The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Newtynewt

Paint or dye seatbelts?

Anyone change the color of their belts. I used some duplicolor fabric paint on a small area and it seems to work ok. I also though of dye. Current olive green want to change to black.
Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Newtynewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Paint or dye seatbelts?

I've painted many seat belts. I use SEM and it comes in spray cans. Never had any issues.
Colorbond is another good product.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Newtynewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
I've painted many seat belts. I use SEM and it comes in spray cans. Never had any issues.
Colorbond is another good product.
Thanks hemi. I believe I’ll just spray these black and go with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Newtynewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
notsolo

Follow up for Hemi...Any Suggestions for marroon seat belts to flame red? Bright red body paint works best over white...didn't know if this was needed with seat belts also, And is the correct SEM called color coat....Thanks...Ed
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Follow up for Hemi...Any Suggestions for marroon seat belts to flame red? Bright red body paint works best over white...didn't know if this was needed with seat belts also, And is the correct SEM called color coat....Thanks...Ed
Yup, it's called Color coat. Unfortunately, most of their colors (SEM and Colorbond) tend to match common OEM interior colors. If you're looking for a bright red, you may have to get it custom mixed. Any good auto body supply store can do this , and even put it in a rattle can for you.
Years ago, I used to use Acrylic lacquer for painting trim but we can't readily get lacquer anymore. Another brand that was very good was called Mar-Hyde, but not sure if they are still around anymore.
If you're going from maroon to red on your seatbelts, you'll get excellent results. There's no need to spray it over white.
The reason bright red paint is nice to spray over a white sealer, is because it's easier to see what you're doing in the spraybooth. The final look of the paint has nothing to do with the color of the sealer used. I still prefer to have the sealer tinted close to the shade of the final paint mainly so that stone chips in the future don't stand out like a sore thumb. Another bonus to tinting the primer is the risk of shadows in the finish are reduced with some of the lower hiding paints.
The green you used on your truck is probably one of the most difficult colors to spray, because I'm sure it was pretty transparent judging by the silver base.

Last edited by hemi43; 04-04-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
notsolo

Thanks for the reply Hemi, I will try some SEM Flame red, looks close to the color I have.....if I had to do the Blazer again it would be a solid color, I have painted a dozen trucks/ cars...in the last 40 yrs...still a noob at it. The Blazer was my best yet. Another custom mix on my current project red /orange....Sorry for the thread hyjack...Newtynewt
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #7
trukman1

Sweet Project Cars has some good videos on You Tube on color changing carpet and seats using RIT dye. Might check that out. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukman1 View Post
Sweet Project Cars has some good videos on You Tube on color changing carpet and seats using RIT dye. Might check that out. Just a suggestion.
RIT dye is designed for fabrics and has to be applied with heat like boiling water and is not recommended for carpets or any other automotive use. Just because someone did it on YouTube, doesn't mean it will work. The dye will rub off, and the pigment not strong enough to re-color automotive trim.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
trukman1

Hemi43,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that and was planning on doing it to my carpet and seats.

That would have been a disaster having that dye rub off on my clothing. I just thought the guy was a pro and probably knew what he was talking about. Good feedback.

Thanks again for saving me from making a BIG mistake. I'll be more careful in the future and check this board before believing what I see on You Tube.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukman1 View Post
Hemi43,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that and was planning on doing it to my carpet and seats.

That would have been a disaster having that dye rub off on my clothing. I just thought the guy was a pro and probably knew what he was talking about. Good feedback.

Thanks again for saving me from making a BIG mistake. I'll be more careful in the future and check this board before believing what I see on You Tube.
I just checked the RIT website, and here's what they say;
https://www.ritdye.com/faqs/dyeable-...and-materials/

I have painted a carpet in the past, but went from a worn faded black carpet back to black just to freshen it up. It worked well, but I don't think a color change would be possible. The product I used was made by Mar Hyde, and was available in quart cans. This is years ago. I recall once the paint dried the carpet was really stiff and crispy, but after a bit of vacuuming it looked and felt pretty good .

FWIW, I did use the RIT dye to color white plastic R/C car rims and parts. It worked pretty good.