The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 01:02 PM   #1
CDA 455
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Question Long distance traveling in a '67-'72 suburban

Instead of ordering or buying a '17+ rig, I'm thinking of buying a restored '67-'72 Suburban.

I want to travel fulltime and tour North America with a reliable rig, but I'm really discouraged by post-covid production quality of trucks AND what the rig electronics is evolving into.

With the ability of an entity being able to 'upgrade' a rig's software like it was a smartphone sends up huge red flags for me.
In addition; the gov want to put electronic kill switches on all new vehicles starting in '26 sends up even more red flags.

All that being said; I would opinions/thoughts/suggestions on the idea of long distance traveling in a '67-'72 rig.

Basically; a K.I.S.S. kind of rig/manual everything:
1) Locking hubs
2) T-case
3) Full manual-shifting auto tranny
The only luxury would be A/C.

Good idea?
Bad idea?
Ugly idea?
Old Today, 05:25 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Long distance traveling in a '67-'72 suburban

-
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the newer vehicles too. We just bought a '15 Equinox for the wife and I don't like it at all. I still drive our old '05 Buick Rainier with the 5.3 V8.

Unfortunately, I sold my '69 Suburban before I got a chance to do what you are thinking. That was my plan when I built it, not as extensively as you are thinking but I have a daughter that lives in TX and my brother lives in GA so we were going to make s big circle from Iowa.

The Suburban had a 350 crate engine, and a 2004r automatic overdrive transmission. I built it, and I wouldn't have been afraid to drive it anywhere.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; Today at 05:40 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Long distance traveling in a '67-'72 suburban

Great idea! I've put over 50k on my Burban with very little trouble since I went through most everything after purchasing it. It's a 350/350 c10 with a Gearvendor with a Qjet parked on top.

Going to a newer Vortex or LS engine would get you better gasket sealing and MPG with minimal exposure to annoying electronics. Especially if you ran a carburetor.

Back in a previous life I lived in Coeur D'Alene and my daily then was a GTO.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote