The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Disturbed

Help With Suspension Ideas

I am rebuilding a 67 stepside shortbox. Currently frame is in getting powder coated. Starting the complete rebuild in the next couple of weeks. I will be changing rear end to a 12 bolt posi but I'm not sure what to do about the suspension. It seems you guys have seen about everything so I thought I would pick your brains. This truck will have a true 427 bb with a 400 th trans so I am a little worried about getting a good hookup as well as a nice ride. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks Disturbed
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
69gmcc10

Re: Help With Suspension Ideas

Can you tell us any more about what you were thinking? Do you want to be stock height, a little lower, slammed to the ground? What is your budget? Do you want to go fast in a strait line or do you want to carve turns?
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Disturbed

I would like a small drop front and rear say maybe 2 front 3 rear. I plan to drive this truck alot so it will not be a straight line 1/4 mile truck. I have had people tell me to go with a 4 link others say just throw some leaf springs under it and move on. I don't want to break the bank but this is a truck I'm building to keep for myself so I would like something nice but dependable. Also looking to do the front end. I have looked at a lot of things out there that people have done but have seen some pretty funky builds hence why I decided to talk to the guys that have seen and heard it all. So far all the advice I have gotten from everyone on here has been great and has really saved me time and lots of headaches. Thanks Disturbed
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
69gmcc10

4wd or 2wd?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
I would like a small drop front and rear say maybe 2 front 3 rear. I plan to drive this truck alot so it will not be a straight line 1/4 mile truck. I have had people tell me to go with a 4 link others say just throw some leaf springs under it and move on. I don't want to break the bank but this is a truck I'm building to keep for myself so I would like something nice but dependable. Also looking to do the front end. I have looked at a lot of things out there that people have done but have seen some pretty funky builds hence why I decided to talk to the guys that have seen and heard it all. So far all the advice I have gotten from everyone on here has been great and has really saved me time and lots of headaches. Thanks Disturbed
I would never ditch the rear arms/coils for leafs.

Alot of trucks out there running really fast on stock rear suspension.

maybe do a 3" front coil and a 4" rear.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Disturbed

Sorry Guys. It's a 2 wheel drive. Disturbed
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
69gmcc10

I just wanted to make sure. The trailing arm system on these trucks is great for hooking up and ride quality; it is also very affordable to lower and install in the trucks that didn’t come equipped with them. I personally would lower the rear 2” with lowering blocks (blocks and springs are cheep) and a 1" lowering spring. On the front you can cut 1 coil off and get about 2” of drop for the price of blood and sweat, it will also firm up the suspension just a little. Go get a 1 ton sway bar out of the junk yard and bolt it up with some poly bushings. Easy and cheap!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
andrewmp6

I would leave it trailing arms i seen kits that put a air bag inside a coil spring that will stiffen it up.With a kit like that you could air up the bag to get the traction you need and let the air out when you want a smoother ride.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Disturbed

Thanks guys for the advice. I think keeping it simple seems to be the way to go. I have never done a truck before so this is all new territory for me. Disturbed
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
69gmcc10

let us know what you decide and how it goes. Pictures are always good also.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Disturbed

I will defiantly keep you guys posted. I need to figure out how to pay for my subscription before I can post pics. I was one of the fortunate ones (hah hah) that had someone access my paypal account fraudulently and screw everything up so I may have to just send in a check or something. I really like this site and am getting lots of help from you guys so thank you all. Disturbed