a plus IMO. My current Blazer build will have the tilt, tach, FM, and limited slip rear omitted by the original buyer
I agree with you DeadheadNM.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:28 AM   #15
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Nothing pure about adding what wasn't there. Do what you want to your own truck but be honest about what it is if selling. To some, it's a plus to have all the bells and whistles even if they aren't original. But a purist will want it as built. I don't think it's a purest thing, it's a true collector thing. A truck that actually came with all the goodies, or a unique combination of, is a stand out truck compared to one that had it added. I think there are fewer who would be honest about the changes than those with the level of integrity to disclose. We see it all the time on Ebay.
X's 2.

Its your truck so do what you will but be honest.

If those additional options are available from another truck then that would be the truck to restore or maintain origonal.

the SPID does not tell the whole story but there is a line that , when you cross it, everything changes.

heres another conundrum... My 68K20 has 13K miles on it. It came with those california mirrors, I dont like them so I took them off. They were not on the SPID. so have I harmed the value? Am I dishonest.. It has aftermarket AC and dual tanks so its not origonal but everything was installed when it was new. who and when was a line crossed?
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #16
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post

Pete, that’s exactly what I was trying to say. You articulated it perfectly!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #17
custom10nut

Another conundrum.
I'm a purist in the the sense that if I did any changes or upgrades, only factory parts were used.
Upgrades I've made are: tach, tilt, PS,PB, and '70 bucket seats.
I've rebuilt the whole drivetrain, but dressed up the engine just a little.
Ride height is staying stock, but I run aftermarket wheels/tires.
Keep the original SPID, because yes, this is the way the truck left the dealer.
Have a new SPID made, but annotate the upgrades.
If you were to sell, those who know will appreciate the effort.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #18
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I was thinking, how bout if you have a new SPID made, like I said because the old one is hypothetically gone. You put an asterisk next to any factory options you added but weren't original to the truck. Down below you could have the little asterisk symbol and have a line that says something like *Not Original To This Truck. Or something along those lines. SPID would look cool, nice and new along with the rest of the truck and no deception.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I had a highly optioned Red Orange & White '72 K/20 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper just like Pete's I bought in '91 from California. It came with wood floor, aux fuel tank, tilt, tach, A/C, aux battery, no-spin, tow hooks, AM/FM, and on. I went out and acquired things it didn't have because I had so close to the ultimate truck...bucket seats/console, shoulder belts, n.o.s. bedside & tool box door, front posi, and even an A/C high hump clearance lamp cab for when I restored it. As time went by waiting to start the resto I came to realize it would be foolish to alter such a prime example of a K/20 from how it was built. I left it as built to retain it's true value...in more than dollars and cents. I just built another truck with all that. One that was not so special.

An original SPID represents the build sheet. An original SPID is a true document to how truck was built. A new SPID screams created truck, even if it is a copy of original.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #20
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I hate it when my SPID screams

I like this thread. Like seeing everyone's thought process

Old 10-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #21
bigdog55

When i bought my GMC it had a spid that didn't belong to the truck. I will build it with period correct parts.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #22
leddzepp

A SPID is nothing more than a silly sticker, I say do whatever you want to a 50 year old truck. A new spid can be made to reflect the additions if it’s that important to a person.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #23
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

I say add whatever you want, but I’m not a fan of adding to the SPID. My reasoning is that you may be honest when you sell the truck but who knows what’ll happen 10 years down the road after a few sellers.

I would rather not have an SPID than an altered one , but I do like the asterisk idea, so you have all the options on there, but it’s clear that they aren’t factory.

I like this for mine:

6BTA Cummins Engine System*
NV5600 Six Speed Manual Transmission*

*Accessories installed after OEM delivery*
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
CastIron

I can appreciate a pure restoration, but I also think that in some cases keeping a truck 100% original makes it less enjoyable to drive. My 69 C1500 didn't have power steering or a sway bar from the factory, but it does now. It doesn't have power disc brakes, A/C, or carpet, but it may eventually get all of those things. I do keep any original parts I take off my truck, and I try not to make any modifications that permanently change anything.
I think that a correct restoration is fine if you plan on taking it to shows or not driving it, but if you want a truck to drive it isn't important to keep it stock.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #25
72chevynut

Smile Re: Question for the purists

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I was thinking, how bout if you have a new SPID made, like I said because the old one is hypothetically gone. You put an asterisk next to any factory options you added but weren't original to the truck. Down below you could have the little asterisk symbol and have a line that says something like *Not Original To This Truck. Or something along those lines. SPID would look cool, nice and new along with the rest of the truck and no deception.
These trucks have been popular and sought after since new. A lot of the parts will easily swap out with no evidence and has been done through the past 45 plus years. How would you know if it was a added option if the original SPID was gone? Then on the other hand, GM dealerships may have swapped the parts to make a sell, causing a SPID not to match anyway. I just witnessed this on a new truck I purchased recently.
I do keep the original glove box lid with SPIDs set aside for my builds that get new SPIDs. If it doesn't have the original SPID, then the value should drop. My original SPIDs are readily available and offered to any potential buyer to look at when I'm selling. I don't care telling the truth and I'll explain why. I myself prefer the K models, GM didn't make many 4x4's during these years especially high optioned ones. In the 500 mile radius around me, I've only found one true factory high optioned 4x4 truck in the past thirty five years of buying/restoring 68-72 4x4's. It had been brought in from the west coast and was a "left for dead" theft recovered one. It was missing the 350V8 engine, factory buckets/console, tilt and tach dash (stolen). I'm sure those parts ended up in someone's 2WD Super Cheyenne build somewhere years ago. Obviously they wasn't building a 4x4, because of all those awesome factory 4WD parts were still in place. With that being said, the purist in me is okay with taking a factory 68-72 K series (4x4) truck, restoring it back with some added factory correct options, using factory year correct OEM parts then add matching SPID. If it's done correctly, your parts store will never know the differ.

I know there are people that will argue my opinion on here and that's okay, I get it and understand their side too. I just enjoying building them with those hard to find factory options, then driving and enjoying! No need to lie or be misleading, buyers are there for them all! These trucks are loved in any shape or form!!