The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
jumbo

help me start my burb! Please :D

Picked up my 89 burb this weekend from the 2nd shop that's had it (it's actually a new one, the one i bought done for $4500 was too far gone and got scrapped) but it was not close to being done. I was supposed to pick it up in April completely done, i picked it up 9 months later and he fabbed half the floor and almost all the dash mounts when we got there

Anyway, he said it ran before but blew out the freeze plug and now it won't start. It cranks fine, but won't even try to catch. It's getting gas, timing seems ok, what else could it be?
jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Psycho71

Re: help me start my burb! Please :D

Three things the internal combustion engine needs to run; Fuel, Ignition, and Compression. All at the proper time of course. If you are confident about the fuel and fire, the only thing left would be the compression.

Sorry to over simplify, but not a lot of info to go on in you inquiry.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
jumbo

sorry, i didn't get to go into much detail. Looks like it's getting fuel (the injectors were squirting gas in the throttle body), compression seems pretty good, but when we grounded the spark plug against the header, it wouldn't spark every time, only like every 3rd or 4th time. We didn't know if we just were not grounding it properly or it was something in the rotor, cap, distributor, or coil. We took the cap and rotor apart and cleaned it really good (the wheel in the rotor was pretty rusty), had the ignition module tested, but are still drawing a blank. I'm not very knowledgeable about motors, but the only other things i can think of are the coil, fuel filter (it sat about a year before being started, the guy may not have thought to change the fuel filter), make sure it has gas (but idk why it would not because we're getting fuel squirted in the tb). Anything else it may be?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Bones_GSXR

try the electronic controller (I don't remember its name) under the HEI distributor cap. Mine was bad and did the same thing.
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
jumbo

had it tested and it's fine.