The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Hide tank filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I recall seeing the video years ago, it was an issue in a side impact or sideswipe collisions. The filler neck would tear out and fuel "spray" would fill the cab. One errant spark and you're in a world of hurt, being burned to death would be a horrible way to go.
Yup, that's the one. Old, old black and white video of a test done somewhere showing the gas - or whatever they used as test media - spraying around the cab in slow motion. There was no Federal Safety agency then (I think). Anyway, yeah....BAAD outcomes.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #27
mr48chev

I'm no fan of the filler behind the license plate as I had a couple of cars with those back when and every time you fill the tank and park on a bit of an uphill angle gas runs out if you have a vented cap and those tanks all used vented caps.
I buy a lot of stainless pieces from this outfit for my sailboat because they have good prices and the parts are pretty nice.
If you scroll down the page to the fuel fillers they have flush mount stainless deck fill gas fillers for a reasonable price . Be careful because some read Petrol/gas some read diesel, some read water and some read waste. The hot rod shops that sell the want twice as much for the same thing. http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststcl2.html

That outfit also has some nice stainless cabinet hardware if anyone is thinking about building a wood "tool box" to go at the front of the bed and needs hardware.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:55 AM   #28
Matt_50

Not bad on prices for those flush mounts. I've never relocated a tank before so I'm still wondering what's my best bet. I see a lot of mustang and camaro tanks for these. Mustang search pulls up issues for the sender and gauges.

If I buy a camaro tank..

My engine is carburetor, mechanical pump, v8 350 stock.

I would need to make straps and move or add crossmembers..

What kind of tank? I'm seeing there are different kinds, edu or not I'm guessing.

What sender and neck are needed for flush kit?

Are there any good guides on installing one?
Matt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #29
Dave0

I used a 01 camaro tank and pump. I ran the filler up to the top of the rear fender. No reason you couldn't weld a fuel filler pocket from something in the fender...
Attached Images

Dave0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #30
Russell Ashley

I know for sure that you can use your mechanical fuel pump with a rear tank as that's what I have now. I know of another TF with the same setup and no problems. I never liked the idea of the flush mounted filler in the bed as it seems like it would be almost impossible to never spill some gas in the bed
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #31
Matt_50

I think I could maybe live with the bed fill... not sure I want to add a door in a fender or bedside.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #32
Speedbumpauto

Hagan makes lots of gas tank doors with different curves in the outside metal/door. Not too tough to install and they are small. Come with a cap that seals but doesn't have to be removed to fill. here are shots of mine before it was complete and a couple showing the plumbing for ideas even though it's a TF. I used a Tanks unit but don't see why some factory tank wouldn't work, especially if it's not EFI. Tanks just makes it simple.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #33
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

If you use a mustang tank you do want the Tanks Inc EFI tank not the original type.

EFI tank has the top side sender and a choice of sender ohms, pump or pickup install and a fuel tray to prevent starvation on acceleration and no openings on the bottom.

Original tank has the bottom front opening where the pickup and sender go in and you must use a ford unit and your stuck with a 5/16 gas line outlet and then convert the gages to 73-10 ohm and none of the EFI tank benefits. if you're using aftermarket gages its not a big deal. if your using stock 30 ohm gages its a hassle.

Many have used the original style tank with success but its more work that its worth in my opinion.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #34
Matt_50

I'm really surprised with the lack of people why say a cab tank is ok. I had thought to clean my tank and see, worst case spend money on a new and i might as well get a rear one.

I'm not using factory gauges. Took mine apart and used the faces on different ones. I could probably do that to a Ford gauge...but what about the wiring. Isn't Ford different?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #35
Speedbumpauto

"I'm really surprised with the lack of people why say a cab tank is ok."

I'm way old and have owned at least 2 trucks that had cab tanks. You never REALLY get rid of the gas smell, let alone the safety idea. You can make the upper mounts out of 1/2" pipe and lots of people sell the universal straps. With the bed off, which most of us end up doing anyway, it's easy to fab up. To borrow the sports phrase,...."just do it!"
Old 09-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #36
Matt_50

Yea my bed is off right not due to swapping the axle and leafspring bushings. Now would be a perfect time.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #37
Matt_50

Maybe this weekend I'll have the tank cleaned up. Use it or sell it. If I sell I can't make up my mind for a mustang or camaro tank.

Side note. I'll probably start another thread. I need to figure out what wiring harness to use. My donor truck is gonna be hauled off soon after i yank the engine and ive decided im not sure i wabt to try and use the wiring harness from it. It is from 84 and its got so many extra wires.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #38
Russell Ashley

I have a Tanks-Inc aluminum tank with a 0-90 ohm sending unit and a Classic Instruments "Fuel-Link" to match it to my original gauge. So far it seems to be accurate but I have only put gas in the tank once. Will take some time and more driving to get a feeling for how accurate it is. My son asked me where I wanted the fuel door and I told him to put it where it was the easiest on him, so he put it on the side. You push it and it pops open, and it's not necessary to take the cap off. I like it.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #39
dew468

Mine is a fleetside 59 but I made something a little different. imagination can go a long way.
Attached Images

dew468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #40
Speedbumpauto

Pretty slick!!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #41
52mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
Would a mustang tank be my best option as far as install and for? No straps or cradle to hold it?
Matt, I used a 66 chevelle tank on my 54 with stock straps that worked out ok, on my 52 here I used a 69 camaro tank, a little smaller, but had a lot more differential clearance. Stock straps bolted to existing crossmember, and I added 1" sq. tubing for crossmember at the back. I lost install pictures, sorry. I use the standard non vented cap with no issues just open slow like in the old days. There should be a couple of pics.
Attached Images

52mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #42
dew468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
Pretty slick!!
I got a lot of flack about cutting a fleetside bed. Like I told them, it's metal and can be welded back. Thanks for the compliment.
dew468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #43
R&B51

Kind of heading off subject but related when considering some of these prepackaged ideas (I like pop open door and modern push through seal door). Link on gas tank safety I found worth reading:

http://www.autosafetyexpert.com/defect_fueltank.php

Tanks inside frame and in front of rear axle with filler tube that stays with tank/pulls away, has valve that stays with tube, inertia switch on fuel line...keeping that high octane 100% gas in its place...
I'll try to make it happen on this truck I'm building for my son.
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #44
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew468 View Post
Mine is a fleetside 59 but I made something a little different. imagination can go a long way.
Very nice...A beautiful job. If I had a Fleetside I would probably try to copy that.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #45
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Hey guys, what kind of things have y'all done to hide the filler for your under bed gas tanks? This truck will be mostly for puttering around town but I would like to not have the fill up coming up through the bed.

Mines a 1950 3100.

Possible to hide behind license plate?
You may not have the angle high enough to fill your truck mounting the gas filler behind the plates, so here's an option. this may not work on a 50 Truck, but I've mounted my gas filler cap in the side of the passenger fender. I went to the local Harley dealership and bought a push in/pop out cycle gas cap. It's a flush mount as well. Works great and is far from the norm, as you can tell. If you have any questions, let me know.
Attached Images

my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #46
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
You may not have the angle high enough to fill your truck mounting the gas filler behind the plates, so here's an option. this may not work on a 50 Truck, but I've mounted my gas filler cap in the side of the passenger fender. I went to the local Harley dealership and bought a push in/pop out cycle gas cap. It's a flush mount as well. Works great and is far from the norm, as you can tell. If you have any questions, let me know.
I would really like to see how you did this. After reading through this I am going to try to relocate my tank and this filler looks like a good option.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #47
vintovka

Along with this subject comes the question of how to control venting and gas smell. Mine has no vent but cap and has always stunk a bit and interested to hear how others have vented rear mounted tanks with fillers thru fenders or rear.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #48
idbeast

I did the speedbumpauto one but didn't like it once I got it installed so I removed it and did this one, just don't have it on the truck yet. It was donated by a 89 Ford Windstar van which has the same reverse radius that portion of the fender and was within 1/8" top and bottom on the fit.
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #49
solidaxel

Quote:
What about if you get rear ended?
Viva la Pinto !!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #50
solidaxel

I should have painted it when I had the chance !
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote