The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2019, 01:20 AM   #1
Matt_50

Electric sander

I'd like to find a decent electric sander. I'm assuming a hardware store DA sander is different from auto body DA?

Ok, I do not have a big air compressor, I'm also working in my backyard so no shop and what air tools I had were stolen long before my air compressor went bad. So yes I know electric isn't the most popular but please give me your honest thoughts on electric sander.

I'm not looking for just a polisher either, I want to sand paint and do body work.

Can I get a decent one for 100 bucks? What lasts, what works best? Are any of you guys using an electric one?

Matt
Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
joedoh

Re: Electric sander

i use an electric 5" ryobi orbital when I smooth stuff out (which is almost never, dashes mostly). it was a return sale 1/2 off and I was tired of sanding by hand. it would be nice to have an air DA when I need just the rotation (thats the dual in dual action, you can switch it to just spin) for faster removal of old paint or rust, but otherwise some over the ear hearing protection is all i need for the electric. hook and loop pad and attached dust bag.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Black_Sheep

I used a Dewalt random orbital sander to sand the paint off my cab, it worked just fine
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Matt_50

Black_sheep, do you prefer it over a wire wheel and angle grinder? And do you guys have model numbers so I can look them up?
Old 09-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I used a Dewalt random orbital sander to sand the paint off my cab, it worked just fine
Can you post a link to that? I have wondered about the electric sanders that hook right to a vacuum. And with the amazing rechargeable battery tools I have used like ratchets and garden tools and such I would think quality rechargeable DA's and such are right around the corner.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
_Ogre

DA is DA, electric, air or whatever
my daughter just bought me a milwaukee M18 cordless
it has an impressive dust collection system with fan and pleated filter, plus vac attachment
rated at 35 min run time with 3ah battery, i have 3 4ah batts in my collection
just received it, have not used it yet

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
Matt_50

Battery operated stuff is getting pretty cool. A friend of mine recently got a battery powered weed wacker. She loves it, it's light and can do everything she needs to in one run.

And after watching a guy use his battery impact more often than the air powered one I added it to my list of new toys I need lol.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
DA is DA, electric, air or whatever

thats neat! I have a lot of milwaukee stuff too, I like their battery life.

(but thats not a DA, it says random orbit sander right on the side)

here is mine, Ryobi RS290, couple years old but still does the job.
Attached Images

Last edited by joedoh; 09-08-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
dsraven

some of these sanders are gear driven random orbit style while others have the pad mounted off center on the shaft with a bearing so it can spin independently of the shaft and a lever on the mechanism that allows the pad to spin off center in random orbit but then the lever can be moved over to lock the pad to the shaft so it spins with the shaft. they have less power in that last mode because the little motor is trying to spin the pad at motor speed instead of less than motor speed. these sanders rely on less pad pressure to keep the pad spinning. they orbit as well as spin with a little less pad pressure. too much pad pressure applied will stop the pad from spinning and cause the pad to sit in one spot and orbit or stop the pad on the project and the sander will orbit instead (out of your hands if not careful). lighter pressure will result in an orbit and a circular motion which is good for bodywork because it will be less prone to dig into paint or bondo and will leave a less ripplie (sp) surface.
Iusually sand with the latter style in an air sander but there are some air sanders that are more for finishing and some are more for roughing out. finishing sanders have less aggressive orbit motion.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #10
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
thats neat! I have a lot of milwaukee stuff too, I like their battery life.

(but thats not a DA, it says random orbit sander right on the side)

here is mine, Ryobi RS290, couple years old but still does the job.
Dual Action (unlocked) and random orbital are the same sanders
the only difference in DA and random orbit is that the DA can be locked out of random orbit
in the locked mode a DA becomes a seriously under-powered rotary sander/grinder
i currently have the same ryobi sander random orbital and a national detroit pneumatic DA
both sanders have the same offset axis and the same action in the unlocked mode

that ryobi has very good random orbital action of any electric sander
the biggest issue i've had is the offset axle bearing locking up and toasting the sanding platten
i went 4 of them in 5 years working on fiberglass of truk interior
the ryobi is also 10% the cost of the 18 year old national detroit

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 AM   #11
dsraven

I have an el cheapo deluxe dual action air sander that has a large offset and it hogs material off like crazy. if you open up the throttle on it you better be hanging on and not get close to an edge or it will remind you how much it vibrates as it is plucked from your hand. I also have another more spendy brand that is a lot finer of an orbital pattern. even if the throttle is wide open it is manageable easily. I have a smaller electric one but it is a 1/4 sheet sander so I use it in tight spots or square corners. Makita. works well but also has regular, non Velcro, paper clamps that tend to let the paper get loose. also the pad is a lot softer so the finish can vary in flatness.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:28 AM   #12
mr48chev

I've got a Ryobi that is probably the twin to the one that Joedoe has. It works good for what you do with DA.

Still there isn't one "fits all needs does everything sander. I have several 4-1/2 inch angle grinders both Black and Decker and the orange Harbor Freight. I bought their 40 something buck blue hercules a while back and it is pretty decent in comparison. You can use a cup brush, flap wheel, grinding disk or cut off disk on it. I've also got an Eastwood contour that I like the results I get with it but it is spendy and the sanding drums are spendy. I had some found money from selling something I didn't have any money tied up in and bought it on sale. It will work you if you aren't careful though.

I used that Ryobi for hours on end on the deck and cabin top on my sailboat a few years ago and it didn't wimper. For smoothing old paint down for a repaint they work great. It's hiding in the garage now because I haven't used it for a few years.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
Dual Action (unlocked) and random orbital are the same sanders
the only difference in DA and random orbit is that the DA can be locked out of random orbit
in the locked mode a DA becomes a seriously under-powered rotary sander/grinder
believe me I get it, saying "DA" is a colloquialism for a jittering sander, but as another example, a 4x4 has two driving axles and a 2wd just one driving axle, they both have 4 wheels and drive on the road, you may rarely even use the 4x4, but I couldnt call a 2wd a 4x4 in a for sale ad or anywhere else because it just isnt a 4x4

Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
Black_Sheep

https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...l-pad/dwe6421k
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #15
Team24

Due to limit air supply and limited budget I have used a harbor freight dual action polisher as an option for an electric DA with reasonable success. The 6 in pad can be changed out and i have used the soft foam backer pads on the hook and loop pad to soften the action. I paid $49 on sale. They have since changed the brand name to Bauer but it seems to be the same unit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-5...her-64528.html
Team24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #16
Matt_50

I found a 2.8 A SKIL for 40 bucks. Came in the mail yesterday and it's awesome! Adjustable revs, and the dhdt collection isn't half bad.