The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
FAKKY

fuel tank ideas

I need a fuel tank thats smaller than these dimensions ..... (current) but can fit in the stock location along passenger side of frame.

49"(l)x11"(w)x8"(d)

any ideas ?

The most critical measurement is the 11" wide .... Ideally need it less wide ...
but if its 11" then probably shorter will have to be also.

This is to work around the offset 8.8" rear ..... but to keep the tank in stock location so I can keep sapre in rear underneath. Driveshaft fitment.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
FAKKY

Re: fuel tank ideas

Maybe something like

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd78.htm

or

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd128.htm
Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
MiraclePieCo

You can have one custom built to your dimensions for a reasonable price. I've used Ron Pope Motorsports several times with stellar results: 865-932-7541 He can also be found on Facebook under eztbucket and on Ebay as tbucket-parts-4u
Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
You can have one custom built to your dimensions for a reasonable price. I've used Ron Pope Motorsports several times with stellar results: 865-932-7541 He can also be found on Facebook under eztbucket and on Ebay as tbucket-parts-4u
Thanks !
I gave him an email to see what that would cost.
In absence of a better idea - think Im going to go with

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd128.htm

and their intank sender and pump.

I think the 15" short tank should give me the clearance at rear.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
FAKKY

Thoughts/feelings on plastic/poly tanks ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-Rage...-/382524029609
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
FYI - he was very reasonable on price and going this route would give me an extra 4 gallons also ....... so ... might do that. Appreciated.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
mr48chev

Not a big fan of Poly tanks but most full size Dodge Vans in the late 80's use one. Too big for your use though.

Welding shops make fuel tanks for trucks all the time or at least they do around here. I've got three of them out here plus a fourth that was made to give an 89 ElCamino a 40 something gallon fuel capacity that I cut up. That was in a truck that had belonged to a guy who traveled between Arizona and Southern California on a regulars basis as the receipt for building the tank was still in the glove box and he had receipts from AZ and Cali in the glove box with it. I figured that guy was slipping over to Mexico to buy cheap gas at the time or at least picking stations with cheaper gas.
The other tanks are a dealer installed "extra" tank that was installed in 67/72 Chev pickups and two tanks that go in the front of the truck bed to increase the capacity.

AfterI pulled the stock tank out I'd snag a furniture box or fridge box (big cardboard) and measure and form up a cardboard tank that I could fit and try in the spot. Once you get it the size and shape you want that fits the way you want, mark where the filler goes and where you want the sender placed and take that to the metal shop. That way you know your measurements are right and have it figured out how you can mount it. You can have tabs welded on to mount it if needed.

The other option is to either search though listings for mini truck gas tanks online or crawl under mini trucks at pick a part to see what you can find that is close but a lot of those older smaller trucks had real small tanks. Not much fun on a road trip with a truck that gets 16 mpg that has a ten gallon tank. I've been there and done that.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Not a big fan of Poly tanks but most full size Dodge Vans in the late 80's use one. Too big for your use though.

Welding shops make fuel tanks for trucks all the time or at least they do around here. I've got three of them out here plus a fourth that was made to give an 89 ElCamino a 40 something gallon fuel capacity that I cut up. That was in a truck that had belonged to a guy who traveled between Arizona and Southern California on a regulars basis as the receipt for building the tank was still in the glove box and he had receipts from AZ and Cali in the glove box with it. I figured that guy was slipping over to Mexico to buy cheap gas at the time or at least picking stations with cheaper gas.
The other tanks are a dealer installed "extra" tank that was installed in 67/72 Chev pickups and two tanks that go in the front of the truck bed to increase the capacity.

AfterI pulled the stock tank out I'd snag a furniture box or fridge box (big cardboard) and measure and form up a cardboard tank that I could fit and try in the spot. Once you get it the size and shape you want that fits the way you want, mark where the filler goes and where you want the sender placed and take that to the metal shop. That way you know your measurements are right and have it figured out how you can mount it. You can have tabs welded on to mount it if needed.

The other option is to either search though listings for mini truck gas tanks online or crawl under mini trucks at pick a part to see what you can find that is close but a lot of those older smaller trucks had real small tanks. Not much fun on a road trip with a truck that gets 16 mpg that has a ten gallon tank. I've been there and done that.
Thanks yeah I was planning on putting 3" pvc tube between output and rear flange to see clearance and buld a couple 10x10 and 12x12 squares to see clearance better.

From there decide if I can make it with an off the shelf ...... but I *think* if I want to go for a larger 20gallon tank AND make it fit Im going to have to go custom made.
Was $400 for the steel one ...... which is ok ....... just not sure on steel. Am sure its fine but it might sit there for 6 months before I use it.

Aluminium I dont have a quote but looks closer to $600+