The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Red face tach cluster install

o.k. square body guru's here goes--- a few years back i purchased a complete tach cluster to install in my 77 blazer. after it arrived i found it had an electric oil pressure guage instead of a manual guage so i never installed it. fast forward a couple years and the blazer is gone BUT i have an 80 K20 with an electric oil pressure guage. here's my question, are these clusters plug and play like the 67-72 clusters or are the wires arranged differently in the plug from a tach to non tach cluster ? i know it needs a seperate tach harness, which i have but i do not want to open a can of worms trying to rearrange the wires in the trucks factory plug. i hope this makes sense since i'm like a one legged guy at an ass kicking when it comes to wiring.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: tach cluster install

Yes, for the swap you have planned, it should be plug & play.

There are pin-out differences if you are going from a warning light cluster to a gauge cluster (with or without tach). And there are pin-out differences when you get into the earlier year clusters with the mechanical oil gauges, ammeters, and such.

But in your case, it should be a direct plug-in swap. The printed circuit on the back of the tach cluster will take care of the re-located fuel gauge. And as you already know, the tach has it's own wiring harness.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: tach cluster install

thank you very much, now i have another project to take care of.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote