The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #201
Shucks

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

Looks real good! Can't wait to hear how the EFI works

Check out my build thread!
Shucks First Build
Shucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #202
Nick_R_23

Thanks! I'm excited too, it's taking too long at this final part!

So I got my driveshaft in today thinking that this was the final piece of the puzzle, that I could bolt it in, top off the trans, and fire it up. But when I went to mount the driveshaft to the axle, I couldn't get it to slide forward enough to come even close to getting the U-joint to make with the axle - the driveshaft was made too long! I called the shop and we verified that the specs and measurements given were correct, so I'm not sure what happened. But, they are willing to fix it for me if I drop it back off, so I'll be happy with that! I think between 3/4" to 1" shorter would be perfect. Unfortunately, with the time from dropping it off and picking it back up may leave me with limited time to actually mount and then be able to test fire this thing before I leave on my trip. Hopefully I can, but if not, I will have to leave you all as well as myself in suspense for two weeks!

Here is the yoke fully bottomed out in the transmission (note the mark)

And here is the yoke laid near the transmission with the U-joint seated in the axle (note mark again). There is some free area, but it is maybe 3/16" at most. Not good.

And here is the yoke bottomed out in the transmission, then pulled out 1" at proper free length setting. The U-joint sits almost perfectly 1" further back from the rear axle yoke.

I will be dropping this off extremely early Wednesday morning in hopes that this will be done in time before I go!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:43 AM   #203
Nick_R_23

I'll just leave this here

Video of it running! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yWL7IucV2E

Old 04-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #204
Nick_R_23

Woohoo, so everything last night went pretty smoothly. Picked up my driveshaft, fit great this time. Topped off the trans, installed my new battery hold down clamp, primed the fuel pump a few times, hit the key and she fired right up without even a hint of hesitation! I let it run for about 15 minutes up to temp while keeping an eye on the trans fluid level. While I didn't get to drive it, the trans engaged into all gears and felt solid. The exhaust sounds great! It has a nice rumble and while it is obviously far from stock, is thankfully just quiet enough where it shouldn't wear on me during long drives.

I've unfortunately ran out of time before my 2 week trip down to Texas, as I'm leaving right after work tonight. But there's minimal things left to do to drive her! I still need to set the timing and phase the rotor, pick up an air filter, the air cleaner looks like it'll barely clear the linkage so I'll be picking up a 1" spacer for safety. Other than that, I just need to renew the registration and take it on a drive! Please check out the running video, I'll be trying to get a driving and maybe a walk around video here in the coming weeks!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #205
rusty76

Glad to see things working out. Have a safe trip.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #206
Nick_R_23

Thank you! I'll keep you guys updated. Any more thoughts on the build so far, good or bad are appreciated!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:54 AM   #207
Smniekamp

She's sounding good man! I'm digging that last video!
Smniekamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #208
Nick_R_23

Thanks man!

Alright, I'm finally back from my Texas trip! That was a ton of fun, but I was dying to get back to my truck the entire time. Today was my only day before I go back to work tomorrow, so I got the last little bit done, got new tags and insurance and took her out on the road!

I had to go to town and pick up a new timing light as the old Sun timing gun died. It was older than I was! This one seemed to work well for a basic model.

I set the timing on the engine to match the targeted timing on the Sniper handheld, then went to work changing out the distributor cap to phase the rotor. You can also see the plastic intake spacer I picked up. The metal one I got didn't work at all, this one works but is pretty cheesy. I think I'll just end up making my own at some point.

The other new cap modified. Turns out it was nearly impossible to see here, so I ended up with another hole on the top.

I also picked up a new air filter and stuck the dual snorkel air cleaner on! I love the stockish but stealthy look it gives the engine bay. I'll take it back off and paint it when I make a new spacer.

Double checked all the fluids and backed it outside for the first time! My coolant sensor was leaking, I must have forgotten to torque it down the rest of the way. Tightened it back down and everything was fine!

Whoops.

And here's the first drive! Stopped over and visited a friend who has this pre-47 Chevy. It has an LS1, T56, 4 link rear end, and 15x8/15x10 wheels. It's fast!

Overall I'm pretty happy with the truck! There's still a handful of bugs and little things I want to finish on it. I did notice that on a hard turn, my wheels barely rubbed the control arms, so I'll be going back under to do a little clearancing there. It drives straight down the road but I'll take it in for an alignment just to be safe. One or both of the idler pulleys on the accessory drive needs to be replaced, it squeaks a bit.

The one big issue I was having is that I seem to be getting some detonation/spark knock when I get into the throttle a bit trying to accelerate on the highway. Just starting off, up to about 15%+ throttle it is fine. If I try and get into the throttle quickly about 20% or more, it rattles and acts like the engine lugs. If I shift out of OD into D, it revs the engine right back up and doesn't rattle anymore, but if I stop and start moving again, even in D the rattle can come back. If I ease through the throttle I won't get the knock, it just seems to be right when it gets into load. The Overdrive seems like it needs some tuning as well, I'm not sure what I'll need to do yet, but it seems to shift in a little early at times. I'd basically rather keep it out of OD until I'm cruising. I'm running 32* timing but I'm going to check with Holley to see if there's some addition ignition tuning I can do. For now though, I'm happy to have been able to drive it after this much time! It's gotten tons of looks even just the few miles I put on it!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #209
Nick_R_23

So I thought I'd throw a little update in here on how the truck has been coming. Unfortunately, I haven't really been able to drive it much. Another member on here very graciously let me use his tune file since he had a nearly identical setup and it had been dyno tuned. He can make himself known if he so chooses. The updated tune file worked great! However, I'm now getting the dreaded RF interference which has been found out that the Sniper unit is not properly shielded from, and is picking up electrical noise from the MSD magnetic pickup distributor, and essentially shutting the ECU down while driving. There have been a few suggested temporary fixes on the forums, but mine is still having issues.

Apparently the fix for these symptoms is to purchase a $430 Holley Dual Sync distributor and $25 adapter harness (plus shipping!), which uses a hall effect sensor instead of the magnetic pickup. I'm pretty upset to find this out after spending over $350 for my current MSD distributor, extra rotor, and extra cap needed to run timing control on the Sniper system, especially after calling in to Holley and them verifying that all my part numbers I intended to run would be compatible with their system. This is also after a nearly 12 week wait time to even receive my unit, when I was quoted 6 weeks max at the time of my order. I called in to Holley about my issues and they are currently refusing to discount a Dual Sync after all this trouble. I don't feel that I should have to eat the $350 cost of my MSD system AND spend an additional nearly $500 to purchase and ship a Dual Sync to solve an issue that they are responsible for. As of right now, I'm very disappointed in their service and I would be hesitant to recommend this system to anyone. I'm sure with the new distributor and getting things dialed in the last bit that the system would work as expected, but Holley's lack of acknowledgement to their issues and unwillingness to help their customers will definitely make me reconsider purchasing from them in the future.

However, it's not all bad news! I'll fill you all in on another project that I've acquired in the meantime. It's a 1968 Chevelle Malibu that is almost completely original, including the selling dealer paperwork, protect-o-plate, and original owners manual. It came stock with a 307 and a Powerglide, however the block has been changed out at some point to a 305. It was last registered 17 years ago, however, with very minimal effort it now runs and drives! I'm planning on fixing the little things it needs and making it a daily driver to go back and forth to work with.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #210
spudz

I just read this whole thread. AWESOME WORK AND COOL TRUCK!!! I also love the chevelle. Id love to have it!!! I have a few chevelles and novas myself. One tip I wanted to share as far as putting a cam in that vortec engine. I use them quite often as I buy wrecked craigslist trucks all the time for donors. I just picked up a wrecked 02 yukon for 900, sold the 20in late model 20s for 1k . still have a good 5.3/4l60e for another project. ANYWAYS back to the vortec 350. I have run GMs got cam in them a few times. No need to pull the heads for machine work. You can buy a set of springs and modified retainers from Alex's parts for little over 100 bux. then you can run a cam with up to .550 lift with no machine work to the heads. they work great. I will share the link at the bottom. ALSO if you decide to upgrade lifters at the same time... DO NOT BUY FACTORY LIFTERS> get a set of ls7 lifters from gm performance parts catalog for about 100 bux. they work great!!!! here is the link to Alexs parts https://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spr...rf-hyd-roller/
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:19 AM   #211
Nick_R_23

Thanks! I really appreciate it! That's funny that you mention those retainers, I had a buddy point those exact ones out to me last week! I'll definitely keep them in mind for a future build, but as for this one, this engine rocks the truck pretty hard as it is, so I'm keeping it "stock" for now.

I did get a chance to swap out my coil/distributor setup for a conventional large cap HEI, which pretty much solved the interference issue the Sniper system is having. So I think I've pretty well verified that the Dual Sync will be the answer to my problems.

Anyway, since I'm on a standstill until I can get a Dual Sync coming in, here's some pics for you all to enjoy of the new wheels I picked up for my Camaro tonight!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #212
lowbrow454

Any updates on this? Have you been able to drive it this summer?
'77 K5 Blazer Chalet #0661 Build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776072
'79 K10 Bonanza
lowbrow454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #213
Nick_R_23

I did not get to drive the truck this summer. As stated above, Holley flat out lied to their customers about compatibility with the MSD distributor, and after submitting cases with them, they still deny that the issue is with their system, and have also refused to refund the money spent on the MSD parts that were purchased at their direction, or offer a discount on the Dual Sync distributor. The new distributor was also on backorder for quite a while as was the adapter harness required to make it plug and play. They are available now but this was supposed to be a budget build and I just haven't had the funds available to get the new setup. I probably will over the winter so I can have it ready for next year. Hopefully the system still works then, as the warranty will be long gone now and I doubt Holley will stand behind anything at this point. Very sad to experience this extremely poor service from a supposedly reputable company.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 AM   #214
lowbrow454

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping that the dual sync had come in and you had a chance to try it out. I have always liked Holley and was looking into this set up but your experience has made me reconsider.
'77 K5 Blazer Chalet #0661 Build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776072
'79 K10 Bonanza
lowbrow454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #215
LT7A

You've done a great job on this build. Can't hardly believe what it is compared to what you started with. I like the 'new' Chevelle too.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #216
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbrow454 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I was hoping that the dual sync had come in and you had a chance to try it out. I have always liked Holley and was looking into this set up but your experience has made me reconsider.
Looks like we're not out of the ball park yet...I sold the '67 Camaro over the weekend and went onto Summit to order up the Dual Sync as well as the last few parts for the truck and guess what? The Dual Sync is on back order....AGAIN!! This time until halfway through November, over a month and a half away! Holley really needs to step up their game, this entire EFI process has been nothing but headache and disappointment and endless wait times. Definitely should have just gone with a carb and saved close to $2,000 AND I would've been able to drive all summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
You've done a great job on this build. Can't hardly believe what it is compared to what you started with. I like the 'new' Chevelle too.
Thank you, it's much appreciated!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:44 PM   #217
Nick_R_23

Wow, I thought I'd never see this thing. Guess what finally showed up? At least I snagged it during the Holiday Sale (lol it's 2018 now...), along with the Demon throttle linkage adapter and the Holley EFI-to-Holley Distributor plug in adapter (seriously, Holley, you need an adapter for your OWN BRAND?!) Whatever, I'm glad it's here and hopefully everything works. I won't really be able to update until around springtime or when I get another truck out of my garage, as it's on dollies and pinned into the corner right now.

Also, total cost of the build so far. I know that I'll need a governor calibration kit for the 700r4, BUT I think this is about the last of the costs!

C10 cost sheet

Truck (Neighbor) ---------------$0
78 Hood ----------------------$40
78 Fender, driver --------------$75
3.42 Rear axle ---------------$150
Rally wheels 15x8 ------------$100
ECE Spindles 2.5" drop ------$350
Axle flip McGaughy ----------$126
Full Bushing kit E.S. ----------$188
Cooper 235/60R15 front ------$50
Rear axle brake line ------------$11
Cooper 275/60R15 rear ------$305
Parts truck 1986 longbed ---$1000
Sold 3.42 rear axle --------(-$150)
Sold 78 hood --------------(-$125)
Sold column/misc parts ---(-$140)
Sold 78 fender -------------(-$75)
Stock grille -------------------$20
Trade tach gauges for headers -$0
Sold 86 engine ------------(-$500)
Vortec/Carb intake ----------$220
Powdercoat wheels ----------$200
Mount/balance tires -----------$40
Headlight bezels --------------$25
Sold 86 longbed ----------(-$100)
Lower ball joints/brake lines --$100
Wheel bearings/seals/grease. $100
Front A-Arm bumpstops ------$20
Wheel spacers ----------------$44
Front brake lines --------------$25
Tail lights ---------------------$50
Front and rear shocks --------$195
Sold 86 tailgate/bumper --(-$350)
Sold 86 frame --------------(-$50)
99 Suburban for parts -------$500
Sold Vortec intake ----------(-$50)
Sold suburban trans ------(-$300)
255/60R15 Cooper tires -----$327
Sold dual tank kit ----------(-$100)
Sold sub grill/bumper/hood (-$250)
Sold sub door/mirror/heater(-$150)
Transgo shift kit --------------$115
Gaskets/seals/filter ----------$143
Sold sub t-case -----------(-$100)
Sold 86 tires --------------(-$500)
Trans parts install -----------$540
Radiator/cap, sensors, plugs -$226
Mufflers ---------------------$128
Thermostat/rad hose ----------$27
Water pump/lower hose -------$80
Coil ---------------------------$35
Sway bar brackets ------------$26
Spark plugs wires/trade labor --$0
MSD distributor -------------$225
MSD 84211 adj rotor ----------$40
Balancer cover ----------------$20
Sniper EFI kit ---------------$1105
Spark plug wire looms --------$67
Dual snorkel air cleaner ------$130
Wire separators/detent seal ---$17
Hydramat/hoses/fittings -----$447
TV cable/addl. fittings ---------$57
Fuel sending unit --------------$70
Wire separators ---------------$16
Exhaust kit/addl. fittings -----$232
Hydramat-hard line fitting -----$27
Exhaust parts ----------------$183
Fuel line clamps ----------------$5
Fuel ends, xtra cap, O2 bung -$125
Alt harness, coil clamp --------$23
Battery terminals, misc parts --$27
Fuel filler hose ----------------$35
Driveshaft -------------------$495
Carb spacer ------------------$41
Holley dist. harness —————$26
Demon throttle adapter -———$15
Holley Dual Sync ——————$399

$6467
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #218
pitterpat

I know this is an older thread but I just finished reading it. Hey GREAT JOB! The fubar with Holley was a downer....just bad customer service on them. Hope you got to drive it summer 2018. Or do you still have it?

I've got an 84 C20 I inherited from my dad, has a carb and will keep it carburated. I'm just going to clean it up some, it runs great but looks like a junker (my dad had $2500 put into the engine and tranny the summer b4 he died).
Just reading on here to get cheap ideas and proven things to do on it.
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #219
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterpat View Post
I know this is an older thread but I just finished reading it. Hey GREAT JOB! The fubar with Holley was a downer....just bad customer service on them. Hope you got to drive it summer 2018. Or do you still have it?

I've got an 84 C20 I inherited from my dad, has a carb and will keep it carburated. I'm just going to clean it up some, it runs great but looks like a junker (my dad had $2500 put into the engine and tranny the summer b4 he died).
Just reading on here to get cheap ideas and proven things to do on it.
Thank you! It's hard to believe that it's been over a year since I last posted in here...man how time flies!

I do still have the truck, although the Sniper/MSD experience with Holley left a bitter taste in my mouth and I lost motivation to work on it, so I parked it. My intention was to pick it back up this winter, but that plan fell through too.

Looking back through this thread, a lot has changed. The '67 Camaro and '68 Chevelle both ended up going to new homes, and there was even a '69 Camaro that came and went in that timeframe! (Along with many other cars.) I ended up going on a road trip with my dad back in May, down to Utah to pick up his new 29' enclosed trailer, and then down on to Georgia to pick up my Exocet kit car and a Miata donor car. Once we got back, I sold both my 4 wheelers and bought a new Polaris RZR 1000XP through work. THEN, I decided that it was a perfectly good time to gut the shop and do a COMPLETE down to studs remodel, which ended up going into the tail end of winter. I met an amazing woman during this craziness, who helped out in finishing the shop. We then took to building a pair of snowmachines together for the remainder of winter. The truck is still on the list and I have the parts to complete it waiting in a box, and once I get the shop cleaned out of everything else that is going on, I'll bring it back in and force myself to make the time to finish it up.

On your truck, it sounds like you've got a solid plan. Cheap and simple is good. If I had to do this over again, I would have gone with a quality carb and kept things simple and avoided the expense and headache. Not to say EFI conversions are off the table for me, but unless the engine is completely stock and can run off the factory EFI tune, I probably wouldn't go through the hassle for a summer-only street driven vehicle.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #220
Dads79GMC

Saving another C10...well done! Mike

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote