The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #176
Oly72C20

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

That's looking great Gas! Glad you found a straight fender! I can't wait to see how the new pieces fit in for you!
Oly72C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #177
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More metal carnage!

The inner rocker and the rest of the cab floor was cut out yesterday. Whoever was in charge of spot welding these cabs together needs to throat punched HA! Just when you think you gat them all, there will be 9 more in a 1" space to hold 2 panels together.

Anyhoo... I cut the rear cab corner off as well. The rear cab support was pretty much shot so I cut it off and fabbed up a new piece and welded it on. Hit the whole shebang with Rust-mort and let it dry overnight. Will shoot some primer over it all later today and see about fitting some new metal!

My stepson has been a big help (that's him in one of the pics using a cutoff wheel) as these almost 50 year old knees and back don't care for too much of working on the floor. Also I have Livrat on speed dial, and he has been of great help to walk me through this whole process! Thanks Mark!

And again, thanks to all of you who have posted up in this thread! I appreciate it all! Creeping Death will ride again!

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 06-25-2016 at 01:21 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #178
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Awaiting primer and new metal!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #179
Low Elco

Progress!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #180
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Got the outer floor extension mocked up and made a mistake on the measurement of the area that meets the pinch weld in the toe-boards. I cut it just a little short...

So I'll have to cut a small chunk to weld into that small gap. Oops!

I have the outer cab extension marked from below as I scored a line along the cut out area. If that makes sense. But I'm going to add a 1/4" to that scribe mark so I don't cut it too short as well.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #181
Average Joe

Im glad you decided to fix the 'ol girl. Your work looks great!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #182
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Me too! I can't imagine not having this rig. Even though the only original parts to the truck are the cab, bed, passenger front fender, engine and transmission.

Got the outer cab floor extension all cut and clamped in ready to weld. Working swings this week so I ran out of time to start the 348,000 tack welds on the panel. So will start that tomorrow morning.

However, I might just hang the door first to ensure that the rear pillar is not wonky so everything still lines up.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #183
swamp rat

Yes hang the door and check it, but nothing wrong with a few strategicly placed spots before mounting.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #184
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Starting the tack weld madness today until I ran out of wire in my MIG.

Anyways, I got quite a bit of it welded in, and there is also a shot of the inner rocker being held up to the new metal to see how rotted out it was.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #185
cericd

Great to see you making progress. I assume you'll be painting the new panels to match the old (instead of a color change). One of my favorite color combos on this site.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #186
swamp rat

Your son and you mist be pulling double shifts on them spot welds, I cant get nothing welded that fast, but i get about 2-3 hours a day average.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-29-2016, 10:57 PM   #187
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Great to see you making progress. I assume you'll be painting the new panels to match the old (instead of a color change). One of my favorite color combos on this site.
When this truck does finally get a coat of paint it will be the stock Medium Green and black top again. One of the main reasons I bought the truck was because of the color. And the 4 headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Your son and you mist be pulling double shifts on them spot welds, I cant get nothing welded that fast, but i get about 2-3 hours a day average.
It went quicker than I thought it would. Even took my time and let the metal cool after a round of tacks. I still have a lot more to tacking to do, and I also have to do some "rework" to the rear cab floor area as this is the one spot where the patch panel didn't fit the best. Actually it's the only place that has to be modified on the whole panel so far. This is a really nice piece of metal to work with.

However I do think that when they stamp these panels they should just not even punch out the holes for the cab supports to bolt to. The holes are no where near close to lining up with the holes in the stock cab supports. They should just leave them blank with no holes so you can mark and drill your own. You can see in the one pic where I had to hog out the holes quite a bit on the front support.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #188
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind...

Almost have the outer cab floor extension welded all the way in. Have some more welding to do towards the rear that is behind the cab corner by the seatbelt mounting hole.

I refabricated the rear section of the cab floor by making 2 separate small pie cuts and then hammering the corner how I wanted it. The patch panel doesn't meet up correctly at the rear cab mount so some "massaging" is in order. That rear floor part and the cab support holes are about the only things that are "wrong" with this patch panel.

It is a really nice option to have this entire outer floor section instead of just the inner rocker and a bunch of hand formed metal pieces to fit the other spots. I would definitely recommend spending the 70 bucks on this panel if you are in need of inner rockers along with an outer rusty floor. Here is where I got mine... http://www.dreamershotrods.com/outer...dgmctruck.aspx Dreamers Rods and Trucks in Everett, WA is the closest place for me to drive to for parts.

Welp... back to more welding, grinding, weld, grind, weld, grind...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #189
Skip44

I just finished reading your thread and I also am glad your rebuilding. It looks good and the time spent will be worth it in the end. Although I suspect that these trucks like Jeeps are never done.

Skip
Skip44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #190
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Skip... I agree... this truck will probably never be "done".

I finally got ALL the welding done on the outer cab floor extension today before swing shift.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #191
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More metal thrashing to day.

Cut a hunk out of the bashed up hood to make a floor pan patch panel.

Got more grinding to do, as well as a few more welds. Also have to fab up a small strip to weld into the area where I came up short on the outer cab extension.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #192
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Also... I forgot to post earlier...

I don't normally preach to anybody about safety and PPE. But I had never used a face shield while grinding or cutting with a wheel until I started this part of my project. My wife got me a face shield for my birthday and it just save my face and possibly my right eye.

Was trying to get a cutoff wheel into a tight area in the toe boards. The wheel grabbed metal and came apart. Shrapnel hit the face shield and also my left shoulder. The Carhartt "Detroit" jacket I was wearing kept anything from embedding into my skin. I do wear safety glasses as well as the face shield. But you can tell from the pic that the face shield got whacked pretty good. Even for a glancing shot.

So... wear them face shields! Today this one saved my butt. Err... face as it were.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #193
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Welded in the kick panel today. I will finish that small patch in the toe board and do the final welds and grinding of the floor tomorrow. Then hopefully I have enough time to get the new pillar welded in.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #194
Stuntmonkey

Definitely wear those face shields guys! In fact go for double eye protection, safety glasses and the shield. It's mandatory for all my guys and if you're caught not wearing one it'll get you skidded off site faster than you can get your coveralls off.
Stuntmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #195
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Hung the passenger side door today to check alignment before I start the cab corner and the front pillar. I bolted it up on the exact marks I made before I disassembled the cab and I was nicely surprised that the gaps all line up great!

I never braced the cab at all when I cut into it, but made marks with sharpie pens all over the place and took lots of measurements.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #196
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

So I also hung the passenger side fender to make sure everything lined up with the lower pillar repair before I welded it up. Gotta admit it was kinda cool to actually see the fender and door on it at the same time.

Lower pillar repair turned out better than I expected.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #197
swamp rat

Good job!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #198
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks Swampy!

I got the cab corner in yesterday and it proved to be a challenge. The patch panel isn't even close to being useable without modification. The body lines don't line up at all and the rounded area tends to be a little flat towards the door area. So with some tweaking and grinding I got it to line up to what is useable to me. The lower edge that goes across the back of the cab isn't correct so I'm glad the bed will hide that, because getting it to line up at all is kinda hard.

Now all I have left is the outer rocker, and I'm figuring out what I need to cut, grind, and modify to get it to fit right. My door fitment is a pain in the a$$, but I think they are for everyone. But I'll slug this out in the next couple of days so I can get started on the drivers side.

Oh, and the pic of the floor is from all the metal I ground off of the welds. It is amazing to me how much comes off after you weld it on.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by GASoline71; 07-17-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #199
Average Joe

Lookin good! You are making quick work of this.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #200
OutlawM92

Keep up the awesome work man, she's starting to look real good!
is far better than a perfect plan executed next week.
Accept the challenges, so that you may feel
the exhilaration of victory."
OutlawM92 is offline   Reply With Quote