The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
Zachary17

C10 brake question

So i Need some help from you guys.my 82 needs new brakes and it has jb3 brakes on it but I want to upgrade to the bigger jb5 brakes.so my question is do I have to get new spindies to use the bigger rotors or can i use the ones I have? And do the drums use the same backing plates or do I have to swap them to?
Posted via Mobile Device
Zachary17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
D13

Re: C10 brake question

The JB5 uses the thick rotor (1-1/4" and appropriate spindle and dust shield. I recommend measuring your rotor as many of these trucks have had part swaps over the years.
In the rear you need bigger drums and backing plates. Often easier to get a whole rear and swap.
Master cylinder is different too.
They really don't change the braking much on an unloaded truck, will lock the rear up a little quicker. Real change is when loaded and under repeated braking.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Zachary17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
The JB5 uses the thick rotor (1-1/4" and appropriate spindle and dust shield. I recommend measuring your rotor as many of these trucks have had part swaps over the years.
In the rear you need bigger drums and backing plates. Often easier to get a whole rear and swap.
Master cylinder is different too.
They really don't change the braking much on an unloaded truck, will lock the rear up a little quicker. Real change is when loaded and under repeated braking.
Thanks D13
The front rotors are 1 inch thick and the drums are 11/2.the.the main reason I want to swap is the breaks I have now suck and I bought the bigger rotors drums and hardware.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zachary17 is offline   Reply With Quote